SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Obama's Parting Gift to the Palestinians - $221 Million

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Obama's Parting Gift to the Palestinians - $221 Million

He couldn’t in the end help them declare statehood, but former US President Barack Obama did have a substantial parting gift for the Palestinian Arabs.

Just hours before he turned the White House over to President Donald Trump, Obama issued an executive order releasing $221 million in US taxpayer funds to the Palestinian Authority.

The money had been set aside as part of an earlier budgetary bill that included funding to the Palestinian Authority via USAID.

But congressional Republicans had blocked the transfer after the Palestinian leadership sought state-level recognition from various international bodies in violation of signed agreements with Israel.

GOP lawmakers argued that the Palestinian Authority was creating obstacles to peace, and that the US government, which had brokered the aforementioned agreements, must hold the Palestinians accountable.

But Palestinian Authority peace violations were never of much concern to Obama.

His parting gift to the Palestinians was seen as a final act of official support for their campaign against Israel, as well as a repudiation of President Donald Trump’s stated Middle East peace policies.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 | Israel Today

2017/1/25 11:08Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Obama's Parting Gift to the Palestinians - $221 Million

Gag- and good riddance.

2017/1/25 11:12Profile
dohzman

I read that in the news yesterday and thought that was like the parting gesture of one who thumbs their nose in defiance of Israel and the incoming administrations direction. What a sad state of affairs...This country funds with tax payer dollars so many good and noble things but also so many hellish things. We would have no debt if we stopped much of the foolishness in this nation.

2017/1/25 13:17Profile
docs

Re:

Moving the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. The embassay would not be in east Jerusalem which is the most highly contested part of Jerusalem. Many Islamic leaders have said such a move would be an act of war even though it would not be in east Jerusalem. Meanwhile, are we to believe that Islam wants Jerusalem to become a city of international brotherhood? On my recent trip there we had to lay our Bibles aside as went through Islamic security to visit the temple mount. Before 1967, Islamic Jordan forbade Jews from coming to the Wailing Wall but after capturing the Wall back within three days the Israelis opened the Wall to people of all faiths.

2017/1/25 13:26Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Trump freezes Obama’s $221,000,000 parting gift to the “Palestinians”

JANUARY 25, 2017 11:43 AM BY ROBERT SPENCER

The Trump administration has frozen Obama’s parting gift to the the Palestinians.

Former US President Barack Obama, in his waning hours, quietly released $221 million to the Palestinian Authority (PA), which Congress had been blocking.

The Trump administration announced it is freezing the move.

The State Department is reviewing the last-minute decision by former Secretary of State John Kerry to send $221 million dollars to the Palestinians.

Kerry formally notified Congress that State would release the money Friday morning, just hours before President Donald Trump took the oath of office….

When asked about the transfer by a reporter during Tuesday’s press briefing, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said that “[Trump] is very concerned about how taxpayer money is spent, whether it’s sent overseas and what we get for it in terms of the relationship or our support for a democracy or aid to another country for their defenses. But he’s going to be examining all aspects of the budget… He’s going to make sure that every deal, every dollar that is spent by the government is done in a way that respects the American taxpayer.”

2017/1/25 15:28Profile
dohzman

Question for Bro Docs?

That's incredible to hear that you couldn't even take your bibles with you on the temple mount. President Trump said he is going to move the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, but this week on Tuesday they seemed to down play or side step those plans in a Q&A the press sec. had when asked. My guess is it will happen once we have pieces in place to protect the infrastructure against domestic attacks from what the intelligence community calls sleeper cells here in America. Did you have a sense that things could get volatile real quick there if certain conditions were present? And what is the over all view of Christianity, is it mainly just a way for them to make money from us or what? Do you see or hear of persecution there?

2017/1/25 16:21Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Question for Bro Docs?

Just saw breaking news that Trump's state dept has stopped this payment- hopefully they can make it stick.

2017/1/25 19:22Profile
docs

Re: Question for Bro Docs?

/That's incredible to hear that you couldn't even take your bibles with you on the temple mount. President Trump said he is going to move the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, but this week on Tuesday they seemed to down play or side step those plans in a Q&A the press sec. had when asked. My guess is it will happen once we have pieces in place to protect the infrastructure against domestic attacks from what the intelligence community calls sleeper cells here in America. Did you have a sense that things could get volatile real quick there if certain conditions were present? And what is the over all view of Christianity, is it mainly just a way for them to make money from us or what? Do you see or hear of persecution there?/

Nope, everyone moving through Islamic security had to lay thier Bibles aside if they had one and come back afterward and pick them up. The saying was no religious literature at all on the Holy Site yet I didn't see any Korans laid aside.

/My guess is it will happen once we have pieces in place to protect the infrastructure against domestic attacks from what the intelligence community calls sleeper cells here in America./

That's likely in my opinion. I remember also that Zechariah wrote that Jerusalem is to increasingly become a cup of reeling and a heavy stone to the nations before the end of the age (Zechariah 12:1-3). Muslim over reach and over reaction may still yet work in Israel's favor if even for a while. The U.N. passed 23 resolutions last year and 20 of them were against Israel.

/Did you have a sense that things could get volatile real quick there if certain conditions were present?/

I didn't feel any real danger while there but at the same time I may be a bit naieve. Just because I didn't feel it does not mean it was or is not there. We stood on a spot on the Mount of Olives looking down on Jerusalem and a few weeks after we left Israel a Palestinian rammed a truck into a grouip of soldiers and killed four soldiers. The scene of this incident was probably within 50 yards of where we stood on the Mount of Olives looking down. The heretofore peaceful Palestinian said he was concerned and annoyed that the Jews were planning to tinker with and move on the Dome of the Rock shrine. No one iota of which is true. The driving forces in Islam are superstition, poverty and violence. So if I didn't sense any danger does not mean it wasn't lurking. A armed tour guide used his weapon on this Palestinian to stop him. My my! Not very far from this spot I haver described is Golgotha and the Garden Tomb.

The Dome of the Rock is not a mosque. It is a shrine where Muhammad supposedly sat upon a celestial horse and was taken to heaven and shown many things. So this sixth century myth perpetrated by Islam is today a source of unneeded friction. It's all a myth!

The overall spot with the highest tension while we were there was in Hebron where Abraham and Ruth and others are buried under a Muslim building. That place was tense and is the site of a 1929 massacre of Jews by rampaging Arabs fueled in part by rumors that the Jews wrere going to attempt to take over the temple mount and the Dome of the Rock. On this day in 1929, armed British soldiers stood by and did nothing. There is a plaque in a museum in Hebron that is a apology from the British government for standing idle that day. It reads,

"We recognise that officers of the British administration neglected their duty to protect the citizens of Hebron during the Arab uprising in 1929. "Father, forgive us, we pray."

At the tomb of Abraham, there were Islamic plain clothesmen with rifles, Jordanian soldiers with weapons, Israeli soldiers with rifles and weapons and Christian tour guides with pistols (some, not all) were mingling together. Hebron is where Abraham first enetered the Promised Land and Hebron was eventually bequeathed to Caleb for his steadfast faith that whatever the Lord said we can conquer then we can surely do so! Meanwhile, the father of the Christian faith is lying under Muslim edifices.

I remember at one point in old Jerusalem I asked a Jordanian keeper of a gate if the water fountains close by were open for drinking. I didn;t hear his answer altogether clearly but I'm pretty sure he said we could drink if we were not a Jew.

/And what is the over all view of Christianity, is it mainly just a way for them to make money from us or what?/

The Christin church and faith has long been the most friendly toward modern Isarel and they are aware of that. I wouldn't say they necessarily are cuddling up just to get money from us. One still has to employ a bit of discretion though regarding who to witness to and where to do this? We met several Jewish believers in Christ and several non Jewish believers living there who bel;ieve Christ is the Messiah. There is a living, growing and dedcitated body of Christ in the land which I can only pray will increase. They are just normal p[eople with the same struggles we all have. One of the the main impressions I got was that this present return of the Jewish people to this land is not a happensatnce of history fueled ONLY by Jewish tenacity and secular Zionism. The consequences of what God has done bringing about Israel's existence is palpable when there. The nations of the world need to be warned to lay off and a mocking Christian church that sees Israel's present unbelief ONLY and has no spiritual regard for Isarel and this present return is in my opinion storing up a bit of discipline and chastisement against is own self. If I speak for myself I still speak.

/Do you see or hear of persecution there?/

Yes. While we staying with Jewish believers in the Negev Desert regiona couple drop[ped in for a visit. The lady was a member of a Christian work and outreach in Jersualem near the Damascus Gate. The church had been located in a building for 10 years and the Muslim person who owned 3% of the property had began to work against the church and try and get them evicted. Right before Thanksgiving, vandals enetered the building and jack hammered the walls and floors and knocked down many things and set a destructive fire. The building was essentially ruined as to any further use.

Christian Zionsim, the belief that one days the Jews would return, has been trashed and ridiculed to a large degree by many in the church and has been counter productive. Many see it as a recent invention that came along beginning with Darby around the 1830s. Nothing could be further from the truth! It actually began much earlier and had a very large surge in the 1600s and after that. 1948 was jsut the culmination of a centuries long effort. Zionism can be defended politically, morally, spiritually and theologically. It's no shame to believe in what has happened and to believe it is going to have a large bearing on the future and the end of the age. Herzyl, Blackstone and Balfour and the numerous others involved in this against all odds modern return were not just deceived men who got caught up with carnal Jewish aspirations and "superceded" OT notions. Are we to say God has been non involved and just standing passively by? The Mount of Olives I stood on and looked down upon Jerusalem, the site where Christ is prophesied and therefore certain to return to, didn't seem as an allegory to me. It was very very real.

While in the Negev Desert region we travelled about a hour one night and visited with a Palestinain Bedouin family. None of this family was saved but we had the most wonderful time with them. They knew we were Christians. They were very glad we were there and bent over backward to seve us and it was a time of real fun and joy. Loud laughter abounded. So this situation confronting the world has many layers and is very nuanced. Palestinians are not all devils by any means nor has Isarel done everything correctly at all times. Yet the bottom line reality is that Israel is there and exists.

We need to pray diligently for the Christians in Israel while we pray for the veil to continue to be removed from Jewish eyes. If their blindness be for the reconciliation of the world, what will their seeing again be but life from the dead? Amen!

2017/1/26 10:50Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

/Do you see or hear of persecution there?/

I think it also fair to say there is also a lot of persecution from the Ultra Orthodox Jews against messianic believers (Jewish Christian assemblies) in Israel. Religion or all types will always persecute the true church.

2017/1/26 10:57Profile
docs

Re:

That's a good point Heydave which I have forgotten to mention. The relationship has not always been that cordial betyween these groups. It's a many layered and nuanced situation. And then, a couple of nights before we left Israel we ate with a Orthodox couple who were delightful people who very much enjoyed our company as well we did theirs.

2017/1/26 11:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy