SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "The Shack" movie

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

"The Shack" movie

My wife and I went to see "The Shack" tonight. In my opinion, "meh." The book was far better. A lot of folks had a lot of issues with the book, I didn't, really.

As an aside, I sat next to a talker. Not my wife Mary- the lady on the other side of me. She wasn't the normal type of irritating movie talker who might make a comment or two. Oh no. She was the movie talker who literally commented on every line, every scene. If a door opened, she declared, "the door opened." When the guy fell down she said "oops-- he fell down"- as if I needed help in figuring out what just happened on that huge screen right in front of me. She was like a gatling gun rat-a-tat-tatting footnotes with reckless abandon. Perhaps you have watched a DVD special feature with director's commentary-- well she was providing obnoxious lady commentary live and in person. If she was a Christian lady, and I think most were (it was packed) she didn't act very Christian-like. But we all have our crosses to bear. Well, I told Mary I had to vent about her or I would not be able to sleep tonight. So it's done. Thanks for listening!

2017/3/4 0:16Profile
leyoung

Re: "The Shack" movie

Bro Todd,

More importantly this book and movie contradict the very nature of God.
I would be more concerned that our Lord is maligned, trivialized and portrayed in a secular, humanistic way. When the book first came out I was outraged and was appalled that so many Christians dismissed that very crucial aspect of the story. What will the movie do but anesthetize more people?

Sis L

2017/3/4 0:50Profile
savannah

The sluggard is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason. Proverbs 26:16

If this proverb weren't true I'd add my reason to leyoung's, and the six others.

But...

Since it is true, suffice to say that the church-going american is content with sitting in the seat of the scornful on Saturday night, and sitting in the pew on Sunday morning.

Such persons remind me of the philosophers in Paul's day;

Acts 17:19-21

So they took Paul and brought him to the Areopagus, where they asked him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? For you are bringing some strange notions to our ears, and we want to know what they mean.” Now all the Athenians and foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing more than hearing and articulating new ideas.

Many church-goers I know, who I care for very much, went to see the new Harry Potter movie last month, and "The Shack" last night.

And the month before, they went to see "Wicked".

But you can be sure they'll be in church on Sunday morning!

See ya'll in church tomorrow!

2017/3/4 4:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

https://www.lifestream.org/whos-afraid-big-bad-shack/

2017/3/4 8:25Profile

Re:

HI Todd,

Boy, you and I are very alike when it comes to going to the movies. The only difference is I would have asked her to be quiet. Now, it would have taken awhile, I would have wrestled with the notion of confrontation, giving it five more minutes, one more time while all the while a head of steam would be building. I would figure out the possible ramifications, how big is her husband, how will she react and so on, and then, without exception, the point will be reached and I will speak :)

On another note, I really like Wayne Jacobsen. He is a wonderful brother in the Lord, I have read one of his books ( not the Shack, I dont read fiction) it was excellent.........bro Frank

2017/3/4 10:18
savannah

Re: Mary

Todd,

The article you posted adds insult to injury. You and Wayne err, not knowing Him with Whom we have to do.

Psalm 50

16God says this to the evildoer:
“How can you declare my commands,
and talk about my covenant?
17For you hate instruction
and reject my words.
18When you see a thief, you join him;
you associate with men who are unfaithful to their wives.
19You do damage with words,
and use your tongue to deceive.
20You plot against your brother;
you slander your own brother.
21When you did these things, I was silent,
so you thought I was exactly like you.
But now I will condemn you
and state my case against you!

Todd, I am sure you'd not mind if I write a book, and also produce a movie, publicly portraying your wife Mary as a transgender, starring Madonna, Ellen Degeneres, and Lady Gaga in the leading role as Mary. The names will be changed to protect the innocent of course, but nevertheless, I am sure the audience will not be deceived, but rather be more accurately familiar with who Mary really is.

God will hear and answer them—
Even the one who sits enthroned from of old— Selah.
With whom there is no change,
And who do not fear God. Psalm 55:19

2017/3/4 11:40Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re:

Quote:
More importantly this book and movie contradict the very nature of God.

I've not read the book and I've heard "round about" accusations but never actual naming of the accusations. I would like someone name them.

2017/3/4 12:27Profile

The Shack, a novel by William Paul Young, has sold over 20 million copies and has been made into a feature film. It’s about a man whose daughter was murdered, leading him to ask why a loving God would allow such evil. He goes back to the place where she died and meets God as a woman who goes by “Papa”, the Holy Spirit (also a woman) and Young’s version of Jesus. Though The Shack is fiction, it teaches unbiblical ideas Young said he believes about God.

“The Shack is theology. But it is a theology wrapped in a story.” – William P. Young. He believes God the Father was crucified with Jesus (pg. 96) – a heresy called patripassianism that was condemned by Tertullian in the third century. The Son of God was crucified on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins absorbing the wrath of God the Father. Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush Him; He has put Him to grief. (Isaiah 53:10) Jesus cried out with a loud voice saying, “My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46) Young’s version of Jesus says that He’s the best way to have a relationship with God (pg 110). But the Bible says He’s the only way to God.

Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) Young’s Jesus teaches that God submits to us (pg. 145). Psalm 2 says God laughs at such pride and holds them in derision. He opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble. God submits to no one, but we are to submit to Him. He who sits on the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision. (Psalm 2:4)

“God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves therefore to God. (James 4:6-7)
Young’s God says that He places no expectations on us (pg. 206). But God clearly commands that we turn from our sin and obey His Son Jesus. Those who do have eternal life. Those who don’t are under His wrath. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life. Whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on Him. (John 3:36)

Young’s God says that everyone is a child of God (pg. 118) and God has forgiven the sins of every person (pg. 225). But the Bible says only those in Christ are His adopted sons and daughters (Galatians 4:28). Those who do not believe are children of wrath and their father is the devil. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. (Ephesians 2:3)

Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me… 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. (John 8:42,44) The Shack, a novel by William Paul Young. The Shack contains a false gospel and teaches only wrong things about God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. (1 John 4:6)

By: Pastor Gabe Hughes

2017/3/4 12:45
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Pastor Gabe did not read the book very closely (if he read it at all), and is lifting quotes out of context. His objections have all been answered ad nauseum by numerous writers. Obviously, one is free to side with the dissenters or supporters.

The book really challenged me in various areas- but primarily here: "How is my RELATIONSHIP with God?" Not "how is my knowledge about Him" or "how is my service for Him" but how is my **relationship** with Him? Even coming away from the movie last night, I felt convicted that I should be very much closer to God than I am, through no fault of His- only mine.

One of the primary questions the book invites the reader to address is "Is God good?" The main character in the book (remember, this is a novel, not a theological dissertation) is struggling with this question because something absolutely horrible that happened in his family. A thoughtful Christian who is honest has likely struggled with the dissonance arising from the belief in a God who we believe is good, when at the same time absolutely horrible things happen every day. I am sure that many people who reject God do so on this basis. John Stott once said that “the fact of suffering undoubtedly constitutes the single greatest challenge to the Christian faith, and has been in every generation. Its distribution and degree appear to be entirely random and therefore unfair. Sensitive spirits ask if it can possibly be reconciled with God’s justice and love.” On the way home from the movie, I asked Mary about the popular worship song with the words "His love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me" and whether these words were true. Because they may ring true for me, but there are millions of little children every day who are abused horribly and dying of starvation. The book does a very good job of addressing this question in an understandable way.

I am certainly not going to say that I 100% agree with every theological point in "The Shack." But I am not the author and he wrote the book as he saw fit. He never claimed he wanted to convert people to his line of thinking. If I want to I could write my own book. But if a person reads the book as a novel to get the big story and theme and not try to nitpick every little point, I believe much good can come of it.

2017/3/4 13:42Profile

Re:

Todd, I think you raise some excellent points. The questions about God in the midst of some horrific incidents is very common. I know I have been asked a thousand times by people who are not Christians about God not being good. It is really important I think to know and to have thought it through but much better is to have lived it. I remember reading C.S.Lewis's book "The problem with Pain." He wrote it after his wife of one year died of cancer. Now, he was so concerned with what others thought that he wrote it under a pseudonym. It is a big world out there and if we have the honor and the privilege of being asked questions about the Lord that we love with all of our hearts and serve, then we should be ready to answer every question with honesty and integrity of mund and heart.

As one who has suffered more than one tragedy including the loss of a child, the loss of a dear sister, a mentally handicapped child and many other incidents I can say above all else that God is not only good but my very sanity, my life itself. Now when I can be open and transparent with those in the world then I believe the Lord can use me. I stand upon all the hard truths, I stand against universalism and any other error that would lead people down into the pits of hell.................bro Frank

2017/3/4 14:57

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy