SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jonah

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
WayneFerrel

Raytown, MO

Jonah

Why did Jonah still want Ninevah destroyed after he warned them and they repented?

2005/6/5 21:16Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Jonah

That's a good question and I believe the short answer is that, despite his prophetic calling, Jonah had problems just like you and I.

This is just conjecture but I think maybe Jonah had first hand experience of the wickedness of the Ninevites. They were known to be very evil and were definately enemies of Israel, perhaps Jonah lost someone close to him at their hand.

Or maybe it was just jealousy for God's glory, we don't know for sure, but whatever it was, it seems to me Jonah held a deep grudge even to the point of being angry over his own successful ministry to the Ninevites. That is indeed puzzling, but I love how God used men and women with the same infirmities we have, it is encouraging to me.

God lovingly and gently rebuked him for his anger in chapter 4, amazingly using a simple gourd. I love this book of the Bible, there is much to glean from it.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/6/5 23:58Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Jonah

[i]Jon 4:2 And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.[/i]

[b]Jon 4:2 - And he prayed unto the Lord[/b],.... But in a very different manner from his praying in the fish's belly: this was a very disorderly prayer, put up in the hurry of his spirit, and in the heat of passion: prayer should be fervent indeed, but not like that of a man in a fever; there should be a warmth and ardour of affection in it, but it should be without wrath, as well as without doubting: this is called a prayer, because Jonah thought it to be so, and put it up to the Lord as one. It begins in the form of a prayer; and it ends with a petition, though an unlawful one; and has nothing of true and right prayer in it; no celebration of the divine Being, and his perfections; no confession of sin, ore petition for any blessing of providence or grace; but mere wrangling, contending, and quarrelling with God:

[b]and said, I pray thee, O Lord, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country?[/b] in Judea, or in Galilee, at Gathhepher; was not this what I thought and said within myself, and to thee, that this would be the issue and consequence of going to the Ninevites; they would repent of their sins, and thou wouldst forgive them; and so thou wouldst be reckoned a liar, and I a false prophet? and now things are come to pass just as I thought and said they would: and thus he suggests that he had a greater or better foresight of things than God himself; and that it would have been better if his saying had been attended unto, and not the order of him to Nineveh; how audacious and insolent was this!

[b]therefore I fled before unto Tarshish;[/b] before he could have a second order to Nineveh: here he justifies his flight to Tarshish, as if he had good reason for it; and that it would have been better if he had not been stopped in his flight, and had gone to Tarshish, and not have gone to Nineveh. This is amazing, after such severe corrections for his flight, and after such success at Nineveh:

[b]for I know that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger[/b],

[b]and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil[/b]; this he knew from his own experience, for which he had reason to be thankful, and from the proclamation of God, in Exo_34:6; which be seems to have respect unto; and a glorious one it is, though Jonah seems to twit and upbraid the Lord with his grace and mercy to men, as if it was a weakness and infirmity in him, whereas it is his highest glory, Exo_33:18; he seems to speak of him, and represent him, as if he was all mercy, and nothing else; which is a wrong representation of him; for he is righteous as well as merciful; and in the same place where he proclaims himself to be so, he declares that he will "by no means clear the guilty", Exo_34:7, but here we see that good men, and prophets, and ministers of the word, are men of like passions with others, and some of greater passions; and here we have an instance of the prevailing corruptions of good men, and how they break out again, even after they have been scourged for them; for afflictions, though they are corrections for sin, and do restrain it, and humble for it, and both purge and prevent it, yet do not wholly remove it.

John Gill's Exposition

2005/6/6 0:38Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
This is just conjecture but I think maybe Jonah had first hand experience of the wickedness of the Ninevites. They were known to be very evil and were definately enemies of Israel, perhaps Jonah lost someone close to him at their hand.

The Assyrian Empire was the Third Reich of the ancient world. It was vicious in its cruelty and made terror its chief means of control. Their expatriation of captive peoples also mirrored the Nazi era. This command would have been the equivalent of an American during the Kruschev-Kennedy era hearing that God was about to strike Moscow and then being given the message that he knew would would bring about Moscow's respite and so make possible an inevitable pattern which would result in the destruction of his home country. It is little wonder that Jonah was tempted as he was.

The curious thing about the book is that it ends with a question mark, not over Assyria but, over Jonah. As it ends he still seems locked into controversy with God. It is amazing how the Bible leaves so many stories unfinished; this is an indication of its divine origin, man would surely have tidied it up?

2005/6/6 6:32Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Ah!

Quote:
It is amazing how the Bible leaves so many stories unfinished; this is an indication of its divine origin, man would surely have tidied it up?

So true! Paul's date with Caeser after how many years(?) comes quickly to mind, especially after all that build up, and then ______

Reminded also of Ravenhill mentioning something to the effect of not bargining in on him while he is discussing all these things with Paul for a few lifetimes, would be perfectly happy to just listen in on the conversation.

2005/6/6 9:11Profile
roadsign

Re: a passion for justice

Jonah seemed to reflect typical human reasoning. I believe that there is within everyone a sense of justice for wrongs - but it is often not balanced with mercy. Just look at the news, listen to those victims whom reporters interview. We see a strong passion to make the guilty ones pay for their sins - even if it would make absolutely no difference -being after the fact. Few desire to see the criminal restored and redeemed. Few reflect the heart of God - desire for mercy, compassion, and forgiven. They rather want people to get "what they deserve". Letting people off the hook, even if they repent, seems to go against the grain of thinking.

Jonah lacked the heart of God. That was obvious whne he was more troubled about his own discomfort (the vine episode) than he was in the deaths of an entire city!

How about the prevelent attitude towards the homosexuals, abortionists, or the Muslims? Is it any different? Do Chritians, in general, desire justice, or mercy????

The amazing thing is that God worked through Jonah in spite of him rather than because of him. And that is the good news for all those sinners whom God loves. God will not let our human failings win over his compassion. His New Covenant promises will prevail.
Diane

2005/6/6 9:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy