SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Inspiration from Revelation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Smyrna

Sandra, I remember listening to a message. It might have been Sermon Index. But when John writes that those in Smyrna would be put in jail for 10 days. That was the length of time they had to renounce Christ. If they did not renounce Christ at the end of 10 days, then they would martyred.

After listening to that message, the text in Revelation makes a lot more sense.

Bro Blaine

2017/3/13 11:03
rbanks

Re:

Great thread Sandra!

-quote-
In our case today in the USA how much of the opposition comes from so-called Christians? I would guess all of it. If one checks into the perversions that have gained a lot of traction in the USA we see the modern church giving them voice, support and a platform in which to promote their agenda. If one speaks out against it one is called unloving - and no one wants to be perceived as such!
-quote Sandra-

These are very trying times we live in today! But the true church must prevail in spite of all accusations against them. We must be glad to be counted worthy to suffer for our Lord Jesus Christ!

Blessings to all!

2017/3/13 14:34Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Blaine wrote: "That was the length of time they had to renounce Christ. If they did not renounce Christ at the end of 10 days, then they would martyred."

I did not know that. Makes sense. Appreciate you sharing this. This is a powerful piece of info to tuck into my brain.

See? Is it not amazing how much inspiration Revelation has? No end - maybe this is why I love it so?

Sandra

2017/3/15 10:33Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Pergamum

Pergamum has a lot going for it - or so IT seems:

1. Held fast Jesus name

2. Did not deny the faith even in the days of Antipas who was killed

BUT:

1. They hold to the teaching of Balaam, who kept teaching Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel

2. Eat things sacrificed to idols

3. Commit acts of immorality.

4. Hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans

Lesson:

We see many churches who are involved in immorality who still seem to have faithful people within their ranks. They are good people, they do not deny the faith but they tolerate (?) immorality, or maybe they feel helpless to fight it. Could be a bit of both. In any case Jesus tells them to repent. I see here how dangerous it is to be part of a brotherhood where immorality is common, even grudgingly accepted.

This behooves me to be more aggressive in warning people to get out of these 'churches' using this church as an example of God's will in the matter.

God is so merciful - he warns, promises great blessings if repented...How much kinder can he get?

Sandra

2017/3/15 10:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Wedding

Just want to share a note that I will likely not be on SI until next Tuesday. Hoping you will carry on - may be able to check in but not post.

You see....we are planning to go to our granddaughter's wedding in PA!!! :-) I am so excited - like a child jumping up and down clapping her hands. They have maintained a pure courtship - as far as I know (she told me how important this is to them when they were courting). It is a celebration of joy rooted in purity and the will of God.

As I considered the thrill, the joy I am experiencing my mind went to Revelation 19:7-9:

7 “Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready.”

8 It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.

9 Then he said to me, “Write, ‘Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.’” And he said to me, “These are true words of God.

If in my imperfection can know the delight of seeing a godly couple come together to marry, how much more will the joy of Jesus be at HIS wedding feast! My! I wonder what they will serve?!

Sandra

2017/3/15 11:12Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Thyatira

Rev. 2:20-23:
‘But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.

21‘I gave her time to repent, and she does not want to repent of her immorality.

22‘Behold, I will throw her on a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of her deeds.

23‘And I will kill her children with pestilence, and all the churches will know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts; and I will give to each one of you according to your deeds.

Lesson:
1. Holiness will not tolerate immorality among God's people.

2. All the good you do will not protect you from God's judgement.

3. People involved in sexual sin do not want to repent of their sin. Sounds familiar... nothing new under the sun, is there? Actually, it has been said illicit sex is more addicting then heroin - so it was said 20 years ago, not sure what they are saying today.

4. Sin always has consequences - in this case immorality puts its participants at risk for diseases. Sixty years ago there were only a few STDs today there 20 different types with up to 30 distinct bacteria, parasites and viruses transmitted by sexual activity. And it is all preventable by following God's law for moral purity. We see this judgement at work today, not waiting for some distant future to fulfill.

5. When God says "no" or "don't" there are good reasons to obey. Some of the reasons are not as obvious as others but this should not be the determining factor in whether or how we obey. We obey because his Spirit dwells with in enabling us to walk with Him and we love Him.

Following God's law for life, Him enabling his children to do so promotes health, longevity and makes it a whole lot easier to walk with God because you focus on Him and not how to please yourself.

Sandra

2017/3/21 11:32Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Thyatira

Revelation 2:25-29 (NASB)
25 ‘Nevertheless what you have, hold fast until I come.

26‘He who overcomes, and he who keeps My deeds until the end, TO HIM I WILL GIVE AUTHORITY OVER THE NATIONS;

27 AND HE SHALL RULE THEM WITH A ROD OF IRON, AS THE VESSELS OF THE POTTER ARE BROKEN TO PIECES, as I also have received authority from My Father;

28 and I will give him the morning star.

29 ‘He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’

The rewards for taking a stand against immorality within the church is very difficult IF most of the people have in the name of love developed a tolerance to it, even if they personally do not like like it. But Jesus says if you stand against it he will appoint you as a ruler over nations.

Revelation 20:4 (NASB)
4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years

I used to understand that the only ones who were resurrected in the first resurrection were those who had been beheaded but according to Rev. 2:26,27 those who stand strong against immorality will be deemed worthy to rule with Jesus a thousand years as well.

Standing against immorality is HARD when it is all around you, enticing you at every turn. Evil men have taken something beautiful and made it ugly. Nothing uglier then perversion.

Now, I wonder - how can a Christian exemplify the beauty of purity? hmmmm....something to think about and pray about.

Sandra

2017/3/22 12:46Profile
dohzman

Re: Added note on Smyrna

When you look at this church you need to understand some of the context. This persecution was primarily a "Jewish" persecution...what do I mean by this? Most likely the Christian "cult" called "The Way" were attending a very large jewish synagogue, thus the reference in ch2 vs9 also emperor worship was big in that city and to a unconverted jew to confess Caesar as lord was no big deal...BUT to the children of The Way this was equal to blasphemy and they would in no way do this ritual and their chief persecutors being jews from the same "organized church" location would have known this and used it against them to bring those jewish believers in messiah to court not only for gain....reward...but also to improve their own social status. Polycarp who was a direct disciple of the Apostle John the beloved did martyr there being burned at the stake but only dieing after he was run through by a spear to his side, his blood spilling out and quenching the flames, tradition says the smell was that of myrrh. A chief product from that area .

The 10 days can be literal as some have claimed..if so that comforts us that God has set a limit or it can be 10 periods of persecution which fell under 10 different emperors of Rome. Which would also be accurate historically.

//quote//See? Is it not amazing how much inspiration Revelation has? No end - maybe this is why I love it so?

The only book of the bible that promises a blessing to those who read it and understand it.

2017/3/22 22:28Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Sardis

Rev. 3:1: To the angel of the church in Sardis write:
He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars, says this: ‘I know your deeds, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead.

I never noticed before the frequency of this complaint in Jesus' messages to these churches.

Obviously, most of these churches were populated with good people: they were involved in doing good. Jesus was well aware of it but He was not impressed, no, he was very displeased. So bad that he says He will REMOVE their name from the book of life if they do not repent.

So, what is the thing they were missing out on? Jesus says, "So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent." Ah, our first love...

As I reflect on the busyness of living being a senior, wife, mother/grandmother with adult children, the demands of living one can become so preoccupied with living you neglect your time with the LORD - don't have time, got to be at a certain place certain time. Before too long the joy of the LORD becomes a mere memory that had receded into the distant past.

Jesus says repent. Repenting means one has to recognize his failures, assume responsibility for them and ask the LORD Jesus for help in overcoming. He loves to do that. Too many times in the busyness of life I have found love for Jesus lacking - my fault, not his'. The marvelous thing is that when this happens and I talk to Him about it and ask him to help me with this, He always does...I run out of gas and he loves to refill the tank!

When I lose the sense of the majesty of God I am on the way to losing my first love.

More can be said...how about you?

Sandra

2017/3/24 10:19Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

DMiller wrote: """ Polycarp who was a direct disciple of the Apostle John the beloved did martyr there being burned at the stake but only dieing after he was run through by a spear to his side, his blood spilling out and quenching the flames, tradition says the smell was that of myrrh. A chief product from that area ."""

Please help me understand. who did martyr? who was burned?
Are you saying Polycarp was martyred or He did the martyring?
where does it say the blood put out the fire and smelled like myrrh?

Sorry I cannot put it together no matter how many times I read it.

In Christ: Phillip

2017/3/25 6:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy