SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Restoring one caught in a trespass - restore them to what?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

Restoring one caught in a trespass - restore them to what?

Bear One Another’s Burdens

1 Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.

2 Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

3 For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. (Galatians 6:1-3)

Who is "spiritual" to begin with? Christ in us is the spiritual one. In this context, those who are spiritual likely means those who are walking in faith and have their sonship in Christ before therm as the root and anchor of their life and are at the moment overcoming sin and temptation. If we go and minister to those caught in a trespass it seems that this person would have probably acknowledged their trespass and have asked for help and ministry. But the main point I want to present for any discussion is what is it that they should be restored to? We were discussing this in our most recent Friday night home group and the Lord helped us see some very edifying things.

We should help restore them to their identity and sonship in Christ. We should not try right away to restore them to a deeper and more consecrated prayer life. Or we should not try and restore them to getting back to church on a regular basis. Nor longer sessions in reading the Bible as if if when they do these things then God will accept them again. We came to the conclusion that they need to be reminded of who they are in Christ and that God fully accepts them as sons and daughters. First things first. Losing the vision and reality of their sonship likely is part of the reason they ended up caught in a trespass. If we urge them to do good things to get back on God's good side then basically we are just trying to make a moral person out of them which is completely different than their identity in Christ.

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

2 He makes me lay down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.

3 He RESTORES my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. (Psalm 23:1-3)

The word restores in verse three carries with it the notion of being restored to sonship and its resulting identity and privileges. This is wwhat those caught in a trespass need to be restored to. Any resulting spiritual exercises and disciplines that follow should come as a result of this restoration and not done to bring about the restoration. That is works. This restoration is rooted and grounded in faith. You don't have to pray longer or read the Bible more to be restored when caught in a trespass.

Restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness while looking to yourself lest you be tempted to think you are "spiritual" above and beyond others and the one caught in a trespass. You are spiritual? Oh really. If you think you are something, spiritual and unable to fall, then you really are nothing. The Bible is so real and alive and covers all angles. It has as much to say to those doing any restoring as it does to this caught in a trespass.

When the prodigal son returned he wasn't given a long list of things to do before he would be accepted again.

17 But when he came to his senses, he said, How many of my father's hired men have more than enough bread, but I sam dying here with hunger!

18 I will get up and go to my father, and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in your sight;

19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me as one of your hired men.”’

20 So he got up and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.

21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 But the father said to his slaves, ‘Quickly bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet;

23 and bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let us eat and celebrate;

24 for this son of mine was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.’ And they began to celebrate. (Luke 15:17-23)

Being restored to his identity and reality as a son was the first thing that happened in the story of the prodigal son. Should this be our first and foremost goal when restoring a pentinent person who has been caught in and acknowledged a trespass? If we try and restore them to a set of spiritual disciplines etc. we need be careful if we include the notion that when they do this they will be accepted again. Our intentions may be sincere but really we may be trying to make a religiously moral person out of them which can be altogehther different than the reality of being restored to the reality of their identity in Christ. The reality of their sonship is what they need to be restored to first and foremost.

I've been throught these verses in Galatians 6 before as all of us probably have but they took on a fresh vitality again as we were discussing them.

What say ye?

Blessings.

2017/2/14 7:56Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Restoring one caught in a trespass - restore them to what?

Brother David,

I believe that the restoration that this scripture is referring to is to be restored back into fellowship with God.

"If we say we have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.…(1John 1:6-8).

If we walk in the light then we are in fellowship with God, and if we are walking in darkness (sin)then our fellowship is broken until the sin is acknowledged, repented of, and confessed to the Lord.

2017/2/14 9:00Profile
docs

Re:

I agree it is being restored to fellowhip with God but where does that begin? When we lose sight of where it begins and don't cling by faith to our identity in Christ then fellowship with God is lost and trespasses can occur. In a spirit of gentleness, those caught in trespasses need to be reminded agin of who they are in the Lord and be guided back to that beginning point. Then fellowship begins anew.

2017/2/14 9:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy