SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "The Shack" movie

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
PosterThread

Re:

Bearmaster wrote: Brethren, if you want to find fault with The Shack you're going to find it. But then you will find fault even with C S Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia. Those were children's books written by Lewis. In the book, Jesus was portrayed as a lion by the name of Aslan. Those of you who object to The Shack would probably object to the Chronicles of Narnia. You would probably object to the fact that CS Lewis was sympathetic to Catholicism. Need I say more?

[img]http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/2011-articles/cs_lewis.jpg[/img]

My reply: C. S. Lewis was no stranger to tobacco and alcohol. Would you want someone who reeked of such preaching at your pulpit? Defiling. His Narnia books are a fine introduction for Christians to fantasy, and a "logical" bridge to his friend J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings---which very easily segues to J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter works, and so on. Every seed bears after its own kind. It's not a good road to travel down.

C. S. Lewis on purgatory:

"Of course I pray for the dead. The action is so spontaneous, so all but inevitable, that only the most compulsive theological case against it would deter me. And I hardly know how the rest of my prayers would survive if those for the dead were forbidden. At our age, the majority of those we love best are dead. What sort of intercourse with God could I have if what I love best were unmentionable to him?

"I believe in Purgatory.

"Mind you, the Reformers had good reasons for throwing doubt on the 'Romish doctrine concerning Purgatory' as that Romish doctrine had then become.....

"The right view returns magnificently in Newman's DREAM. There, if I remember it rightly, the saved soul, at the very foot of the throne, begs to be taken away and cleansed. It cannot bear for a moment longer 'With its darkness to affront that light'. Religion has claimed Purgatory.

"Our souls demand Purgatory, don't they? Would it not break the heart if God said to us, 'It is true, my son, that your breath smells and your rags drip with mud and slime, but we are charitable here and no one will upbraid you with these things, nor draw away from you. Enter into the joy'? Should we not reply, 'With submission, sir, and if there is no objection, I'd rather be cleaned first.' 'It may hurt, you know' - 'Even so, sir.'

"I assume that the process of purification will normally involve suffering. Partly from tradition; partly because most real good that has been done me in this life has involved it. But I don't think the suffering is the purpose of the purgation. I can well believe that people neither much worse nor much better than I will suffer less than I or more. . . . The treatment given will be the one required, whether it hurts little or much.

"My favourite image on this matter comes from the dentist's chair. I hope that when the tooth of life is drawn and I am 'coming round',' a voice will say, 'Rinse your mouth out with this.' This will be Purgatory. The rinsing may take longer than I can now imagine. The taste of this may be more fiery and astringent than my present sensibility could endure. But . . . it will [not] be disgusting and unhallowed."
- C.S. Lewis, Letters To Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer, chapter 20, paragraphs 7-10, pages 108-109
---------------------
assorted C. S. Lewis quotes

"I have therefore no difficulty accepting, say, the view of those scholars who tell us that the account of Creation in Genesis is derived from earlier Semitic stories which were Pagan and mythical." p. 110 from Reflections on the Psalms

There is no literal hell; it is a state of mind. "...every shutting-up of the creature within the dungeon of its own mind is, in the end, Hell" p. 65 of The Great Divorce

Lewis held to evolution: "... for we have good reason to believe that animals existed long before men... For long centuries God perfected the animal form which was to become the vehicle of humanity and the image of Himself ... [Eventually,] God caused a new kind of consciousness to descend upon this organism." The Problem of Pain, pp.133,77

"...Man, the highest of the animals" Mere Christianity, p.139

"...but he (man) remains still a primate and an animal" Reflections on the Psalms, pp.115,129

"If ... you mean simply that man is physically descended from animals, I have no objection" The Problem of Pain, p.72

"I had some ado to prevent Joy (Lewis' wife) and myself from relapsing into Paganism in Attica (Greece)! At Daphni it was hard not to pray to Apollo the Healer. But somehow one didn't feel it would have been very wrong - would have only been addressing Christ sub specie Apollinis (under the guise of Apollo, in Latin)." p. 276 of C. S. Lewis, a Biography by Roger Lancelyn Greene

2017/3/12 8:14
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

It's awesome how some believers relish ripping other believers, even highly respected believers who have contributed infinitely more to the Christian faith than the person doing the ripping ever will.

Spurgeon was a big cigar smoker- why aren't you ripping him?

Even heathens believe if you don't have something nice to say don't say it, but christians take special delight in attacking other believers for all the world to see.

2017/3/12 9:52Profile

Re: Todf

...Even heathens believe if you don't have something nice to say don't say it, but christians take special delight in attacking other believers for all the world to see...

Tis, the nature of the forum, bro. Think I will employ the wisdom of the heathen and retire from this thread.

Bro Blaine

2017/3/12 9:59
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

You know this is one of those threads I was talking about one time, where to much has been said. I mentioned to Brother Greg one time, maybe he could implement some sort of rule, where a member could only post a certain number of times, on each thread. And hold on before you jump, YES! I'm guilty too! I think the "post rule" would help in keeping the strife down, and I also think we have some wonderful members here that would abide to it, without Greg having to monitor every thread, as I'm sure he has better things to do with his time.

We have to do something soon, my post count thing was just something I thought might help, but it may not be the silver bullet. I think if we can restrict one member from posting a dozen times, it would give others watching the thread an opportunity, to voice their thoughts, lets quit being so selfish. I don't know about the rest of you, but it's really hurts my heart, just to read some of the words I see in some of the threads here. I have been a member here for a while, and I've never seen a time when folks have beat each other up so bad on the threads here. Yes! we all have our opinions of everything in life, but this is not the place to always feel the need to come in first, this is a place that God has given up to gather in his name, and fellowship,and learn the word together.

I will tell you right now, I don't know the word like I want, but with all I been through in my life in the past 5 years, I do know God! and I know him very well, but I still hunger for this word. This is the place I come to quench myself for the word of God, because I don't have a church home at this time. Please allow me to come here in peace and receive your thoughts, and the word of God and leave here with a peace filled heart, this is all I ask.
I Love you all!
God Bless!
Mr. Bill

2017/3/12 12:47Profile

Re:

I was going to say that I can't believe there are people on this forum defending this abominable movie. But as I thought more about discussions I followed in the past when I viewed these forums more regularly, I guess I am not so surprised.

Is the "God" of the Shack the God of the Bible? The Holy God who destroyed the world and all but eight people in a flood for their exceeding wickedness; who appeared to Moses in the burning bush, brought such severe judgment upon the Egyptians and their land, gave the law to Israel on Mount Sinai, and ordered the Canaanites to be destroyed for their ungodliness; who gave Israel up to be destroyed and taken captive by the Babylonians; whose own anger at sin and zeal for justice required that His Son endure the horror of the cross so there'd be a way for sinners to find mercy; who commanded the gospel to be preached to all nations and guaranteed that "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:16); who is coming back "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe..." (2 Thessalonians 1:8-10a)?

I ask again: Is the "God" of the Shack the God of the Bible? Of course not. Then it's a demonic idol, a lying vanity fashioned by men's hands. "Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen." (Romans 1:21-25)

Changing the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man- it would be hard to do a better job of that than The Shack does.

And yes, this false portrayal of God will affect people, as it will degrade their view of God and destroy the fear of GOd- which is the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 9:10)

An earlier poster wrote: "Even heathens believe if you don't have something nice to say don't say it, but christians take special delight in attacking other believers for all the world to see."

For one, most heathens don't do this. Two: Not attacking heretical ideas about God is something the devil wants. It is just like the devil to lie about God and man's responsibility towards Him, and then criticize those who attempt to expose the lies he perpetrated. Three: "If you don't have something nice to say don't say it" is not Scripture; and if saying something negative were inherently a sin, then Jesus and the Apostles would be among the greatest sinners!

"Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready. The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil." (John 7:6-7) The Shack would not be so popular if it didn't present a view of "God" that worldly people were comfortable with- a god who accepts them just as they are and doesn't demand that they repent and abandon control of their lives to follow Jesus and conform to the truth in the Bible as God commands.

"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him." (2 Corinthians 11:3-4)

By the logic that the Shack defenders are using Paul's fears seen above were misguided and the ones not bearing with the false Jesus preached to them would be worse than heathen. But Scripture says otherwise and declares that misrepresentations of God and His truth ought to be stood against and not borne with.

"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple." (Romans 16:17-18- The doctrine they learned is the testimony of the Scriptures- the test of the validity of all teaching related to God's character, testimonies, and His will for man- 2 Timothy 3:15-17)

I also for one appreciated the poster who shared those heretical C. S. Lewis quotes. If a man who is known as a sound teacher of Christian principles has said such things, then it's proper to bring them to light and share them
so all can be properly informed and warned regarding his reliability. "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." (Proverbs 25:2)

Many of you really need to get off internet discussion forums and get thoroughly immersed in Scripture- the lack of grasping many principles of Scripture is evident in many of the posts throughout these discussion forums.

2017/3/12 14:24
rbanks

Re:

I haven't posted that much on here in a while but as of lately I have been disappointed and sadden at the lack of discernment and whining going on in this particular thread over a movie that misrepresents God.

What has happened to so many on a website that promotes true genuine revival. Have so many really been duped over a lovefest that doesn't even care about reverencing and loving God correctly according to His Word.

I'm amazed that He loved me...a sinner like me...but if I don't receive His salvation that causes me to love him back and repent of my sins...by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ who made an atoning sacrifice for my sins then I will never be able to escape a devils hell.

Blessings to all!

2017/3/12 14:53Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

If you want to see a good Christian movie, go and watch Ben Hur or Prince of Egypt.

All these recent movies about God wrap some horse dung of error in a chocolate roll of (half) truth. The recent movie about the Arc was bad and "Moses" was gross. "The Shack" is much more clever in promoting error. The danger lies in its subtlety.

All these movies attack God's nature and character. God is Father, and - excuse me for being old fashioned - male.

There will be more such movies, especially those that promote the LGBT agenda to Christians.

Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

2017/3/12 15:17Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

In 55 AD, Paul wrote he was "least of the apostles." In 60 AD, he wrote he was "least of all the saints." Around 64 AD, he said he was the "chief" of sinners. Note the progression.

Something for everyone to consider who wants to sit in judgment of other believers.

Peace and out!

2017/3/12 20:10Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Todd, you've seen me write this here numerous times before I'm sure,"You've never been beat up, until you have been beat up by a Christian". For those that's never seen me post this before, this was a quote I heard back in 1958 from a fire and brimstone, southern baptist pastor, at the church our family attended in Houston.

I was 7 years old at the time, and our congregation unlike today, never stood up and applauded, it just wasn't common back then at our church, but they did after that quote. Maybe they could all relate, and was applauding because he was right, and it hit very close to home. To this day, I still believe that quote holds true, and I much as I wish it would not, I truly believe it will hold true, till Jesus comes back.

2017/3/12 20:26Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

On this note we are locking this thread.

We ask saints in the future to be charitable to believers that you disagree with on the forums. We can always find good in even things that are not utmost.

This thread is locked.

2017/3/12 20:27Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy