SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are the scriptures alone sufficient to teach us doctrine?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Are the scriptures alone sufficient to teach us doctrine?

Probably one would say yes to the above question. Yet I really wonder do we believe that the scriptures and the scriptures alone are sufficient to teach us doctrine.

We read in church history that the cry of the Reformation was Sola scriptura. Or solely by scripture. The confessions that came out of the Reformation tell us that the Bible alone is the only infallible rule of faith and practice.

Yet I propound this question to the forum. Are the scriptures alone sufficient to teach us doctrine? Or do we resort to the systematic theology to teach us doctrine?

In other words if I came on this forum and tried to present a case for infant baptism. Should I use the scriptures alone to present such a case or do I resort to the systematic theology of our Rwformed brethren to set forth this practice?

So in arguing doctrine I ask again. Or rather if we are trying to discuss doctrine I ask again is it reasonable to appeal to the Bible and the Bible alone to establish doctrine? Or do we resort to systematic theology to set forth doctrine.

I am wondering what the forum thinks. Do we truly believe that the Bible alone is the only infallible rule of faith and practice. And do we appeal to the Bible alone to establish our doctrine?

What thank ye.

Bro Blaine

2017/5/29 9:49
Martyr

United States

Re: Are the scriptures alone sufficient to teach us doctrine?

That's a silly question, of course its the bible alone! It says that on almost every page of the New testament!!! Remember what Jesus said, "if I go to the father I will send you the rest of the book and it will guide you into all truth?" Or, "he who reads my book from him will flow rivers of living water?"

2017/5/29 10:55Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re: Are the scriptures alone sufficient to teach us doctrine?

I would say we cant understand the Bible unless the Lord shows us things.

2Corinthians 3V14
But their minds were closed; indeed, until this very day, the same veil remains over the reading of the Old Testament: it is not lifted, for only in Christ is it done away with.
3:15 As it is, to this day, whenever Moses is read, their hearts are covered with a veil,
3:16 and this veil will not be taken away till they turn to the Lord.

Thats just an example.

We have many believers blinded by the grace message when it is taken to extreme limits and they cannot understand the doctrines of repentance and of leaving our past behind as being important.

2017/5/29 12:14Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

I think David Keel has put it absolutely right.
It is the scriptures, with the help of the Holy Spirit.

It is not the Holy Spirit alone (that would give rise to a multitude of strange doctrines being un challangeable), nor is it the bible alone without the Spirit ( as this will result in man's interpretation and doctrine).
I guess what Bear is alluding to in systematic theology is the later option?

"All scripture is profitable for doctrine, reproof and training in righteousness".

2017/5/29 12:27Profile

Re: Tyler

___That's a silly question___

Agreed my brother. The question is pretty silly. But there is a reason I ask it.

When I was in the Calvinistic movement I was told that one cannot really understand the scriptures apart from consulting systematic theologies and commentaries. These Calvinistic brethren who would cry out Sola Scriptura. Then would say that one would have to resort outside resources to understand the scriptures. Particularly if one was trying to teach a doctrine that the scriptures did not teach.

I have already alluded to one such doctrine that being infant baptism. The scriptures do not teach the baptism of babies. So our Reformed brethren then must resort to a complicated system of theology to defend such practice.

Bro Blaine

2017/5/29 12:30

Re: David

___I would say we cant understand the Bible unless the Lord shows us things.___

Agreed brother. But then that would imply trusting the Holy Spirit alone to give one revelation out of the Bible. That would also employ one to have faith. It seems that most of Chris atom is far more comfortable with trusting a systematic theology or a commentary to open up the scriptures as opposed to trusting the Spirit.

Simply my thought.

Bro Blaine

2017/5/29 12:40

Re: HeyDave

___I think David Keel has put it absolutely right.
It is the scriptures, with the help of the Holy Spirit.___

I agree brother. But there are those who would say that we must resort to systematic theology or commentaries to shape or doctrine. Rather than trusting the teaching ninistry of the Holy Spirit to give us revelation insight out of the scriptures.

Bro Blaine

2017/5/29 12:42
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

Hi Brother Blaine,

I see what you are saying. Its by the Lords grace isnt it that He corrects us in the error of our ways.?
To those whose hearts are fathful in wanting to follow and be corrected in our error he will put a warning in our spirits. I think its when personal ambition gets in the way our conscience cannot hear the Lord instructing us to return back to point A.

2017/5/29 13:04Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

Quote from bear master: When I was in the Calvinistic movement I was told that one cannot really understand the scriptures apart from consulting systematic theologies and commentaries. These Calvinistic brethren who would cry out Sola Scriptura.

This kind of hypocrisy is very unfortunate. I see this a lot. Particularly in the way that Protestants say they must admit to the authority of the scriptures but their very root is founded in a german monk who 1. shunned the authority of the apostolic church and decided HE would form his own church with his own beliefs and 2. picked and chose what he wanted in the bible, including what books he considered canonical.

I wonder why a man who wanted to do his own thing and needed an authority to back it up would come up with and push the doctrine of sola scriptura...

Christ is Truth, lets see things as they really are (no matter how uncomfortable). It is the Truth that sets us free.

The sad thing is we think we accept sola scriptura because its what we believe when in fact we were taught and it is in its root still the teaching of Martin Luther. I would like to ask the board at what point when studying the teachings of Martin Luther did they choose to accept his doctrine and understanding concerning the bible? Or did they just open their mouth and eat the food that has been being passed down from 500 years ago?

2017/5/29 13:16Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

If I show you a glass of water you will think "Oh, there's a glass of water." If I tell you there's poison in it then how you view and think about that glass will not be the same. Because you have had something put into you (in this case the knowledge that it is poison) your entire viewpoint and way of thinking about that water has been changed to its very core.

This is what the truth does. When one is filled with Spirit of God and given Wisdom and Knowledge and Understanding our viewpoint is completely changed. You see it's not a thought. I can tell you my thoughts about the water now knowing what I know but I cannot impart to you the radical change of heart towards it because that change has taken place not in the mind but in the heart.

How we view the scriptures can only be properly conveyed by the Spirit who operates on that level I was talking about. It's entirety can NEVER be contained within a doctrine. This world lacks the means of conveying that. Our religion is one of spirit not of words. Words are a means of communicating for the flesh and we are to be no longer of the flesh but of the spirit.

So my advice would be to throw out your latin phrases and your books and seek the Living God who is Spirit and let him lead you and guide you in the word and out of it and do not fear the Truth.

2017/5/29 13:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy