See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  Finding your denominational home

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Finding your denominational home

Have you found your denominational home? I have not and I just don't know why. I grew up Lutheran and when I became a believer I went back to the Lutheran church and then left after a few weeks. I really wanted to get involved there but I could not find myself telling people to trust in their baptism.

From there I was in the Assemblies of God and church of God. 8 years under all of that and today, I don't agree with that. I have been to the Nazarene church and the one I attended is going the way of Joel Osteen. Baptists seemed the closest to me and yet I went to visit one for 4 months, a mega church, and I heard questionable things in it.

I currently go to a Presb and it is the first time I heard of Reformed theology. I don't agree with it either but I stay because they use hymnals and the preaching is very good though I noticed they don't preach on the forgiveness of sins alot.

So I found a little quiz to take to give me an idea of what I may ascribe to. I originally guessed Baptist. It told me Orthodox Quakers and then Free Will Baptist?

I was scratching my head on that one. Truth be told if Lutherans held a few things different I would probably ascribe to Lutheranism. I can't believe baptismal regeneration or infant baptism. I also don't agree that Communion is the literal Blood and Body of Jesus but I have read that it is gnostic to believe that it is anything other then the literal Blood and Body.

So what are your comments? How did you arrive within a denomination?

John

2017/2/26 15:49Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Finding your denominational home

John it certainly is not gnostic to reject the actual presence of Christ on the elements of communion. Safely reject that idea.

2017/2/26 16:31Profile

Re: Finding your denominational home

John why not simply focus on Jesus. Denominations are of man.

Bro Blaine

2017/2/26 17:22
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Blaine

Sometimes without a church home I feel like an orphan. Do you have a church home?

2017/2/26 18:28Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

dolfan

Do you know anything about Gnosticism?

2017/2/26 18:30Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Sometimes without a church home I feel like an orphan. Do you have a church home?

I agree brother, we should definetly sense something is missing when are not vitally connected with God's people in a physical gathering of believers that is networked with the greater body of Christ. Of course due to circumstances some saints are in a place where they have not found this and that is fine.

I do believe the Lord will eventually help believers find a gathering of believers with Biblical elders as they seek the Lord's will in their local area. Or they will start a gathering.

I would disagree that all denominations are of men, as many have earnestly sought the Lord to be correct in their worship and obedience to God. And some denominations started through genuine revivals and expansions of the Church. Of course some denominations are controlled by men but not all, that is an overstatement. And when I say controlled by man, I men that godly leaders are not leading the movement but carnal men. God will always have "overseers" over the flock of God, it is just tragic when these men become carnal and ungodly not knowing the Lord and leading the people of God wrongly.

2017/2/26 18:35Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

The Presb church I attend is a great church but I find I don't agree with reformed theology. I also don't agree with infant baptism that they practice. I am there for 2 reasons. They use hymnals to sing from and I do analyze the words to see what is being said and the preaching is good though I do recognize that more is said about the Sovereignty of God than forgiveness of sins though the pastor does make an appeal to everyone about repentance.

Reformed theology is what stops me from being a member of the church.

2017/2/26 19:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

In central FL there must be a lot of nondenominational evangelical churches. Why not try one of them- just read their statement if beliefs first. Most have websites.

2017/2/26 19:44Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The Presb church I attend is a great church but I find I don't agree with reformed theology.

When I was saved in my bedroom reading the Bible, a week after I attended a local presbyterian church. I am very thankful for this experience, it is an older denomination that has many godly traditions of the faith in it. Much to be thankful for. John Knox was the founder of the Church and a godly man.

I was thankful for the worship and order of service much more then the theological points. I remember always much talk of the character of God and glorifying of Christ which was foundational in my Christian walk. The fear of the Lord came through this.

2017/2/26 19:50Profile

Re: John

///Sometimes without a church home I feel like an orphan. Do you have a church home?///

My brother I understand the feeling. I have not had a church home for years. I get my fellowship when God brings people across my path.

I find my experience to be much like Christian in Pilgrim's Progress. If I remember he got his fellowship in his journey with Christ with those who came across his path. I believe for many of us that are in the wilderness who are sojourners and aliens. Much of our fellowship will be with those other remnant saints God will connect with us for a season.

Of course it is nice to go somewhere and worship on Sunday mornings. My brother having been in and out of churches. I find I am best at home in the wilderness focusing on Jesus.

Perhaps when persecution comes we might be driven into an underground situation with other remnant believers. But for the time being I just wait for God to provide fellowship with those saints that he breaks into my life.

Dear brother will be praying that God find you or provide you meaningful fellowship with saints in whatever context that may be.

Bro Blaine

2017/2/26 20:27

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy