SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What about Mark 10:17-22

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Elibeth

Re:

Brother Bear,
The Lord has a GREAT compassion and love for us all.
The Scriptures say, it is not His will that ANY perish.

Jesus, and also John The Baptist came preaching / teaching everywhere,
"Repent,for the kingdom of God is at hand."
" Repent,..make straight paths for your feet."

Save your selves from the wrath to come.

He did that for us when we were yet sinners.It was His love for us,...
not wanting us to burn in hell.

Even when He speaks to us,as he spoke to the rich young man,(His leading by His Spirit,..His commanding us,..His will for us), we have an
option,..He speaks, leads, draws,..(that is His command [ments] to us.
(individually) He put His finger on this mans riches.

The rich young man chose his own will / word...desire.

I believe in all these things Jesus is showing us examples, and we know that all Scriptures written by the inspiration of God,

I am seeing more and more,that what Jesus did when He walked this earth,
it has a specific meaning for us in a Spititual way.

Far instance:

His healings:
The blind,...He wants us to see Spiritually, ( give us eyes to see )
The delft ,... Ears to hear Spiritually
The crippled ,...our walk,..in The Spirit
The dead,..Lazarus is our example,..dead,bound from head to foot,..
Isn't that the way we were when we came to The Lord ?
And now, this young rich man,...and us when The Lord speaks,...puts His finger on any number of things in our life, ...
What will we do ?

I believe this Scripture is given to us,for an example for hearing / obeying.
Being "lead by The Spirit of God"
I know my wording is not very good,but it is from my heart and the seeing
that The Lord has been so gracious to give.

Loving all,
--------------
elizabeth

2016/12/3 18:11Profile

Re: Elisabeth

Sister I am in agreement with you. I believe God zhows His love to us to draw us to Himself. Yst there will be those, such as the rich young ruler who will turn away from the love of Jesus to the things of this world. That is so sad.

-bbs-

2016/12/3 18:25
savannah

Re: on topic

Blaine, you said, "Brother the topic under discussion is the rich young ruler. The text under discussion is Jesus felt a love for Him."

As in my first post, so with this one as well. The comments on Mark 14:51,52 from John Daniel Jones referred to the rich young ruler in Mark 10. Here again is another man who believes that this rich young ruler was Mark himself.

Ray Steadman on the rich young ruler -

And Jesus looking upon him loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." At that saying his countenance fell, and he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions. (Mark 10:21-22 RSV)

Jesus is saying, "You have the qualities it takes to enter the kingdom. You are simple and direct, you are teachable, and you are obedient. That is, you have been. Now let's see how much you have retained of those qualities How obedient are you now? How far do you carry this willingness to act upon what you know to be true? You lack but one thing: go and sell all that you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come and follow me."

There is an ironic humor in the young man's response: "He went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions." Would you go away sorrowful if you had great possessions? If you had just won fifty thousand dollars in a television give-away program, would you go away sorrowful? No, you would be rejoicing. But this young man went away sorrowful, because he had great possessions. Why? Of course the answer is that he could see there was no way he could serve two masters. Jesus in that marvelous way of his, had pierced right to the heart of this young man's life, right to the deep things of his spirit, and had shown him that he was owned by another god. This young man, who had everything that money and power and youth could give him, nevertheless had wanted something far more important. He saw it, caught a glimpse of it, wanted it -- eternal life not just living forever, but a quality of life he knew he lacked, an emptiness within his spirit he could not fill. But he knew this could fill it, and he wanted it. But he was sorrowful, because he also knew, at the words of Jesus, that he had to give up the other in order to have this; he could not have both. This is why he went away sorrowful -- because he had great possessions.

As you know, I do not believe this is the end of the story. I pointed this out in the initial message in these studies on Mark. I believe, from various indications in Scripture, that this young man was Mark himself. It is only Mark who tells us that when Jesus looked at this young man, he loved him. How could Mark know that, if Jesus had not told him? And Mark was indeed a rich young man, a member of the aristocratic ruling class in Israel. He fits this picture in many ways. And only Mark tells us of the young man who flees from the scene of the arrest of Jesus, leaving his garment in the hands of the soldiers, and runs off naked into the night. If this was indeed Mark, then there must have come a time when this young man, weighing what Jesus had said, understanding that he was putting all his present comfort and material wealth in the balance against eternal life, against the importance and value of his soul both now and in eternity, understanding that he was giving up the satisfaction of all the deep things of his manhood in exchange for these paltry riches, decided to put it all away and obey Jesus. He gave everything away, and had nothing left but a robe, and came and followed Jesus. And that is why he writes this Gospel.

Now, this is my own speculation. It is not what the Scripture teaches. It is the Stedmaniac view. You may not agree, and that is fine.   Ray Steadman

I will say to you as Ray Steadman says above, you may not agree, therefore your query remains unanswered, and that is fine with me.

But I do believe that the rich young ruler was Mark himself, which is more than a satisfactory answer for me regarding your query.

2016/12/3 19:50Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

Blaine said,
“Brethren some in this forum are implying, if not outright saying, that God loves only those He has chosen. The sheep if you will. This will imply God hates those He has not chosen. The goats if you will.
So I ask again why does Jesus feel a love for the rich young ruler who turned away from His invite to follow Him.”

Blaine,
I am certainly not dogmatic on this and definitely believe that no one’s salvation is in jeopardy if they believe otherwise.

I believe that we choose God, not that He chooses us. If I choose to reject God, its my free choice. I still believe Gods love is available to me, but if I die and do not receive Gods love, its my choice, I rejected Him, He did not reject me. I would be the fool, God forbid.

I agree the rich young ruler was loved by God, Gods love was available but if he chooses to reject Gods love and THEN dies without receiving that love, it avails him nothing. So I am only suggesting or implying and again I am not dogmatic on this, that Gods hatred would only be used in a past tense.

If we choose to die, rejecting Gods love, and look back, we chose to be hated. Jesus says by our own words we will be justified and by our own words we will be condemned. I believe it is not only our words but also our confession and actions.

I just do not see any benefit in saying God still loves those who rejected Him and end up in the lake of fire, and I put ALL the burden of that choice on them, not God.

If we as well as the rich young ruler reject him while we are still alive and there is still hope that we might turn then yes I believe God loves us and him right up to our last breath.

Blessings!

2016/12/4 12:33Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re: Todd

All is well Todd, again it is not a salvation issue and I am quite content in being wrong.

LOL on the peanut butter and onion sandwich, I have actually had that but the sandwich also contained a juicy hamburger and bacon as well, sounds crazy but God knows its good!

Another favorite is a fried egg and peanut butter sandwich!

Blessings!

2016/12/4 12:42Profile

Re: too close to home for me

I happen to belong to a church where the doctrine of 'Crunchy Peanut Butter is Better" is fiercely defended!!!

2016/12/4 16:21
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

1 Corinthians 1:27-31 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

I was one of those "are not", and now I am a "are".
God has made unto me, "in Christ Jesus". He is my all. All my glory is in Him and He in me.

Colossians 1:27-29 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Because of He that is in me I can now ((CHOose)) without Him I could not. I only believed because of Him and His proving to me who He is. I could not believe without He being birthed in me, by Christ in me, by the Holy Spirit truth, and by Paul that Jesus chose to send to me that I might hear and believe.

Amen

In Christ: Phillip

2016/12/4 18:06Profile

Re:

"Because of He that is in me I can now ((CHOose)) without Him I could not."

100% wrong and a clever lie of the calvinists. All throughout the bible from the front cover to the back is instruction from God to choose Him and we see example after example of men and women doing so.

2016/12/4 18:53
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Philip wrote: "Because of He that is in me I can now ((CHOose)) without Him I could not. I only believed because of Him and His proving to me who He is. I could not believe without He being birthed in me, by Christ in me, by the Holy Spirit truth, and by Paul that Jesus chose to send to me that I might hear and believe."

I don't mean to be obtuse but that sounds like you have to be saved before you can be saved.

2016/12/4 19:48Profile

Re:

Okay let me see if I get this straight. Jesus feels s love for the rich young ruler. The Lord invites him to go sell everything he has and give to the poor and come follow Him. The rich young ruler turns away from Christ and does not accept the invitation.

Okay one would say that the rich young ruler turned away from Christ because he was not chosen by God. So if the rich young ruler was not chosen by God. Why did Jesus feel a love for Him?

At this point I am totally confused. Would somebody please clear up the above conundrum. I mean those of you that are of a certain theological suasion that will remain unnamed.

-bbs-

2016/12/4 20:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy