SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Seven Major Views of the Atonement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
docs

Re: Scriptures supporting the Ransom View of the Atonement

The ransom view of the atonement advocates that by His death Jesus paid a ransom to Satan to secure freedom for those Satan held in bondage.

45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to give His life a ransom for many. (Mark 10:45)

28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and give His life a ransom for many. (Matt 20:28)

6 who gave Himself as a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. (I Timothy 2:6)

14 Inasmuch then as the chilldren have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is the devil

15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. (Heb 2:14-15)

28 - to shepherd the church of God, which He purchased (ransomed) with His own blood. (Acts 20:28)

20 For you were bought (ransomed) with a price, therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's. (I Cor 6:20)

23 You were bought at a price, therefore do not be slaves of men. (I Cor 7:23)

Criticisms of the Ransom View:

- The Bible never speaks of us owing anything to Satan.

- This view gives more credit to Satan than he deserves.

- This view neglects the Biblical view that whatever we owe because of our sin is owed to God.

- The Bible does speaks of Christ' death as a ransom but any transaction or ransom that took place took place between the Father and the Son.

2017/5/20 11:44Profile

Re:

Dearest David!

I am in Minneapolis! Do you ever get down here?

Thank you for your question!

I realize in reflecting on my emphatic reply to William that I did not provide much about my belief or how I arrived where I am at on the topic.

Truth be told, I am still in study mode and have never given in depth time to the variety of atonement views explicitly. I was a member of Bethlehem Baptist Church (John Piper) for 15 years and that is where most of my theology was formed during my young adult years. I was a hard core Calvinist everything during much of that time.

But recently I have been studying what a pacifist Jesus was (is), and had literally just listened to a podcast that mentioned the Christus Victor view of atonement amidst decrying conservative Christians often "Pro-war/patriotic/in the name of freedom/kill the bad guys" political stance. They were discussing what a disconnect there seems to be among Christians who say they follow Jesus, but then support war. So that was fresh on my mind when coming to this thread.

So when I read William's post, it hit me in just the right way to get excited by association.

Now, after doing some more thinking and reading since then, I'm compelled that it's not as cut and dried as "one view", of the 7 listed, but more of a blend as others have suggested. But I'm delighted to be learning more about Christus Victor view!

So, that's a short back story for now. I apologize for the choppy flow and lack of depth! It's late and I'm typing on my phone before going to sleep, but wanted to reply before any more time passed.

Thank you again for asking and caring!

Love,
Caleb

P.S. Your Scriptural references are so helpful in understanding more about the varying views! Bless you and thank you for your labors! I have much to learn still!

2017/5/22 23:17
docs

Re:

Yes I have been down to Minneapolis three or four times since I have been here in Bemidji. I find myself wanting to speand a little more time in Minneapolis just to look around and see things.

I like reading Joh Piper and listening to him. Your views may have changed a bit but I'm sure the Lord imparted many good things to you during your time spent in his church.

I may not should venture into it but I'm not sure sincere Christians desire or support war. It's just so many times peaceful law abiding nations are pushed to the brink by war mongering agresssive expansionist nations and at some point conflict becomes inevitable. You fight or you get conquered. Atheistic Communism, Nazi fascism and Japanese conquer and grab expansionsim had to be fought as well as Islam's present plans need to be but the best place to fight is in the prayer closet. Wholesale nationwide repentance by Amercia at this point would place it in a much stronger position to survive what is coming against it.

I'm intrigued a bit also by the overlap in the seven major views of the atonement. All of them add something to a degree except maybe the Moral influnce view which is favored many times by liberal theologians and Christians. Isaiah 53 points stongly toward a penal substituion type of atonement in my opinion - "He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him" (Isaiah 53:5. I admit though it is surrounded by controversy in more quarters than I was formerly aware of. "It pleased the Lord to bruise Him. He has put him to grief,"(Isaiah 53:10) remains a stumblimgblock for many.

It's good hearing from you and I'll be sharing a bit more in this thread as time allows.

Blessings to you and yours.

2017/5/23 11:14Profile
drchris

India

Re: Seven Major Views of the Atonement

I believe in a modified Ransom and Christus Victor theory of atonement.

Jesus gave his life as a ransom for all (1 Timothy 2:6, Matthew 20:28, Mark 10:45)
Jesus came to ransom Israel (Lk 1:68, 24:21)
Jesus ransomed us from the futile ways that we inherited from our fathers (1Peter 1:18)[inherited by practicing what we observe]
Jesus ransomed us from the law (Gal 3:13), from the sins under the first covenant (Heb 9:15). This would be one of those places where Leonard Ravenhill would get on with - Are you saved from lying? Are you saved from murdering? Are you saved from drunkenness? Are you saved from adultery?
Jesus ransomed us FOR God (Rev 5:9). Jesus was delivered up FOR our transgressions (Rom 4:25)
We have been delivered from the kingdom of darkness (Col 1:13) and from the present evil age (Gal 1:4) and from lifelong slavery because of our fear of death (Heb 2:15). And now because we are delivered from the hand of our enemies, we can fearlessly serve God (Lk 1:74).

We are given authority over all the evil one and for those who remain faithful to the end, authority to rule (Lk 10:19, Rev 2:26,27)

Christ has given us the ability to live holy lives.

2017/6/5 9:35Profile
docs

Re:

Thank you for your reply and your input.

No doubt the Ransom View of the atonement holds a lot of weight as well foes the Christus Victor view.

Thank you.

2017/6/5 12:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy