SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Have we been misinterpreting "head" in Eph 5?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Have we been misinterpreting "head" in Eph 5?

http://www.charismamag.com/spirit/bible-study/32547-have-we-been-misinterpreting-the-word-head-in-ephesians-5

2017/5/5 14:21Profile
proudpapa

Re: Have we been misinterpreting "head" in Eph 5?

My Wife read that artical to me last night , My opinion it is awful and an attack on the Family unit my wife agree'd with me.

No wounder we have women as bread winners and boys wanting to where dresses and use the girls bathrooms.

from the artical : "This data supports a new understanding in Christ by which men and women are viewed in a mutually supportive, submissive relationship."

The context of Eph. 5 plus other Scriptures such as 1 Cor. speak clearly how the Family unit is a hierarchical unit with the man as the head of the Woman. vs The Church in which is a hierarchical unit in so mush that God is the Head of Christ and Christ is the Head of man and all men are Brethren

2017/5/5 14:43Profile
proudpapa

It does not matter what kind of Games people want to play with the Greek, The context of the Eph. verse is clear and consistant with the rest of Scripture on the topic :

22Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 24Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

1 Peter 3 :
1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

5For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands: 6Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well,

Col : 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

1 Corinthians 14:35
And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Tim 2 :
9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Titus 2 : 3The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 4That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

2017/5/5 15:04Profile
Yana2

Denmark

Wayne Grudem has a long and thorough article on the subject (quite technical, just skim it):

https://biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/tj/kephale_grudem.pdf

To put it succinctly, there is close to no evidence that "head" was used in ancient Greek with the meaning "source". It is something that scholars with feminists views more or less made up in order to come to terms with that passage. Like proudpapa writes, there are other passages that confirm the head-as-authority reading, so even if "source" were a possible translation, "head" would be much more likely considering e.g. the passage from Peter. Charisma magazine are pretty feminist when it comes to women's issues like eldership/teaching eligibility, so it doesn't surprise me that they would take this stance, but it's a very forced one. I find it disappointing that they would try to muddy clear waters.

Hope that clears it up a little. :)

2017/5/5 15:33Profile
savannah

Q. Have we been misinterpreting "head" in Eph 5?

A. NO

2017/5/5 16:13Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Pp wrote: "It does not matter what kind of Games people want to play with the Greek, The context of the Eph. verse is clear and consistant with the rest of Scripture on the topic"

I agree. Verse 24 settles it, which of course the article ignores.

2017/5/5 16:45Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Paul finishes Eph. 5 this way, "31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband."

Jesus left His father to be joined to His bride so that He and His bride could be one. This is why marriage and a Biblically structured family is so vitally important. The type, the institution of human marriage, is so important and holy because of the importance and holiness of the reality that it typifies. If we get marriage mixed up, we cause all sorts of confusion as we try to teach the relationship that we have with Christ.

Paul says, "Look guys, I am really not talking about human marriage so much here, but what I am trying to do is to help you to understand your relationship with God through Christ as His bride. However, what I am saying is important to human relationships as well, so Husbands, love your wives and wives, reverence your husbands."

For someone to seek Biblical grounds to alter the order of marriage is really, in my opinion, simply a person who already seeks to alter the order of the relationship between Christ and His bride the church. He is the head. We are the body. We submit to Him just as our own brains coordinate and control the actions of our own bodies. But if I don't really want Christ as my head, what better way to demonstrate that then to rewrite the type of human marriage to fit my desires.

2017/5/6 15:06Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Travis: You nailed it. Well done.

2017/8/29 22:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy