SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : 7000 years = 7 days?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
check out UndeniableBiblicalProof.com very interesting Makes so much sense Israel became a nation again in 1948. Every one knows the fig tree represents Israel. This generation shall not pass until all these things take place.

Though there is clear evidence of the possibility of each day being a thousand years from early Church fathers also bearing witness. But towards the website mentioned here saints we should show great caution as date setting of any type is a deception and many false prophets will arise and say:

Matthew 24:23-25 New International Version (NIV)

23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

We should anticipate the soon coming of our Lord but also be on guard from false prophets.

2016/11/29 20:35Profile
savannah

Re: fascination + speculation

2 Peter 3:8

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

In Scripture, generally ‘a thousand years’ is simply indicative of a long period of time. The nearest example to its use here is found in Psalms 90:4, ‘For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night’. There also the idea is that a thousand years is to God as but the passing of a brief period of time, the third of a night (the night was split into three watches). But such a use of ‘a thousand’ in Scripture to indicate ‘a great many’ is common.

Thus we have the following:

‘The Lord, the God of your fathers make you a thousand times so many more as you are, and bless you, as He has promised you!’ (Deuteronomy 1:11). Here it is simply the equivalent of our saying, ‘I have a thousand things to do.’ It simply means, ‘many times’.

‘And the man said to Joab, ‘Though I should receive a thousand shekels of silver in my hand, yet would I not put forth mine hand against the king's son: for in our hearing the king charged you and Abishai and Ittai, saying, Beware that none touch the young man Absalom’ (2 Samuel 18:12). This is similar to the first case and simply means a large round number.

‘For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills’ (Psalms 50:10). We can assume that no one asks who the cattle on the other hills belong to.

‘Your neck is like the tower of David built for an armoury, on which there hang a thousand bucklers, all shields of mighty men’ (Song of Solomon 4:4). Again the significance is of a large number.

‘And it shall come about in that day, that every place, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, shall even be for briars and thorns (Isaiah 7:23). Again the significance is a large number.

‘Belshazzar the king made a great feast to a thousand of his lords, and drank wine before the thousand’ (Daniel 5:1). It is doubtful if this is intended to indicate an actual number. It rather means a large number of lords.

More significant in this context are the examples where ‘a thousand’ is used with a time word indicating the passage of time:

‘Know therefore that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God, Who keeps covenant and mercy with those who love Him and keep His commandments to a thousand generations’ (Deuteronomy 7:9). We suspect here that no one would suggest here that God’s mercy would fail once the thousand generations were past, nor that it bound God specifically to a thousand generations. It simply means a great many generations.

‘For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of My God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness’ (Psalms 84:10). Again the significance of ‘a thousand’ is ‘many’, and once more in a time context.

‘For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night’ (Psalms 90:4). Here the idea is of a large number, (he could have used any large round number). It is important here because it refers both to how God sees time, and to a time context.

‘He has remembered His covenant for ever, the word which He commanded to a thousand generations’ (Psalms 105:8). Here again we have a reference to God’s view of time and it is related specifically to the passing of time and to a time word, ‘generations’. No one would suggest that here the idea is that after a thousand generation He would forget His covenant, nor that He is indicating that a thousand generations will actually be achieved.

‘Yes, though he live a thousand years twice told, yet has he seen no good. Do not all go to one place?’ (Ecclesiastes 6:6). Here ‘a thousand years’ signifies a long time, and interestingly it can without difficulty be seen as two thousand.

‘And he laid hold on the monster, the old Serpent who is the Devil, and bound him for a thousand years, and cast him into the Abyss, --- that he should deceive the nations no more until the thousand years be finished’ (Revelation 20:5). There are no Scriptures anywhere else that suggest any other than that this is simply referring to a long period of time.

‘And they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. The rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years should be finished --- they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years’ (Revelation 20:4-6). Again there are no Scriptures anywhere else that suggest that the thousand here is to be taken literally.

All this would seem to stress the fact that when God says ‘a thousand years’ it simply means a long extent of time, although not a long time to God. And this is especially so as his statement is not just that a day can be seen as a thousand years, but that a thousand years is also to God the equivalent of one day. A thousand years is but a blink of His eye. - - - Peter Pett

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

There's absolutely no warrant in the Scripture to exegetically come to such a conclusion as the subject of this thread is implying.

2016/11/29 21:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy