Discussion Forum : General Topics : Discussing with Jehovah Witness

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Sandra
You are correct. You keep it simple and if possible use their terminology to get a rapport with them.

Stay away from the Trinity conversation and focus on who Jesus is or even demonstrate how the WT is not teaching the bible by showing contradictions of their teaching and asking them to explain it. Don't allow them to simply tell you to go to JW dot org for the answer because that is how they compensate when they don't know it. You want them to tell you because you are speaking with them.

2017/3/11 9:28Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Discussing with Jehovah Witness

Sree

This quote is taken from JW dot org today as Easter begins to draw closer. They have a question and answer thing and the answer is what they are told to believe.

Quote:

17. What blessings are made possible because Jesus died for us?

17 The hope of everlasting life on a paradise earth. “The wages sin pays is death,” says Romans 6:23. The same verse adds: “But the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.” In Chapter 3 of this book, we discussed the blessings of the coming earthly Paradise. (Revelation 21:3, 4) All those future blessings, including life everlasting in perfect health, are made possible because Jesus died for us. To receive those blessings, we need to show that we appreciate the gift of the ransom.

Chapter 3 refers to their book 'What does the bible really teach?' that they have used to give to people and do a bible study with. It pointed to WT doctrine though subtle means.

2017/3/11 9:54Profile
trxx

ON Canada

Re: I had a couple which I asked them about Rev 1:17-18. I asked who is the 'First and the Last' and

I have used the passages of the "First and the Last" in a different manner that might get some thinking. Jehovah God is the First and the Last in Isaiah 44:6 and 48:12, passages which go on to assert His deity. Revelation 1:17, 2:8 and 22:13 speak of Jesus as the First and the Last. There is no question that the Revelation references speak of Jesus, as demonstrated by DEADn in his post, and the Isaiah references speak of Jehovah. How to reconcile this?

Ask them if you can demonstrate how to reconcile this seeming contradiction. Ask them how many people could potentially come in first in a race. And secondly how many people could possibly come in last in a race. What would be the only way that more than one could be first or more than one could be last? The answer would be if they were tied. Another way to say, "tied" is to say, "absolutely equal". They are not just close to each other but must be absolutely equal. And that is how both Jehovah and Jesus can be both "the First and the Last," because they are equal. And First and Last is referring to His deity (as seen in Isaiah).

2017/3/11 21:11Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

The watchtower has also told them that they cannot study the bible on their own for if they do they will be led away from God. They have to have someone teach them and that someone is the 'faithful and descreet slave' Matt 24:45. Unless you learn the bible from the WT you cannot know who God is and his hope.

This is a very valid information. Thank you everyone for your inputs. I will definitely challenge him on this line. This is a classic case of cult. Only cults will prevent its followers from understanding the truth themselves. There are lot of scriptures in NT to prove them wrong here.

2017/3/13 12:27Profile
Sree

Re:

During our discussions the JW guy told me that Jesus taught us to pray for God's kingdom to come. But if we do not know his name, how can we hallow his name? We need to know his name and be part of his kingdom. His name is Jehovah. And then followed by some crap understanding of kingdom which I did not even care to understand as I found a great flaw in his starting logic itself.

I answered back saying, my 1 year old Son and 4 year old daughter do not know my full name which has 28 letters. Even my 4 year old knows only my first name. But if you keep my 1 year old on one side and make 100 men stand on the other side along with me, then my son will find me easily among those men. He knows who his father is. He does not need to know my name.

Jesus told in Matthew 11 that he will reveal His Father to us. Hence when I pray, I pray to my heavenly father and end my prayer in Jesus name. In other words I say the heavenly father whom Jesus revealed to me. So knowing God as a father is far great intimate relationship than calling him by his name. I certainly do not want my children to call me by my name no matter how old they became.

This way I want to challenge him based on the nature of God.

2017/3/13 12:36Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy