SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Hell and Everlasting Punishment, Part 1: Abiding Wrath

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Hell and Everlasting Punishment, Part 1: Abiding Wrath

Hell and Everlasting Punishment
Part 1: Abiding Wrath

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth no the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him" (John 3:36). This verse says that the wrath of God abides on the sinner right now and if he dies unsaved God's wrath will abide on him forever. "But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgement of God; But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath." (Romans 2:5,8).

"Let this awful word Wrath, settle into the conscience of every soul; for God hath spoken it!" And every Preacher, and every prophet of God has warned of it: Enoch, Noah, Moses, the Psalmists, Isaiah, John the Bapist with his 'flee from the wrath to come;' the Apostles - from Romans to Revelation; and the great Preachers and Evangelists of the Christian centuries, - the men who have won souls - the Reformers, the Puritans, the Wesleys, Whitefields, Edwardses, Finneys, Spurgeons, Moodys, - all have told of man's guilt and danger, of the coming judgment, and of the wrath of God upon the impenitent and unbelieving."
-William R. Newell

"There are the black clouds of God's wrath now hanging directly over your heads, full of the dreadful storm, and big with thunder; and were it not for the restraining hand of God it would immediately burst forth upon you. The sovereign pleasure of God, for the present, stays His rough wind. Otherwise it would come with fury, and your destruction would come like a whirlwind, and you would be like the chaff of the summer threshing floor. The wrath of Godis like great waters that are damned for the present. They increase more and more, and rise higher and higher, till an outlet is given. The longer the stream is stopped, the more rapid and mighty is its course, when once it is let loose...

And consider here more paticularly whose wrath it is. It is the wrath of an infinite God... It is the fierceness of His wrath that you are exposed to. Thus we read of 'the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.' (Rev 19:15). The words are exceedingly terrible, if only it had been said, 'the wrath of God', the wrod would have implied that which is infinitly dreadful. But it is said, 'the fierceness and wrath of God'. The fury of God! The fierceness of Jehovah! Oh, how dreadful that be! It is everlasting wrath. It would be dreadful to suffer this fierceness and wrath of Almighty God one moment; but you must suffer it for all eternity. There will be no end to this exquisite, horrible misery...

How dreadful is the state of those that are daily and hourly in danger of this great wrath and infinite misery! But this is the dismal case of every soul that has not been born again. however moral and strict, sober and religious, they may otherwise be. Oh, that you would consider it, whether you are young or old! Therefore, let everyone that is out of Christ now awake and flee fromt he wrath to come. The wrath of Almighty God is now undoubtedly hanging over every unregenerate sinner."
-Jonathan Edwards

Hearing such solemn admonitions about the reality of an abiding wrath must make us stop and consider how we are living our lives, the soul that God has given us to be accountable for. How short is time, how long is eternity! May we do violence to our normal thinking and actions and place our thoughts firmly on these eternal subjects that will be life to us if we allow them to be.

2005/6/15 11:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Hell and Everlasting Punishment, Part 1: Abiding Wrath

This saying that Spurgeon told his audience once is very sombering to add to this article: " The Puritans tell a story of a woman convinced of sin on her death-bed, who lived near Cambridge, who was visited by several ministers, all of whom had great skill in comforting seeking souls. When five or six of them had spoken gently and comfortingly to her, she opened her eyes upon them with a glare, and all she said was this, “Call back the time, call back the time, for otherwise I am damned.” And so she died."

What an encouraging thought that we right now can ponder on these things with reverence and fear still having "time" and as believers being able to "redeem the time" for truly these days are evil in which we live. May none of us say at our death beds "call back the time!"

2005/6/15 16:54Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Our dear Redeemer, whose lips are as lilies dropping sweet-smelling myrrh, in great tenderness of heart warned men of the sure result of their sins; and none used stronger or more alarming language than he did concerning the future of ungodly men. He knew nothing of that pretended sympathy which will rather let men perish than warn them against perishing. Such tenderness is merely selfishness excusing itself from a distasteful duty."
-C.H. Spurgeon

"Go and sin no more lest something worse befall you."
-Jesus Christ

2005/6/17 12:31Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

bro greg
i'm following this thread and as i look around me i've been shown that the majority of people will repent after a taste of the wrath of God. there is a despair i feel which just won't leave me alone and it is the grief that God is feeling over having to pour the judgement out. it didn't have to be this way. the way of the world is such that sin for the most part is passed off as "lifestyle" or "i'm only human" and it is tolerated. if we had more of a sense of the consequence of sin, it would be less appealing. in short, the consequence of sin will remain an abstract thing untill the judgement is made manifest for all to see, then all men will know yet some may remain in denial of the wages of sin and the anger of God at sin.

For too long the holiness of God has been trampled on by us all. We are experiencing and wil experience futher the Holiness of God by way of His wrath.it seems we only respond to God or seek Him in earnest in times of adversity. i see God raising up many many mighty men and women during this time because many people will look earnestly for Him in those days.

2005/6/17 13:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Thank you brother,

I do feel these messages are timely and I do encourage you to follow along and let the Lord appropriate the severity of the message to your heart. Lord teach us what it is to live eternity counsious in time!

2005/6/17 16:55Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

bro greg
James and I had been talking some time ago and found it surprising that with the increase i ungodliness all about, that it is a wonder that God HASN'T poured out His wrath already. i suppose this has sort of lulled the majority into writing off the wrath of God as something of the O.T. so when it does come it will be doubly harsh, shock and awe for real...God has been laying that on me lately but also the importance of praising and worshipping Him in spirit and truth and spending time in His presence.

2005/6/17 19:14Profile
todd

California

I hope to learn more about this subject of hell because I don't think I've ever studied it in a focused way. Plus, when I read about Larry King's question concerning if Muslims will go to hell, I felt like, "Yes, obviously", but then I couldn't think of any Scripture's to prove it.

Quote:
"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not on the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him" (John 3:36). This verse says that the wrath of God abides on the sinner right now and if he dies unsaved God's wrath will abide on him forever."

Does it really say that? I see that it says that the wrath of God abides on the unbeliever right now, but I don't see how it speaks about it abiding on him forever if he dies without Christ.

2005/7/10 18:45Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Brother Todd, this is great, I am very glad that you are benefiting from this study and look at the theme of Hell. It is a very serious and at times mind numbing topic to even meditate on. I am very prayerful and weary as I post these articles. Do check here: Hell and Everlasting Punishment (article series), often because I am posting articles daily as I can. I estimate there will be over 30 articles on all the different facets of hell and information from past speakers on the subject.

I think thats a great question that you are pondering on, the Scriptures definetly speak more of the "eternal" (everlasting life) rather then the "eternal" perishing. John 3:15 is a good frame work for this: "That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."

I do think if we take all the gospels in context that Jesus refers to over and over again to an eternal suffering where the worm dieth not. A place were there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. The wicked will have their reward.

Keep thinking and sharing scriptures brother, this is great. Till we all reach unto the perfect man in Christ.

2005/7/10 19:03Profile
todd

California

Re:

Here's one thing I'm thinking about.

John 17:3
"And this is eternal life, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent."

Eternal life is not just something we experience after we die, we can taste of it now.

I wonder if eternal wrath, hell, etc. is like that. It's not only an experience after death but it is experienced even now. That place of weeping and gnashing of teeth, outer darkness, and the furnace of fire. I wonder if these are like qualities of experience that can be tasted of, in part, now and will be more fully experienced later on for some.

I guess what I getting at is this. Is it possible that those who die without Christ will go to a place of eternal torment, but they might not remain there forver? This may seem like a paradoxical statement, unless we look deeper at that word "eternal" (aionios, #166). Could it be that they experience eternal punishment, destruction, hell, but aren't necessarily stuck there forever?

Jude 7 says that Sodom and Gomorrah experienced "eternal" (ainios) fire. But is it still burning there?

In the same way, could it be that unbelievers will be punished with "eternal" destruction for a season (some more, some less), but then get saved and live forever in Heaven?

2005/7/10 20:45Profile
taco

Re:

Quote:
Jude 7 says that Sodom and Gomorrah experienced "eternal" (ainios) fire. But is it still burning there?

Indeed, and ezekiel 16 speaks of Sodom's future restoration -v55 When thy sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate, and Samaria and her daughters shall return to their former estate, then thou (Jerusalem) and thy daughters shall return to your former estate.

A very good book on this subject is Jan Bonda's "The one purpose of God" available through Amazon.

2005/7/11 5:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy