SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Where do we draw the line between false doctrine and lack of knowledge?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Where do we draw the line between false doctrine and lack of knowledge?

Dear brethren,

I am thinking these days about the following: Where should I draw the line between false doctrine and immaturity, lack of knowledge, being babe in Christ? Where should we continue with longsufferring and where should we loudly steadfastly refuse to go on in particular direction (in a local church)?

I know that many people speak and give their opinion on unity among the believers. From my experience it is something God Himself creates, while we have to keep it: "Endeavouring to KEEP the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." (Eph. 4:3)

My question may sound somewhat strange, but I'll be glad if any can give godly answer.

I have often heard that we should be united on "essentials" and should not divide ourselves on "non-essentials". Now, I think most of us will agree on "the principles of the doctrine of Christ" (Hebrew 6:1-3). But what are these "non-essentials"? Is marriage essential? Divorce, Remarriage? The doctrine of baptism with the Holy Ghost? Head Covering? Modesty? Where do you stop and say... "No, I cannot go further so!" I am sure we need the spirit of discernment.

I could not go on in a church that agreed that a divorced man/woman can remarry or remain remarried while his former spouse/husband is alive. For me that is ESSENTIAL. "Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous." (Hebrews 13:4) And I do not want in any case to cause divisions among brethren... but I do not want to live a lie, and to live in a lie. I do not want to let other die, just because... we have to be united!

God, help us!

2017/3/18 9:16Profile
dohzman

Re: Where do we draw the line between false doctrine and lack of knowledge?

iJN 2 the entire chapter

2017/3/18 10:48Profile
savannah

"...what are these "non-essentials"?"

A very good question indeed!

So...just where do these so-called non-essentials cross over the line and become essentials?

"Where should we continue with longsufferring and where should we loudly steadfastly refuse to go on in particular direction (in a local church)?"

You've given one example of your own, and I am sure that others, as well as myself, could also do the same.

So...I'll wait on some others to chime in. And maybe I will post again on this, and maybe not.

Thanks for this very probing question.

2017/3/18 11:32Profile
Jeremy221

This sermon by T Austin Sparks seems to be on this topic.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=1415

2017/3/18 20:40Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Thank you all for the responses! I still hope that others will also join the discussion.

@dohzman - I think the entire chapter covers more than one topic. Nevertheless, I will just need to take more time for it... because I read it but I cannot say that I have received the answer to my question.

@Jeremy - I did not know about the sermon. He puts it very well: "One thing Paul could not countenance on any account was compromise. He was capable of being both very forceful and forbearing, but he was not capable of being double." How do you achieve that?

Is it the same with bringing up children? Even spiritual children...? That you somehow sense the time when you have to be very hard and time to be forbearing?

2017/3/20 14:19Profile
dohzman

Re: Follow up question

I think that you have to approach this issue one of a few ways.

If from leadership over a local assembly than you may have some control over the direction, if you are talking about being part of a fellowship and you start to take a different path, than rather than cause a schism you may need to find a fellowship with like minded believers in Christ. If you are talking as one who is discipling another on an individual basis than I would reduce 1Jn 2 to some very basics, the babe understands forgiveness of sin, the young man/woman victory over sin/satan the elder in Christ knows the mind of God, etc...

Ultimately though you are correct, the direction and the wisdom and knowledge you bring into your own circumstances are yours alone and like a wise man/woman you have taken the proverb to heart, in the multitude of counsel there is safety. I trust that God who is faithful will direct your path into the very heart of Christ on the matters that you seek an answer on. God Bless DMiller

2017/3/20 16:32Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. (2 Timothy 4:2-4)

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
(2Timothy 3:16,17)

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)

2017/3/20 21:46Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Thank you dohzman and Mike!

Quote:
I trust that God who is faithful will direct your path into the very heart of Christ on the matters that you seek an answer on.

Amen! I do, too!

2017/3/22 17:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy