SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is Mystery Babylon?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is Mystery Babylon?

In Revelation 17 and 18 we read about Babylon. Some call this Babylon mystery Babylon (Rev. 17:7).

Down through the centuries many different interpretations have been offered about mystery Babylon. Wondering what the forum thinks.

This could have implications to us if we believe we are living in the end times.

Bro Blaine

2017/1/28 17:13
savannah

Re: What is Myatery Babylom?

And on her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE Earth. Revelation 17:5

Jeremiah 2:1,2 & 3:1-3
Now the word of the LORD came to me saying,“Go and proclaim in the ears of Jerusalem, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord...God says, “If a husband divorces his wife
And she goes from him
And belongs to another man,
Will he still return to her?
Will not that land be completely polluted?
But you are a harlot with many lovers;
Yet you turn to Me,” declares the LORD.
“Lift up your eyes to the bare heights and see;
Where have you not been violated?
By the roads you have sat for them
Like an Arab in the desert,
And you have polluted a land
With your harlotry and with your wickedness.

“Therefore the showers have been withheld,
And there has been no spring rain.
Yet you had a harlot’s forehead;
You refused to be ashamed.

And their corpses shall lie in the streetes of the Great City, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where our Lord also was crucified. Revelation 11:8

Jerusalem, Jerusalem...

2017/1/28 20:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: What is Mystery Babylon?

Interesting you asked, Blaine.

Someone told my husband recently he is convinced it is NYC so I decided to do a study to see what Revelation has to say about it.

I did gather from Rev. 18 that it is a financial center that dealt in all manner of goods, from the luxurious to the necessitates.

I am still not done with my research. I am doing a study in Revelation in a manner never done before - taking the components, sorting them like a puzzle and see how they all fit together. Interesting study, for sure.

Sandra

2017/1/28 22:46Profile
savannah

Luke 23:28-30 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children. For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck. Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us.

Revelation 6:16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

Jerusalem, Jerusalem...

2017/1/29 0:06Profile
savannah

The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire. For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to give the beast their power to rule, until God's words are fulfilled. The woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth (Revelation 17:16-18).

Jerusalem, Jerusalem...

2017/1/29 0:56Profile
docs

Re: Grace triumphs in the end

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.

38 Behold, your house is being left to you desolate!

39 For I say to you, from now on you shall not see Me until you say, "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!"(Matt 23:37-39)

There will come a day when Jerusalem will see Christ again and in that day the remnant of Israel will say to their Messiah, "Blessed are you who comes in the name of the Lord." And their house will no longer be desolate. If Jerusalem is or becomes part of Mystery Babylon, God has long been in the business of turning the hearts and spirits of unfaitfhful harlotry back to Him!

3 And it will come about that he who is left in Zion and remiains in Jerusalem will be called holy - everyone who is recorded for life in Jerusalem.

4 - When the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgment and of burning. (Isaiah 4:3-4)

1 For Zion’s sake I will not keep silent,
And for Jerusalem’s sake I will not keep quiet,
Until her righteousness goes forth like brightness,
And her salvation like a torch that is burning.

2 The nations will see your righteousness,
And all kings your glory;
And you will be called by a new name
Which the mouth of the Lord will designate.

3 You will also be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, And a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

4 It will no longer be said to you, “Forsaken,”
Nor to your land will it any longer be said, “Desolate”;
But you will be called, “My delight is in her,”
And your land, “Married”;
For the Lord delights in you,
And to Him your land will be married.

5 For as a young man marries a virgin,
So your sons will marry you;
And as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride,
So your God will rejoice over you. (Isaiah 62:1-5)

Wake, harp of Zion, wake again,
Upon thine ancient hill,
On Jordan's long deserted plain,
By Kendron's lowly rill.
The hymn shall yet in Zion swell
That sounds Messiah's praise,
And Thy loved name, Immanuel!
As once in ancient days,
For Israel yet shall own her King,
For her salvation waits,
And hill and dale shall sweetly sing
With praise in all her gates
Hasten, O Lord, these promised days,
When Israel shall rejoice;
And Jew and Gentile join in praise,
With one united voice.

(James Edmeston, 1846)

2017/1/29 6:00Profile
savannah

Re: Grace-born sons

Galatians 4:22-26

For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born because of the promise.

These things serve as illustrations, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children into slavery: This is Hagar. Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present-day Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother.

John 1:11-13
He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God— children born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but born of God.

John 8:37-45
I know you are Abraham’s descendants, but you are trying to kill Me because My word has no place within you. I speak of what I have seen in the presence of the Father, and you do what you have heard from your father.”

“Abraham is our father,” they replied.

“If you were children of Abraham,” said Jesus, “you would do the works of Abraham. But now you are trying to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham never did such a thing. You are doing the works of your father.”

“We are not illegitimate children,” they answered. “Our only Father is God Himself.”

Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on My own, but He sent Me.

Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you are unable to accept My message. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out his desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, refusing to uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, because he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me!

Galatians 3:26-29
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise.

And do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. Matthew 3:9

2017/1/29 6:55Profile
docs

Re: Grace born sons indeed!

Israel to Be Renewed for His Name’s Sake

22 “Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord God, “It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for My holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you went.

23 I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst. Then the nations will know that I am the Lord,” declares the Lord God, “when I prove Myself holy among you in their sight.

24 For I will take you from the nations, gather you from all the lands and bring you into your own land.

25 Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols.

26 Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

28 You will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will be My people, and I will be your God.

29 Moreover, I will save you from all your uncleanness;...(Ezekiel 36:22-29a)

- Regathered from the nations
- Sprinkled with clean water - the word of God
- Cleansed from filthiness
- A new heart
- A new spirit
- A heart of flesh for a heart of stone
- God's Spirit placed within them
- Careful to obey God

How does one get cleansed from filthiness and receive a new heart and spirit and have God's Spirit placed within them and become careful to obey God unless they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and His atoning work and are born again?

If the land they live on will be the earthly land given to thier forefathers, it will still require their being born (having God's Spirit placed within them) to be able to participate. I don't believe it refers to the land of the new heavenly Jerusalem but if it is that "land" then it will require being born again to participate. So if you are saying it is taught that one will be able to participate just because they are Jews and don't need to be born again, which I'm assuming is what your post implies, then you remain virtually clueless as to what you argue against. If that be so, I can recommend that you go back to the drawing board so to speak and do a little more detailed study. You give strong indications of not understanding properly that which you are perhaps criticizing.

3 Jesus answered and said to him, "truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?"

5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly,I say to you, unles one is born of water and the Spirit ("I will put My Spirit within you" - Ezek 36;27) He cannot enter the kingdom of God. (John 3:3-5)

I only meant to try and illumine that if Jerusalem becomes Mystery Babylon that the grace of the good Lord on hgigh still wins in the end. The unfaihtful spouse committed to the spirit and practice of harlotry will be born again and become the remnant forever married and faithful. TENDER GRACE AND FORGIVENESS AND LOVE TRIUMPHS!

Yet I digress from Brother Blaine's relevant question and therefore I yield back to him and his question.

2017/1/29 8:10Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Brother Bear,

It seems there are new interpretations popping up all the time.... From the Vatican to NYC- even America itself and so on... The one that makes the most sense to me is Mecca, it just seems to fit the best from my reading.
I had never heard Jerusalem tho until Savannah suggested it... and while it obviously will play a part (third temple) if you are interpreting literally, I can't get it to fit the whole of prophetic scripture on Babylon.

What are your thoughts brother?

2017/1/29 23:13Profile
savannah

Re: Matthew's Revelation

Matthew 23:34-39

Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from town to town, that upon you may come ALL the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of innocent Abel to the blood of Zechari'ah the son of Barachi'ah , whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. Truly, I say to you, all this will come upon this generation. "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not! Behold, your house is forsaken and desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

Revelation 17:5, 6

On her forehead was written a name of mystery: "Babylon the great, mother of harlots and of earth's abominations." 6 And I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. When I saw her I marveled greatly.

Revelation 18:21,24

Then a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone and threw it into the sea, saying, "So shall Babylon the great city be thrown down with violence, and shall be found no more...And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints, and of ALL who have been slain on earth."

Revelation 19:2

For his judgments are true and just; he has judged the great harlot who corrupted the earth with her fornication, and he has avenged on her the blood of his servants."

Jerusalem,Jerusalem...!

2017/1/30 8:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy