SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Who is "he" ?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
savannah

Who is "he" ?

1 Corinthians 7:36-38

But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry. Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well. So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.

Who is the "he" being referred to in the above passages?

2016/11/22 6:56Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Who is "he" ?

The "man" is used as a noun and "he" is used as a pronoun referring back to the noun man.

2016/11/22 8:15Profile
savannah

Re: who is the "man"?

So who is the "man", "he" is referring back to?

2016/11/22 8:42Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Who is "he" ?

Could be the girls "bethrothed" but the last verses make it sound like the father?

2016/11/22 9:18Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Well it says "any man" but I agree with brother William in that it seems to refer to a father ...

2016/11/22 9:28Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Darby brings another angle on this which actually makes sense in context:

"But if any one think that he behaves unseemly to his virginity, if he be beyond the flower of his age, and so it must be, let him do what he will, he does not sin: let them marry. But he who stands firm in his heart, having no need, but has authority over his own will, and has judged this in his heart to keep his own virginity, he does well. So that he that marries himself does well; and he that does not marry does better. "

2016/11/22 10:53Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Read the whole chapter. He's talking about what the guy in 'O Brother Where Art Thou?' called a "fee-AWN-say". :) Couples who were not yet married.

Quote:

I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:

33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

34 There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

35 And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.

36 But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.

Note the theme in v. 35, 36: Comeliness (beauty) of not being snared by cares for the world in marriage vs. uncomeliness (ugliness) of not being able to avoid natural sexual desires that would counsel marriage over against burning through uncontained vessels. (Cf. vv. 7-9.)

2016/11/22 11:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy