SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What does this mean?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
alamb

High Point, NC

What does this mean?

This morning in my daily devotions, Charles Spurgeon's verse for this day was 2 Peter 3:18..."Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." Spurgeon goes on to say "do not rest content without an increasing acquaintance with Jesus," I understand this part only because I've been striving and trying to have a deeper and closer relationship with Him. I've read more of His Word thinking this would do it. You might remember just a while back I posted this question, "How do you abide in Him ?" I think it was about the first reply I received that said "Jesus is the Word" and to abide in Him would mean staying in His Word more by reading His Word more. That was an instantaneous revelation as soon as I read that statement! The light switch came straight on! Now to explain more about my dilemma. I've been diligently doing exactly that and haven't felt one speck of difference in closeness. THEN Spurgeon writes this. "An increase of love to Jesus and a more perfect apprehension of His love to us is one of the best tests of growth in grace." This word, apprehension, to me means one is not so sure of. Like, "I'm apprehensive about this outcome". Which means to me that the more I seek Him, the more He acts apprehensive to getting close to me. Do you understand what I'm talking about here??

2017/1/4 23:22Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: What does this mean?

I think the apprehension spoken of here means appreciation of and grasping His love, understanding it and receiving it, being filled with it in the Holy Spirit.

2017/1/4 23:30Profile
romanchog

Spurgeon is using the second meaning of apprehension: understanding, grasp.

So, what Spurgeon is saying is that an increase of love to Jesus and a more perfect UNDERSTANDING of His love to us is one of the best tests of growth in grace.

Hope this helps you. :)

Natalie

2017/1/4 23:32Profile
StirItUp

Re:

What you seek is so beautifully prayed for by Paul. Please meditate on this portion and pray it for yourself.

Ephesians 3 verse 14 to 21

Blessings

2017/1/4 23:34Profile
alamb

High Point, NC

Thank you both so very, very much. Seeing it from this totally different perspective makes me feel a whole lot better. He's just being quiet with me for some reason. So I don't need to fear. He'll bring me closer when it's His time to.
If it's possible, may all of Christ's blessings to us be double unto y'all!

2017/1/5 0:10Profile
StirItUp

Re:

God bless you sister.

Yes, surrender all to Him. Speak your heart and desire and cast your cares on Him, for He cares for you, more than we can fully grasp or understand. Receive it by faith and cease from all striving.
Our efforts and sweat can add nothing to the working of His Spirit.

As Andrew Murray said: When the Spirit of God finds an abased, humbled heart He flows into it and fills it, just like water will always flow to the lowest place (my paraphrase)

Be well,

2017/1/5 1:08Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Also, to boost you along with the others who have sweetly said, the word Spurgeon used is like the word used by Paul in Phillippians 3:13 and comes from Greek katalambano. To seize and take. It is akin to the word paralambano that Jesus used in John 14, saying "I will receive you unto myself".

2017/1/5 6:15Profile
savannah

May this link bless your heart;

http://beholdyourgod.org/series/revival-in-america/

2017/1/5 6:35Profile

Re:

HI Judy, think of this. The criminal was apprehended by the police, meaning that the criminal was taken into custody. If we are apprehended by Jesus, we are taken into custody, we abide under His close watch so to speak. Now all of these things are true all of the time for the genuine saint. He is always there, He is ever interceding for us, He will never leave us nor forsake us. None of that has anything to do with " feeling," Jesus. It seems to me that it is His manifest presence that you seek, His felt presence which is entirely different and legitimate........bro Frank

2017/1/5 10:17
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I love etymologies.

The word comes from the Latin root prehendere, to seize/grasp. The word came to have the meaning in English of being in a grip of fear or dread, etc. Some English literature uses variations on the phrase "gripped by apprehension in fear". Over time the word itself gained the meaning of that phrase due to usage even though it does not precisely mean fear/dread.

So, in short, apprehensive doesn't technically even mean fearful or anything like it. Hope that helps.

2017/1/5 11:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy