SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Islam - People of the Book

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Islam - People of the Book

Has anyone had any dealings with anyone believing in People of the Book?

The reason I ask is that I have a friend whose daughter is now in college and she has started FB messaging me about my beliefs in the Bible and how they compare to the People of the Book. I had no idea what this was and I do not believe that her mother knows she is reading the Koran (and BELIEVING it)!! Daughter is an adult and before I involve mom (who will not handle this well), I want to find out what I can because she seems to be taken with it.

I know none of what I've seen so far is true, like this... "Why do Muslims consider Jews and Christians to be people of the book?

Muslims consider Jews and Christians to be “People of the Book” because they believe that the Jewish and Christian scriptures were inspired by God in much the same way that the Koran was. They honor the Jewish and Christian prophets and consider them to be important prophets in Islam as well."

Where did this come from? Is it a moderate Islam? I will check back to see if anyone has any info later. If you do thank you.

2017/3/16 7:22Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re: Islam - People of the Book

Once you send your young people to college thay will be indoctrinated. They'll learn all sorts of amazing things, evolution, humanism, poliitcs, drinking, how Christianity is false, how mom and dad are old foggies and out of touch, and all sorts of bad behavior. Even how to protest for free education.

Likewise, if they join the military they get indoctrinated. It's ok to kill whoever for whatever. There'll be meetings among the men to try to get more, more, more on the GI bill.
There they learn the same things as college.

And on it goes. I've been to college and in the Air Force too. That's how I know.

We live in the belly of the Beast; the two legs and ten toes. We've adapted in every way, ditched the Hebrew calendar for Rome's, we love Rome's holdays, and style of government, and usually her form of religion.

Imagine Jesus waking up in Matthew 40: Jesus listed to the news on ABC (Always be Careful) as the Reader shouted the news. Hearing Halloween was coming thought it would be a great idea to get a mask and Venture out like Satan, scare a few. Oh yes a Bud Lite would do nicely. That's the world we live in. (Facetious)

Satan has wanted your children for a long time. Therefore,
we need to teach our children when they are young. They have no knowledge of the important things. Most don't even know WHY they go to church, WHY things are the way they are, or WHY Jesus came. Church sermons are pretty shallow these days

God help us. I Pray for the Kingdom to come

2017/3/16 9:49Profile

Re:

Lysa moderare Muslims will try to tell you that Islam is a religion of peace. They will say that Mohammed is simply a prophet. Like Moses and Jesus Mohammed is carrying on a revelation of God. The Quarum is a book like the Bible. The Muslims believe it is the final revelation through Muhammad. The final revelation of their God Allah.

What they won't tell you is that Muslims are to kill the people of the book because they are non believers in Allah.

Matt Slick from the Christian Apologetic Research Ministry gives a short paper on Islam. I will try to post it.

Bro Blaine

2017/3/16 9:57

Re: Matt Slick on Islam.

What is Islam?
dome of the rock

by Matt Slick

Islam (1.2 billion adherents) is one of the major world religions that, along with Christianity (1.9 billion adherents) and Judaism (14 million adherents), teaches monotheism which is the doctrine that there is only one God in all existence. Like Christianity and Judaism, Islam traces its roots back to the patriarch Abraham (Gen. 12). The word "Islam" means "surrender" or "submission"1 and it comes from the root word "salem" which means "surrender." A Muslim (or Moslem--which means one who surrenders to God) is an adherent of Islam, a religion with precise theological doctrines about God, judgment, heaven, hell, angels, prophets, salvation, etc. The Arabic word for god is "allah" which has become a kind of name of God in Islam. Islam teaches that Allah is the one and only deity in all existence (Qur'an 5:73; 112:1-4). He is supreme, all-knowing (40:20), ever-present, different from all of creation (3:191), and in complete control of all things. According to Islam, Allah created the universe in six days (2:29; 25:61-62), and all that is in it continues to exist by his permission and will. Allah is non-Trinitarian (5:73), but he is absolute and eternal.

The Koran (or Qur'an, which means "the reading" in Arabic) is the sacred book of Islam and is broken up into 114 chapters called Suras which cover the subjects of ethics, history, law, and theology. It is highly revered by Muslims as the direct, literal word of God. The Qur'an (also spelled Quran and Koran) was delivered by the angel Gabriel (also known as the Holy Spirit) to Muhammad over a 23-year period after Muhammad's initial encounter with Gabriel in a cave when he was 40 years old. Muslims consider Muhammad (full name of Muhammad Ibn Abdullah) to be the final prophet of God to the world. Muhammad was born in A.D. 570 in Mecca and died in A.D. 632.

Second only to the Islamic belief in the unity/oneness of God is the supremacy of Muhammad as Allah's prophet. But, Islam acknowledges that several prophets preceded Muhammad. The major ones are Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, and Jesus. These prophets gave revelations from God which were written as scriptures; mainly, the Old and New Testaments. These predecessors to Muhammad are considered great prophets who spoke for God to specific people and whose message was meant for that time. Jesus, according to Islam, was simply one of many prophets. Therefore, Muslims deny the Christian doctrine of the deity of Jesus, the need for His atoning sacrifice (4:157-158), the Trinity (5:73), and much more. According to Islam, no sacrifice is needed to be forgiven, only faith in Allah, sincere repentance, and obedience to Islamic law (3:135; 7:8-9; 21:47; 49:14; 66:8-9). In fact, in Islam, the greatest of sins, called shirk, is to attribute "partners" to God. In other words, to say that God is a Trinity of persons is an unforgivable sin to a Muslim.

In addition to the Qur'an is the Hadith. It is another source of authority in Islam though it is second to the Qur'an. The Hadith is a collection of the sayings and deeds of Muhammad as recorded by his companions. They are oral traditions and are considered authoritative and instructive as commentaries and applications of Qur'anic principles and contain additional principles not found in the Qur'an. According to Islam, the Hadith are the inspired truths of God transmitted to us in the style and words of Muhammad. By contrast, the Quran is supposed to be the exact words of Allah which are is supposed to be protected from corruption by him.

In Islam, all Muslims are united by the common faith irrespective of class, location, race, or gender. Therefore, they have a special bond of unity and equality. The primary "truth" of Islam is found in the first pillar of Islam known as the shahda: "There is no true God except Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah."

Islamic theology also teaches that angels were created from light; that jinn are another race of beings, created from fire, who are invisible yet all around us; that there is an eternal judgment to Paradise for the good and hell for the bad; that Jesus was never crucified; and that drinking alcohol is forbidden as is gambling.

Within the first two centuries after its inception in Arabia, Islam spread very quickly, often aided by the sword (jihad),2 into North Africa, up through Europe to Spain, and east to India. Presently, about 1 billion people are Muslim world-wide with adherents on every continent and nation. It is perhaps the world's fastest-growing religion and second in size only to Christianity.

Like most ancient religions, there are sects. Islam is no different. The major sects in Islam are the Sunni and the Shiites. The Sunni are the largest group and comprise about 90% of all Muslims. The Shiites, though smaller in number, are significant in Islamic history and presently occupy the lands of Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Saudi-Arabia, Yemen, and Persian Gulf states.

The most important place of worship for the Muslim is the Mosque which is always pointed towards Mecca which is the birthplace of Muhammad and is located in Saudi Arabia. All Muslims must face Mecca during their times of prayer because in Mecca there is the Ka'aba, a cube structure allegedly built by Abraham which contains a sacred stone. When a Muslim is in Mecca, he or she faces the Ka'aba.

Many Muslims hope for shari'ah, the complete rule of Islamic law in the world. To this end, Muslims are seeking more converts, attacking other religious systems both by the sword and by word, moving into every nation, and seeking political power wherever they can achieve it. Islam is a growing and aggressive religion that seeks to submit everyone on the planet to its rule.

2017/3/16 10:02

Re:

Sister encourage your friend's daughter to read the New Testament and to seek out Jesus. Also, you may want to direct your friend's daughter to the book by Tom Doyle called Dreans and Visions. This brother describes the experiences of Muslims who are having experience of Jesus through dreams and visions. As such, they are choosing to follow him.

I only recommend the book because maybe it might open up the the heart of your friends daughter to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Bro Blaine

2017/3/16 10:06
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

This was her first question to me, "Is there anything wrong with becoming Muslim? They worship the same god." Of which, I proceeded with, "Christianity and Islam is not the same religion nor do we worship the same God. You will hear some preachers say, 'God is allah' but you will NEVER hear a Muslim say 'allah is God.' Never."

She then asked, "THEN WHY IN THE QURAN ARE CHRISTIANS AND JEW PEOPLE OF THE SCRIPTURE?" And in the Quran it says 62. Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve."

I asked her, "How can a true Jew believe in Allah?" How can a true Christian believe in Allah?" They cannot, it is a play on words.

She also said, "I don't understand how my family is okay with with Jews, who don't believe in Jesus but hate Muslims who don't believe Jesus was the son of god."

I'm on my lunch break, please pray for this young woman who is talking to Muslims. I'm wanting to call her mother on one hand and wanting to just talk to her on the other. But the seed has been planted by the Muslim though. She has a come back for everything I say to her.

Thank you

2017/3/16 13:19Profile
dohzman

Re: Quran a progressive doctrine

The first chapters of the q' make mention of Jesus, Christianity, Hebrews and all the descendants of Abraham. As the book progresses the latter chapters can be understood to be radically different than the first chapters and the slant of the book becomes more hostile toward unbelievers in allah to the point of justifiable execution. The whole of the book is filled with double talk and so if taken piece by piece you can almost make it say anything you want it to say. If ypu would like I can site some passages if you would like but honestly all she needs to do is open her natural eyes and see how Islamic women are treated in the middle east. They are a piece of property with no rights in society, not at court not in public not in the family setting.

2017/3/16 16:12Profile

Re. Lysa

Sister at this point, her mind may already be made up. As you said, she has a comeback for everything you share with her. I encourage you to ask God to intervene in her life via a dream or a vision. For it may take such. To convince her that Islam is a false way to go.

Will be keeping this young woman in my prayers.

Blaine

2017/3/16 16:29
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re: Re. Lysa

I will definitely pray for her.

Also, if you need good resources about Islam, I would recommend Acts 17 Apologetics.

2017/3/16 19:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy