SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The gift of speaking in Tongues/Languages

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
wijnand

The gift of speaking in Tongues/Languages

There is a lot of different views on it. Some say it's not for today. Some say it's for today. I believe it is for today and know people who have this gift.

I read Jackie Pullinger's book (chasing the dragon) and see have everybody speaking in other languages. I know the doctrine in many pentacostel churches to be this: the gift of speaking in other languages is for every believer that is baptised in the Spirit and it's the (main) evidence of being baptised in the Spirit".

I was baptised in the spirit a few years ago (received new boldness and power), and am desiring for a fresh 'baptism' (or filling). But I never spoke in another languages (the meaning of the word tongue). I have asked for this gift and desire it, but I can't see in scripture that every believer should have it because of chapter 12 --> the Spirit give as He wills.

So my question: do you guys believe that it is for everybody and if so, what is the biblical reason for it.
Second question: if you don't speak in 'tongues', how can you receive it? How can we "seek the gifts" (1 cor 14:1)?

2017/1/25 2:44Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: The gift of speaking in Tongues/Languages

Hi brother Wijnand,

I believe this is for every believer.

Why? Because not only did the first 120 speak in other languages/tongues (of course that day was unique and special as everyone listening could understand them in their different home languages) but throughout Acts wherever the gospel was preached and the Holy Spirit received we see evidence of people speaking in tongues.

I have experienced this myself also. I have prayed for others and seen them filled with the Holy Spirit and speak in other tongues, some immediately, some later.
I once saw a brother speak in other tongues in a Home Group just because of hearing an inspired reading of the scriptures, Hallelujah!!

The Corinthians all seemed to have spoken in tongues (the personal prayer language of other tongues, not necessarily the public utterance related to interpretation and prophecy)

I believe this is one gift the Lord wants all believers to have because we all need assistance in our prayer life and we all need the dunamis of the Spirit to strengthen us and empower us within.

As with anything else where the gifts are concerned I believe these simple steps, if you will, are required:

Ask, believe that you receive, obey in faith.

I.O.W. Ask: Holy Spirit, I have received You and I know it. Please take control of my life and all my faculties and fill me with fresh oil. Please give me utterance so I may speak with other tongues and thus glorify you and step into the fulness You want for me. I believe this is the heritage of all believers. I receive this gift by faith right now and yield my tongue and my lips to you, in Jesus Name.....

THEN...allow the Spirit to take control and begin to speak the words that flow from your inward parts to your mind, no matter how small or how silly. As you begin, the stream will become a river, even rivers. Amen

Blessings,

2017/1/25 3:26Profile

Hi Wijnand..............

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.(1Co 12:28-31)

It seems that the Scriptures are very clear on the subject and must be the last word on any subject. It leads us and guides us and is a lamp unto our feet...........bro Frank

2017/1/25 8:50
docs

Re:

From my view, it's a safe assumption to believe that the gift of tongues is for every believer. Therefore, I would urge you to continue to seek this gift and ask specifically. Tell the good Lord just exactly what it is you desire. He is surely listening.

Blessings.

2017/1/25 9:43Profile
jochbaptist

do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

I have seen this scripture ( 1Co 12:28-31) used more than once on SI to answer your question Brother Wijnand.

I disagree.

I do not see it as Paul speaking of the ability to pray in the Spirit, but as it says, the GIFT of speaking in tounges AND / OR the GIFT of interpretation of the tongue ( a congregational event). Elsewhere Paul encourages members not to pray in tongues during congregation, but rather to prophesy. So in my mind there is a difference between the 2.

I have prayed in (the gift) tongues and others interpreted what I prayed. I also pray in the Spirit. The former is like an HS enhancement of the latter. A gift undeservedly bestowed on me, and not on some others.

I am not an Apostle, but I am sent to my wife and children.
I am not a Prophet, but I can prophesy to them.
I am not Shakespeare, but I can write.
I might not have the GIFT, but I have the basic ability.

2017/1/25 11:26Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Hello,

There is an interesting book written by John Sherrill entitled They Speak With Other Tongues. I'm adding the link to the book at Amazon below:

http://tinyurl.com/speakwithothertongues

For some context, John Sherrill was a co-author with David Wilkerson on The Cross and the Switchblade, a co-author with Corrie ten Boom for The Hiding Place, a co-author with Brother Andrew for God's Smuggler.

John Sherrill was both a writer and a reporter. His book is the story of how he investigated the concept of "tongues" from the perspective of someone who was initially from a more traditional church background and someone who also didn't initially embrace the idea.

Whether you agree or disagree with Mr. Sherrill's conclusions, it does make for an interesting read. It is filled with quite a bit of history and some interesting anecdotes from others.

In addition, there is a very interesting but oft-forgotten chapter about speaking in tongues in David Wilkerson's book The Cross and the Switchblade about working with gangs in New York City. This particular chapter offers a clear and unambiguous view of "tongues" from David Wilkerson's view of the matter.

I will add one last thing: While I know that Paul implores us to desire the "best" or "greater" gifts (I Corinthians 12:31), but I don't recall anywhere in the Scriptures that such things -- even gifts -- should be the object of our prayers or pleading before the Lord. In my opinion, the object of our prayers should always be to know and serve Him -- and trust that the Lord will freely give to us as He sees fit.

2017/1/25 15:55Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
by Wijnand
So my question: do you guys believe that it is for everybody and if so, what is the biblical reason for it?

Wijnand,

Yes, I DO believe it is for everyone but not everyone receives the gift. Psalms 84.11 says, "For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: NO GOOD THING WILL HE WITHHOLD from them that walk uprightly."

And Jesus said, in Matthew 7:11, "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven GIVE GOOD THINGS TO THEM THAT ASK HIM?"

Luke recorded it as, "how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" (11.13)

And in Romans, Paul said, "He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?" (8:32)

These are the Biblical reasons to even ask for it!!

Quote:
by Wijnand
Second question: if you don't speak in 'tongues', how can you receive it? How can we "seek the gifts" (1 cor 14:1)?

If you want the gifts of tongues, ask Jesus for it. And if you are not receiving, then ask Him why.

I've heard people call the gift of tongues the "least" of all the gifts and I've spoke/prayed in tongues for 36 years but the last few years my personal experience makes me believe that this is quite possibly one of the greatest gifts.

God bless you in your search and let us know what happens!
Lisa

2017/1/25 22:31Profile
ChadC

Western Edge, North Dakota

Both sides of the Pentecostal see-saw concerning tongues have already been expressed in great clarity here.

I personally believe in light of scriptures available it really requires revelation from the Lord to you. Seek Him until He makes it plain to you.

Paul states "do all speak in tongues?" as well as "I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all". We see in Acts that glossolalia (languages) are mentioned in 2 of the 3 examples that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is covered by Luke.

In Chapter 2 the 120 spoke in other languages, in Acts Chapter 8 it does not say however something was visible enough that Simon the Sorcerer wanted it. We see in the house of Cornelius in Acts 10 that "For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God." The last example is found in 19:6 when Paul finds Appolos and other disciples evangelizing but recognizes it is not in the power of the Holy Spirit. the outcome being "And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. "

In Scripture we have examples of Tongues, Prophecy, and Praise, as the overflow of the Holy Spirit. The Baptism in fire always is accompanied by boldness for it's very purpose according to Jesus is to be witnesses of Him. The outward manifestation always is verbal in some form.

From these and the other scripture given already, I believe God's Word is clear that it is for everyone (Acts 2:38), that it is accompanied with power to walk as Jesus walked and "do greater things than these", the overflow of the initial infilling is verbal in some fashion be it languages, prophecy, or praise, and that it is the gateway to the other more powerful gifts of the Holy Spirit.

It does seem that tongues are mentioned more than prophecy and praise in the examples we have which is worthy of consideration as is Paul's statement above "more than ALL of you" though this may be a figure of speech.

I have found David Pawson's book "The Normal Christian Birth" an outstanding aid concerning some of these questions as well as his free sermons and teaching (Links Below). I have also found Derek Prince's material to be very solid as well.

One great encouragement we have is that the Lord promises you wisdom (James 1). Ask for the spirit of "wisdom & revelation" that you might come to His conclusion. There is no replacement for letting the Lord lead you through His Word. There is also a reason we are encouraged by the Apostle John in his first letter to ensure we ourselves have this anointing and that we are taught personally by the Holy Spirit. The Lord does raise up Shepherds to pastor and submit to, but they are merely sheep as well. Paul stated "follow me as I follow CHRIST".

"But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will[e] abide in Him." (1 Jn 2:27)

The Lord bless you on your journey!

www.davidpawson.org

David Pawson's Series on the Book:
https://youtu.be/sp8Su1_XRTU

The Normal Christian Birth Book:
https://www.amazon.com/Normal-Christian-Birth-Believers-Proper/dp/0340489723/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485430565&sr=8-2&keywords=the+normal+christian+birth

2017/1/26 6:46Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

One of my favorite teachers is Derek Prince. I've not listened much to David Pawson except for his Revelation series here on SI, which expanded my mind on the subject!!

You can never go wrong with either.

2017/1/26 11:31Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Wijnand:

I see a marked difference in scripture between the gift of tongues in concert with the accompanying gift of interpretation for the purpose of ministry in the assembly, and the act of praying in tongues in private because you are a believer who has been baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Paul makes a distinction in 1 Cor. 14 that I think is worth noting. He draws a contrast between what happens in the assembly and what happens outside of the assembly. He says that he prays in tongues more than any of the people in Corinth, yet in the assembly he would much rather speak things that are understandable and edify the body.

I think another thing that we need to understand is the nature of tongues. Paul teaches us in 1 Cor. 2 that we have, through our communion with the Holy Spirit, the mind of Christ. If you carefully study what Paul says, he tells us that because a believer is baptized in the Holy Spirit, that believer has access through the Holy Spirit to the very thoughts and mind of God. This is why truly effectual ministry cannot take place apart from intimacy with God. I have ministered to people and it was very clear and plain to me what was needed and what I was to say or even pray for that person. I did not know that from carnal experience with people, but from supernatural revelation of the heart of God. We might be familiar with people referring to this as "the anointing". Paul says in chapter 14 that when a man prays in tongues, it is his own spirit that is doing the praying. This is only possible when there is an intimate fellowship between that man and God. So whether I am praying in tongues in private, or speaking a tongue in the assembly, it is originating from my spirit, inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Praying in tongues is often a product of faith. There are times when I do not know how I ought to pray about a situation. At these times, I will pray in tongues over the situation, believing by faith that the Holy Spirit is showing me the heart of the Father in the situation and that my prayers are effectual.

I believe that no man should stand in the assembly to speak forth a tongue in ministry to the body unless that man is specifically led of the Holy Spirit to do so. In that sense, the gift is not for everyone. Can a man minister through the gift of tongues any time he wants? No? Does God move on every man to exercise the gift of tongues in the assembly? No. Just as God does not move on every man to operate in the gift of working of miracles. It is an obvious and rhetorical question.

I do believe that a spirit filled man may pray in tongues privately as He desires to do so. I cannot really speak for anyone but myself from personal experience. I was taught that tongues were THE sign of being spirit filled. I was also VERY analytical in my mindset, always have been. As a result, I experienced great power in my life, but was always frustrated because I had not yet "spoken" in tongues. I finally realized that it was available and was entered into by faith. I decided to quit trying to understand, and simply do. I was absolutely lost with God for an hour or so. I have never stopped praying in tongues privately since that day, and I think it one of the most precious parts of my walk with God.

2017/1/26 15:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy