SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are we becoming religious crackpots?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Dear brother Greg,
I sincerely apologize if you are offended by my use of the word "crackpot" if you think I am directing it towards you and the entire forum.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I first used that term in the Christmas thread AFTER reading some responses from ONE particular person. Honestly I could not believe what I was reading and yes it gave off the impression of a religious crackpot. I did not level that term directly at that person because I did not want to start a war. I used it in a general sense. You are now bringing this war to me for some reason though?

Here are some statements made:
"Therefore, let those who are watering their Christmas trees, water their Christmas trees, but you follow me."

"Charlie, Linus, and Lucy are the new prophets of the American Church. And the people love it so!"

"Are you alluding that if a Christian celebrates (what you called) the most 'indulgent' time of the year that they cannot be Christ's disciple?"

This last comment was in response to the impression given that Christians who celebrate Christmas are not as serious about being Christs disciples.

That was when I stepped in and said that:
"I never have to wonder where the term "religious nutcase" comes from. Just go on facebook or come to Christian forums like this one:-)"

So that was the context brother. I was referring to one particular persons comments, that is all.

But now that you have made an issue about my use of the word let me clarify how the term is used. It is primarily used by UNBELIEVERS when they see or hear us take on non-essential issues and get bent out of shape about them such as celebrating Christmas. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

So when an unbeliever sees a believer making a big deal about these things they think of us as "religious crackpots".

Now if they think or say that about us for our love for Jesus and love for others then let us wear that badge with honor. But if they think of us as religious crackpots because we denounce others for celebrating Christmas with their families then I think we need to take a long hard look at ourselves.

2016/12/15 9:40

Re:

double post

2016/12/15 9:40
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Are we becoming religious crackpots?

This post reminded me of an old expression. "People are so heavenly minded they are no earthly good!"

I am in a quandary about voicing opinions on political issues given that I am a Mennonite who believes in Biblical non-resistance. So, how proper is is for me to voice an opinion? I certainly have them, you can count on it. On the other hand I am not about to tell the gov to run their business like you run a church or use NT principles to do so - recognizing the gov is a ministry ordained by God whose purpose and methods differ to restrain evil in this world of sinners. Is it possible to think Biblicaly for both? Still, Jesus called Herod a Fox, so maybe it is OK for me to voice my opinions concerning an entity I cannot be a part of?

Sandra

2016/12/15 10:06Profile

Re:

"People are so heavenly minded they are no earthly good!"

"Maybe it is OK for me to voice my opinions..."

I agree sister and I also agree there is nothing wrong with not agreeing with celebrating Christmas or any number of things.

My point is that IF this is how the world sees us, IF the world sees a dour, miserable, never happy, never smiling, never able to enjoy humor, always seeing the negative and the wrong in everything and everybody...WHAT KIND OF JESUS ARE WE SHOWING THEM???

I don't know how much louder I can ask this question and yet I wonder if ANYONE on this forum this morning is even hearing the question at all?

2016/12/15 10:25
proudpapa

Re:

RE : /// If I feel that they are full of Love for me. And for others. And if by being in there company there Love is rubbing off on me.///

Is this the environment of SI ?

2016/12/15 10:30Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

Thanks for the KingJimmy link yuehan. He's really come into his own in the last couple years. I would wager that he would credit SI as an important milestone to bring him from young prophet and zealot to the heart of a minister. Based on the comments of other folks who have left and returned after a hiatus, they have been brought to a breaking point where the Lord has dealt with them and set them free from their striving and into rest. It blesses my heart to see them return meek and lowly of heart. All glory to our Lord Jesus Christ.

2016/12/15 10:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I sincerely apologize if you are offended by my use of the word "crackpot" if you think I am directing it towards you and the entire forum.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I first used that term in the Christmas thread AFTER reading some responses from ONE particular person. Honestly I could not believe what I was reading and yes it gave off the impression of a religious crackpot. I did not level that term directly at that person because I did not want to start a war. I used it in a general sense. You are now bringing this war to me for some reason though?

My concern simply is the words you were using "were" directed towards someone and that is coming in the area of personal attack.

"5. SPEAKING WITH GENTLENESS - Having mercy, gentleness, and meekness in our posts on the forums is not only good it is needful. Especially when there is not a face to face conversation one cannot understand a person's tone well so be extra careful to show forth your tone to people in the posts and try to ensure you are not accusing, or speaking angrily against another but adding positive affirmations and kindness into your posts. This will help to not give the devil any opportunity to bring division (Ephesians 4:27). For division, backbiting and sectarianism is carnality and we are not walking in the Spirit when doing so (Jude 1:19). "

7. SLANDERING OTHERS - We have a zero tolerance on slander, evil-speaking and speaking against a person's character without warrant. 'Slander no one.' / 'to malign no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing every consideration for all men.' NASB (Titus 3:2). This is a very important biblical principle and we ask that you would especially respect the biblical method of approaching a brother privately (Matthew 18:15).

from: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44556&forum=13

For full disclosure to saints, I did ask you privately to try and not use such strong language towards other brethren and you told me you wanted me to talk to you publicly about it.

This is an important issue because what matters is not being right or defending against what we think is more religious but being graceful to the other brethren, encouraging them, edifying others, helping in grace to point out an error with gentleness.

Again what offends the world ultimately is not stands for holiness, or righteousness (right or wrong), but rather how believers treat each other in language and bite and devour each other (Galatians 5:15).

How can one build fellowship with anyone calling them a "nutcase" "insane" or any other type of slang word?

2016/12/15 10:32Profile

Re:

Please lock this thread.

I'm done here.

2016/12/15 10:39

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy