SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Discussing with Jehovah Witness

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sree

Discussing with Jehovah Witness

I have a colleague who is a JW. I invited him for a lunch discussion. We did our first round of discussion. I told him how I came from Hindu faith and how Christ made my life different. I also answered most of the allegations he made against Christians. I will share each of my answers in this forum.

Now the question I have is, how is the real life condition of a JW? How is their personal spiritual life? I want to hear from someone who has come out of JW or who has been very close to JW to know their spiritual condition. The reason I am asking is, I am sure their life will not be satisfying in spiritual terms. If I can understand the weak part of their spiritual condition, then I can address that in my conversation instead of debating on Trinity.

In the end of my conversation, I want my colleague to know that he has met a Christian whose faith has transformed into life. Who also can give a rational explanation of his faith.

2017/3/9 14:53Profile
trxx

ON Canada

Re: Discussing with Jehovah Witness

I have not come away from being a JW but I once was at a point where I cried out to God to know whether the JWs were the true witness or was it evangelical Christianity that spoke the truth. It took a lot of prayer and seeking God for a year and a half before I could definitely say that Jesus was in fact God clothed in flesh. Then I was actually able to witness to JWs of the truth. I find it best not to argue their doctrines, not because of lack of Scriptural proof but because they are so indoctrinated with lies. They most likely have heard all of the "proof-texts" that you would share and as a matter of fact they have been taught how to discredit them with their own. They are blind because they are spiritually dead. Point out to them that God says from Genesis to Revelation in many different ways that, "If you seek for Me I will be found by you." There I believe is their common weakness, they have never honestly or sincerely sought after God Himself. They have only listened to and accepted the faulty logic of the JW faith. They accepted man's testimony rather than God's. Psalm 14:2 says, "The Lord looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God." Or Hebrews 11:6, "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." To these He reveals Himself. Tell your friend how you diligently and continually and sincerely seek Him through prayer and study. Remind your friend that the Lord reveals Himself to such. Could he honestly say that he has put any effort into seeking, searching for God. Good works do not replace seeking Him. God is looking for the hungry searching heart. Sorry for rambling but I hope that you get the point I am trying to make. Pray muchly for the Lord to remove the veil from his eyes and to set him free from the lies that he has believed.

2017/3/9 19:49Profile
beekpr

Re:

When I meet Jehovah's Witnesses instead of bringing up controversial issues I enthusiastically discuss the Bible with them in issues which do not necessarily produce conflict. This totally throws them off their guard and one of them actually said to me "You know that I am a Jehovah's witness, don't you?" as if he expected me to argue with him. Usually they rather quickly leave after that. They seldom show up at our home any more - possibly they are uncomfortable discussing anything outside their dogma.
We are aquainted with a JW family personally and since they are a fine family my wife and I extended love to them when they found themselves in an unfortunate situation as we would to anybody else. We have won their deep respect and we simply continue to treat them with love rather than discuss doctrine. They know our faith in the Lord and our living it out in the community and I feel that this is the strongest message that we can send to them.

David

2017/3/9 20:24Profile
Sree

Re:

Thank you David and Bluce. There are some good advice here. I have been thinking the same line as well. I know he is very comfortable arguing with scripture. Hence instead of that I went with discussing the nature of God.

One question I asked is, if Jesus is not God then how could God use his sacrifice for my sins? Is it not morally wrong to accept the sacrifice of another? For example if I am in need of a heart transplat and another living person offers me his heart. How can I accept his heart knowing very well that he will die? If I cannot morally accept it then how can a Just God accept it. He had no answer.

I am planning to discuss based on God's nature. But my main focus is on the spiritual growth and freedom from Sin.

2017/3/9 21:59Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Discussing with Jehovah Witness

I have never been a JW but I spent 18 months talking with several groups at my house. I am also on a few FB groups dealing with JW's and ex JW's. They post alot of news as well as scripture studies showing where the WT fails.

The WT keeps their people very busy so that they don't have alot of time to themselves. They are also told not to go online much because there is alot of 'apostate' literature out there. LInks to show JW's are false. They website they are encouraged to go to is JW dot Org and they will push you to that if they cannot answer a question for you.

Their spiritual life is usually one of working their way into the kingdom. THey have to fill out time cards to reflect how many hours they spend in Kingdom work per month. They have alot of knowledge from the bible but only from what the WT prints. If you go to JW dot org and read their monthly publications you can actually know what they are being taught and use it to your advantage to show them what is true and what is lies.

I had a couple which I asked them about Rev 1:17-18. I asked who is the 'First and the Last' and they said Jehovah. I asked them to read the rest and I asked when did Jehovah die? The lady was stumped so her husband said 'We don't believe the Trinity'. I said, that is fine but I am not asking about any Trinity. I am just asking when did Jehovah died because Jehovah is the First and the Last, correct? I eventually told her not to give me an answer but to look it up and come back to me another time with it. 10 days later I was given a note on my door that they are ending the bible study. I 'debated' too much. They acknowledged that Jesus was the First and the Last but he was also created.

They put alot of trust in the organization as their spiritual leaders but they have prophesied falsely. They biggest thing going is the 1914 false prophecy and that generation shall not pass before Armageddon. Now they are teaching an overlapping generation. When the bible says if a person prophecies in Jehovah's Name and it doesn't come to pass they are a false prophet.

2017/3/9 23:21Profile
Sree

Re:

Thank you Deadn for your post. Gave me so much insight for sure. Since you had lot of discussion with them, what do you think their idea of salvation is?

2017/3/9 23:59Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

JW's hope is in paradise earth. It used to be the 144000 that you see in Revelation but more and more they believe those people are getting very few anymore. I think the average JW would tell you they are looking for paradise earth. This is what the last JW couple told me.

Last year I went to their Memorial. It is their communion service only most of them don't take it. They pass the wine and cracker without partaking of it. I was the only one in my row who partook of both of them. They had a sermon leading up to this and part of it dealt with paradise earth and used Isaiah 11 to talk about Paradise earth. You can read that in your bible but also go to JW dot org and see their version as well.

The thing to do with a JW is to show them how their organization has their teaching messed up. Get them to doubt BUT you have to be the one asking questions as if you are their disciple. Do not fight with them. You ask the questions and making them answer you.

One way is to have them look at Isaiah 44:6 and reconcile that with John 1:1. Can you tell me the difference between the big G and the little g? The little g has to be a false one but get them to explain it to you and then drive them to the fact that there can be no gods other than God.

Another fun one that can happen is the resurrection. They believe Jesus resurrected but only in spirit. This is really reincarnation. Ask them about how Jesus resurrected. Was it bodily? THey will say it was in spirit and He took up another body. Ask them to define what a resurrection is and then reincarnation. Then ask them why is it that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead in the same body as well as several other people and even proclaimed that He was the resurrection and the life but yet He could not be raised up in His same body?
They believe He is Michael the archangel in spirit so he was raised as Michael but then became Jesus again when he assume another body. Ask a witness to reconcile that from the scriptures. They cannot.

One other one that I used.
Rev 1:17-18. Ask them to read both of these and ask who is the First and the Last referring to? They will usually say Jehovah. Ask them to read on and then ask when did Jehovah die? They will say He didn't yet the passage, and their confession, show He did but they may be agree with that. Instead they will take you to Rev 3:14 to say Jesus is created.........but first they must answer 'First and the Last'..........if He is Jehovah then when did Jehovah die.

You want to sow seeds of doubt in them. Get them to doubt and question things.

2017/3/10 22:00Profile

Re:

I still work on my own "strategy" how to deal with them.
When they come to my property I try and witness to them. On my property I feel I should take control of the situation and the conversation. I try and keep it simple and focus mainly on Jesus.
I might say, "welcome - good to see that you bring your Bible. You are a witness for Jehovah, but Jesus said you shall be MY witnesses...
You call God "Jehovah" but Jesus called Him "Father" and we can call Him "Our Father who is in heaven..."
etc

Doctrines: DEADn already mentioned their "communion service"
They use unleavened bread but even their own Bible translation does NOT say that Jesus used unleavened bread, I can show them the organisation makes things up and they need to be careful who they trust.

I always try and encourage them to do their own research and examine both views and how important it is to PERSONALLY seek the truth. Next time i might ask them if I can pray for them - or I might just go ahead and pray before they leave.

2017/3/10 23:47
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Do not be in your face with them. You have to let them lead at first but then draw their attention to scripture through questions otherwise they will put up the walls and whatever good intentions you think you have will be lost. Remember, you are dealing with people who are in doctrinated. They do not think for themselves and they are condition to give a response to whatever you ask them. If they don't know they answer they will create a diversion.

Never speak about the Trinity but only Jesus and who he is if you want to go that route.

The watchtower has also told them that they cannot study the bible on their own for if they do they will be led away from God. They have to have someone teach them and that someone is the 'faithful and descreet slave' Matt 24:45. Unless you learn the bible from the WT you cannot know who God is and his hope.

Lastly, your intentions are not to convert them but to sow seeds of doubt and questioning. Making them try to question why the WT is teaching them things that contradict.

2017/3/11 8:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Long ago we used to have JWs come to our house and we would engage them in theological discussions.

There is one thing I learned and that is to not use any theological words in the discussion because they interpret these terms differently then other Christians do. Instead use two dozen words - if necessary - to describe what you mean that way there can be no misunderstanding of intent, or at least it will be minimized. It happens a lot when using theological terms that you find yourself in agreement - or so you think - when in reality it would be far from the truth.

Having said all this, it actually is a good policy to refrain from using theological terms when discussing the WORD with people who are Biblically illiterate. Keeping the language simple and to the point using as few words as possible will minimize the possibility for misunderstandings.

In our experience we also learned that in our discussions when we introduced a different idea then they were familiar with, they came back the next time sharing a 'reasoned' answer to our point. In time they quit coming.

God bless. You are in for a long and difficult mission. Just remember it is the Holy Spirit who will do the convicting - you just give it a body/face.

Sandra Miller

2017/3/11 9:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy