SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "...and the poor have the Gospel preached to them."

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

"...and the poor have the Gospel preached to them."

Twice Jesus used the aforementioned phrase: in Matthew 11:5 and Luke 7:22. In considering all of the related Scriptures I cannot help but wonder---is Christianity the poor man's religion? I realize that's not well-phrased, because to genuinely follow Christ is to have eternal life, and is not a 'religion' at all. But look at these verses:

So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof. Proverbs 1:19

There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches. Proverbs 13:7

He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live. Proverbs 15:27

Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom. Proverbs 23:4

A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent. Proverbs 28:20

He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him. Proverbs 28:22

The sleep of a labouring man is sweet, whether he eat little or much: but the abundance of the rich will not suffer him to sleep. Ecclesiastes 5:12

As a cage is full of birds, so are their houses full of deceit: therefore they are become great, and waxen rich. Jeremiah 5:27

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. Matthew 19:24

He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. Luke 1:53

But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation. Luke 6:24

For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich. 2 Corinthians 8:9

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 1 Timothy 6:9

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 1 Timothy 6:10

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? James 2:5

Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you. James 5:1

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec

2016/10/30 15:00
TMK

NC, USA

Re: "...and the poor have the Gospel preached to them."

Great question-- what's a rich person to do?

2016/10/30 19:04Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi brothers,

I guess the rich man must become poor, not necessarily in the way St Francis did, but by having an attitude toward his riches of distrust. Trusting in God and not in his riches and being generous in giving and sharing with those in need.

2016/10/31 3:01Profile

Re:

Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. 1 Timothy 6:17-19

2016/10/31 15:18

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy