SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : What happened to the prophetic gifts

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
dohzman

Re: Wowzer!!!

I turn my attention away from this topic and man did it explode with posts! It is sometime difficult to keep the order of dialogue straight and be constructive, so in general here is what I have seen and scripturally here is what I understand on the subject matter of prophesy the gift / prophet the office etc.... very basic.

Because there have been sOooooo many abuses in personal prophesy I always look to see if the Word going forth measures up to the fruit of wisdom listed in the Book of James, next I look for the actual principle or precept. Someone mentioned winning the lottery or getting a job...well the lottery is out because it is gambling...that would be flagged as false...now about a job...if the prophesy was a word of encouragement to keep seeking because the Lord was going to help you...the principle of seek and ye' shall find is applicable, that said I have heard a ton of seriously flawed...I am sure well intentioned words, but in the end they had no teeth. It still all begins with the responsibility of the "Hearer" being in prayer with Jesus and the Word of God, than the other gifts can kick in, like word of wisdom which is tied closely to word of knowledge, one is a disclosing the other is an acting on that which is often disclosed...Proof text....In the book of Acts 13 we have an example of the false which I will not go into, you can look it up...Word of know;edge/ discerning of spirits.... regardless it was the Authority of the Holy Spirit "In" the church with judgement here.

Now personally I am very extremely slow when it comes to placing the gifts of the Holy Spirit as true or false because honestly there are days ....weeks ...when I am just so busy it is all I can do to just keep my mind stayed on Jesus and so being a human I miss it a lot. I generally have to think through spoken things and search my mind prayerfully asking the Lord for help, I ask The Holy Spirit to verify and reveal Jesus in ,,,,the word or what ever, ultimately Jesus needs to be lifted up, Jesus points to the Father, The Father to The Son and the Holy Spirit to The Saviour and the churches, and Jesus to The Holy Spirit for the working of the gospel and edification of His Bride the church....So I watch for these patterns when it comes to prophesy...look for anything that is contrary to God nature or inconsistent with the principles or precepts of The Word of God.

All that said...there still are true Prophets, real prophetic words (giftings which can come and go at The Holy Spirits direction) Buuut mistakes will be made by real honest and loving people who really just want to help and be used by God The Holy Spirit in their pursuit of trying be as Jesus was.

2016/12/16 9:46Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Thanks Travis for the examples. As Sree mentioned as well, these gifts will only truly operate as we come together with other believers in body ministry and fellowship. Of course, the Holy Spirit works with us not apart from us and we as believers must yield to Him, ask and receive His operation by faith and step out in obedience.

" Now there are various kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are various kinds of service, and the same Lord. There are various kinds of workings, but the same God, who works all things in all. But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the profit of all. For to one is given through the Spirit the word of wisdom, and to another the word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit; to another faith, by the same Spirit; and to another gifts of healings, by the same Spirit; and to another workings of miracles; and to another prophecy; and to another discerning of spirits; to another different kinds of languages; and to another the interpretation of languages. But the one and the same Spirit works all of these, distributing to each one separately as he desires. "

" Follow after love, and earnestly desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. "

2016/12/16 10:29Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

dohzman: Appreciate what you just said. Try the spirits to see if they be from God. The word of God is the foundational bedrock on which all else is built and tested. The Holy Spirit would like to work in the life of each individual believer if we will allow Him. It is that same Holy Spirit that empowers for supernatural ministry that we rely on to give us insight into whether a thing is of God or not.

The key to hearing from God is intimacy with Him. Time spent in His presence and in His word. I believe a lot of times we are enamored by the gifts and have a desire to be used but we are not so enamored by the time alone with God, the intimacy that brings the true anointing of the Holy Spirit. So we seek the gift as some verification of our spirituality rather than seeking God and allowing Him to use us as He sees fit in the gifts.

2016/12/16 10:50Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

You say you believe in the gifts and even prophesy but I have to ask, have you ever heard it in your church on a regular basis?

Yes Lisa, One thing I am really interested in my church is what people confess. We give time with an open invite for people to confess their faith in our church. One thing I look forward is what the Lord spoke to them personally. I frequently hear people on their tears saying this word of God met their need of their heart. This to me is a greatest proof of prophesy in our Church. Even in newcomers, I am interested is, knowing whether God brought a conviction in their heart. I am not interested to know whether they have a good time or not. In fact recently someone who attended our church said they had a fun time meeting with us, it only bothered my heart. If Jesus was speaking to them through the Church then their hearts will be burning, not just some fun time.

Brother Zac once said that people meet him after a message in the Church asking him, "did you speak those words directing at me?". Brother Zac usually responds saying, yes to you only, if not to you do you think I was speaking to walls?

A local body is a place where God will have a word that is prophetic according to his burden for us. One can get God's word today in so many ways. SI does a great job as well. But a word according to God's burden for us is only available in a local Church.

For example we can go to any restaurant to eat good food that can satisfy our hunger, but a home food is still very special. One needs home food regularly, occasional restaurant food is fine. People who eat in restaurants alone will always have their health spoiled. Home food is the word that we get in our local Church, that God prepares for us with love and affection, the way a mother prepares food with affection for her child. I know how my mother used to consider the weather, my health and all sorts of things before preparing food for me! Now even my wife continues that ministry!

2016/12/16 11:21Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Over half of believers even more in Church history were some sort of cessationist belief according to modern spirit-filled believers.

I do not want to give an impression that I am perfect. I want to post something that I recently confessed in my church. I do believe that God's healing is still active even today. But few weeks back when both my children got sick on the same day, I did the following things in the exact order,
1. Took a day off to take care of my children by informing my manager of the family situation.
2. Made few calls to setup an appointment with our pediatrist. Got an appointment in next 2 hours.
3. Got my children ready for the appointment, took them there and got the medicines they prescribed.

After returning home, once I had time to take rest, I got a text from a sister in our church that she is praying for my children. The spirit immediately convicted me, that I who is their parent was least interested in praying for them, while the fellow brothers and sisters in Church are praying for them. I am not against using modern medical facilities, but first thing we need to do is pray to God for his divine healing. Though I am not a cessationist by belief, I behaved much worse than them. I do not believe God will approve my behavior even though I had all the doctrines right about healing. I then repented opening thanking my fellow brothers and sisters for their prayers.

Hope my confession helps someone here.

2016/12/16 11:39Profile
dohzman

Re: My take

My take on your story is that the "Body" of Christ stood in for your need while you did what was practical and needed, however if the Holy Spirit convicted you let God be true. In general...broad stroke brush I am not directing toward any specific individual here......

I have seen excesses in all directions and sometimes even doing something seemingly spiritual can and often does feed the flesh(as in many charismatic circles). The practical can also aid the cessationist the same way, instead of pressing in on the things of God...remember Jesus said matt 11:12 (out of context...same principle though)...most of the time the things of God extract from us a cost and our lack of faith or lack of personal commitment can be an excuse too that helps us or prevents us from pressing in on the things of God. This way we can explain a thing away and make a doctrine or teaching...I do believe it will be interesting in Heaven when we see what God had intended for us individually if only we would have followed Him with our whole heart (now I am speaking to myself)....I do believe the acts of the entire bible are ours if we want them bad enough to commit 24/7 and seek and follow after The Lord Jesus.. There are a few who are but I believe the vast majority are not...I identify with the latter so as not to be accused of throwing stones at anyone or any specific group.

2016/12/16 12:20Profile

Re: healing

this was many years ago when my son was 4 years old and he had the croup he was very sick I was a single parent but I did love the Lord I didn't know about praying over my son but my brother came over and my son was running a high fever and coughing and my brother said let's get on our knees and lay hands on Bryan so we got on our knees laid hands on him and ask the Lord to please heal him it was not even an hour later it happened within minutes my son quit coughing no more croup and his fever was gone. i will never forget that.

2016/12/19 0:49
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Praise the Lord sister!

This is the privilege of all believers, may we exercise it more and more!

2016/12/19 1:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy