SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Fallibility of the Early Church Fathers: Why Christians Should Look to the Bible Alone....

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Blaine,

Yes brother, this sounds better. I like this that you wrote, Sorry if I misunderstood your intent!

2017/2/16 13:37Profile

Re: Dave

No problem Dave. Thanks for calling this to my attention. It reminded me that we are bound to a person. And his name is Jesus.

Bro Blaine

2017/2/16 14:15
proudpapa

"I cannot, as George Fox did, give up baptism and the Lord's Supper, but I would infinitely sooner do it, counting it the smaller mistake of the two than perpetrate and assist in perpetrating the uplifting of baptism and the Lord's Supper out of their proper place." - CH Spurgeon

2017/2/16 20:44Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

So, if two people were lost in the desert, one was a christian and the other wasn't, and they were about to die, and the unbeliever repents of his sins and receives Jesus, and he says "Uh oh, there's no water around here, I can't get baptized", and he dies, does he go to hell? (the answer should be obvious)

2017/2/16 20:47Profile
proudpapa

Drifter

John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

If "born of water" is referring to Water Baptism as what many such as Tertullian taught than what would you conclude ?

2017/2/16 20:57Profile

Re:

Uuhh. What about the thief on the cross? I don't think he was in any position to be baptized. :-)

Bro Blaine

2017/2/16 21:00
proudpapa

Re:

Tertullian and others, made an exception for martyr's

But that exception is not found in the John 3 verse, that they taught was speaking of water Baptism.

clarity

2017/2/16 21:05Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re: Drifter

"If "born of water" is referring to Water Baptism as what many such as Tertullian taught than what would you conclude ?"

If Tertullian is right he would be roasting right now (in hell).

I believe baptism is an outward sign of obedience to God's will, nothing more.

2017/2/16 21:45Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

"Uuhh. What about the thief on the cross? I don't think he was in any position to be baptized."

Exactly.

2017/2/16 21:45Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Drifter

My view on rebirth and baptism

"John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

I may be wrong, as I often am :) however, from the context of Jesus speaking of being "born again", meaning a second time, it just makes sense to me that being born of "water" may refer to the natural birth process and being born again to the spiritual process.

"Whatever is from flesh is flesh and from spirit is spirit"

So, yes, baptism may have nothing to do with receiving the gift of Eternal Life which is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.....however........

Baptism is very important (I'm pretty sure most of us were baptized in obedience to the scripture and we would never discourage a new believer from being baptized, but rather we would encourage them) as far as "being saved" from this world is concerned. Baptism is a testimony to men and angels (and devils) that I have gone through the river of death and separation from this world system and have been raised up to walk in a New Life under the authority of a New King and influence of a New Kingdom (Watchman Nee has an excellent teaching regarding baptism and it's importance)

So also with the sacrament of the Lord's table. We may not be partaking of the actual blood and body of Christ (a la Catholic doctrine) however we are commanded to do so often and to remember Christ's death for us and at the same time examine our understanding of His death for us as well as what it means as far as our being part of His spiritual body and our standing in relation to Him and our brothers.
My experience is that every time I partake of the Lord's table correctly and in faith I experience a fresh burst of Life and anointing and leave feeling rejuvenated and blessed.

Both baptism and the Lord's table has much to do with the new life and way and our part of the body, the church.

Blessings,

2017/2/17 3:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy