SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Christian and Happiness...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

The Christian and Happiness...

Brothers and sisters,

This is just something I suddenly thought about today.

Can a christian be truly happy? If he is a happy christian, why is that? What is the secret?
If he is not, why is that? What is causing his misery?

Is our unhappiness self-inflicted or caused by circumstances? Should circumstances be able to make or keep us unhappy?

I know maybe "joy" or "joyfulness" would be a better word but is being happy a sin? Should holiness and happiness be mutually exclusive?

Just something for us all to think about and maybe even examine in our own lives.

Please do offer your comments and advice.

Blessings,

2017/3/1 7:39Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re: The Christian and Happiness...

I think many of our ideas of "holiness" are severely twisted (at least they were for me for quite some time). We picture some dour Puritan who never smiles as the pinnacle of holiness, trying to keep his flesh in subjection all the time. To me, saints have the right to be happy. We "rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory".
I'm only happy as long as I stay close to Jesus. I know this might sound simplistic, but when I let my thoughts stray from Him and my prayer and Bible reading is lacking, I get what David Wilkerson calls the "Holy Ghost miserables". He lets me stay restless and unhappy until I come back to Him and spend some time with Him.
When I picture Jesus during His earthly ministry, I can see Him laughing with His friends, having a good time.
The Bible also says "The joy of the Lord is our strength".
I believe the christian should have this joy of the Lord regardless of circumstances, although we are human and sometimes we get sad and depressed. Jesus understands this.
I have learned to rely on God no matter how I feel.

2017/3/1 11:34Profile
savannah

Habakkuk 3

17 Even if the fig tree does not bloom and the vines have no grapes, even if the olive tree fails to produce and the fields yield no food, even if the sheep pen is empty and the stalls have no cattle-

18 even then, I will be happy with the LORD. I will truly find joy in God, who saves me.

19 The LORD Almighty is my strength. He makes my feet like those of a deer. He makes me walk on the mountains.

2017/3/1 12:02Profile
Sree

Happiness and Joy are not the same. I am not sure how much Bible speaks about happiness but it speaks most of the time only about joy.

Happiness is short lived. You were happy on the day of our wedding. But today you are not happy thinking about that day.

But Joy always exist. It is irrespective of circumstances. This joy should exist in side us because of one and only one reason.

Luke 10:20- Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven.

the fact that I the wretched sinners is now part of God's kingdom should be the only source of Joy. If we truly realize the value of this then we will not be gloomy at all. Nothing can take our joy away from us!

2017/3/1 13:10Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

During my morning prayer, I ask the Lord for His Joy everyday, along with His Peace,His Patience,His Strength and His Wisdom.

2017/3/1 14:04Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Joy...not happiness?

Dear brothers, thanks for the responses.(That portion of scripture was great Savannah!)

From your replies and what we have probably all heard, saw or experienced:

Joy does not equal happiness
Happiness is a self-centered emotion. Joy is Jesus
Happiness depends on circumstances, joy does not

Joy is a part of the fruit of the Spirit (Love, joy, peace...) so naturally, if we are continually filled with the Spirit and walking by the Spirit, our lives will bear the fruit of love, joy, peace etc

What can steal my joy?
As Nigel said:"I'm only happy as long as I stay close to Jesus. I know this might sound simplistic, but when I let my thoughts stray from Him and my prayer and Bible reading is lacking, I get what David Wilkerson calls the "Holy Ghost miserables". He lets me stay restless and unhappy until I come back to Him and spend some time with Him."

Conclusion: Whatever separates me from the Christ in me, steals the joy from my heart.
Whether it be sin and its consequences, or whether it be self effort and resulting failure and condemnation. Where the root is self, disappointment is sure to follow.
If the root is Christ, overflowing joy will result.

Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say, REJOICE!

Blessings,

2017/3/2 7:08Profile

"The Bible says that Christians must rejoice in the Lord always. The world joys is external, superficial, which depends on circumstances, when things go right. But the Christians joy is completely independent of circumstances, it does not matter what is happening in the world around because he is not rejoicing in circumstances, he is rejoicing in the LORD. The world is full of people who either rejoice in the Lord or rejoice in their circumstances. If you rejoice in the Lord, you will never be depress at anytime in your life, no matter what happens. But people in the world, they find their joy in circumstances so when circumstances are good, they rejoice, when circumstances are bad, they are unhappy."

2017/3/2 11:50

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy