SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A little levity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

A little levity

Recently I gave some directions to our house- A King James Version and The Message version:

"KING JAMES" VERSION
1. thou shalt proceed eastward on "A" road until thou runnest into "B" road.
2. at the meeting of B road and A road, thou shalt immediately turn to thy left. thou shalt not turn to the right, nor shalt thou proceed straightforward. Left thou shalt turn, and the turn that thou makest shall be to thy left.
3. thou shalt next proceed to the north on B road approximately 50 cubits and a span. therafter thou shalt see a sign on thy left. thou shalt heed the sign and the location theref, to assurest that the sign dost read "C lane." when thou seest the sign that dost read "C lane", thou shalt proceed to signal thy intention to turn left. Left shalt thou turn. thou shalt not proceed straightforward, for such way leads to dissipation. rather, thou shalt turn to thy left, and left is the way thou shalt turn.
4. as thou travelest upon C lane, thou shalt immediately notice a sign that dost read "D rd." when this sign shall appear unto you, thou shalt once again signal thy intention to turn left. thou shalt not proceed straight away, for such is the path of destruction. rather shalt thou turn to thy left. left shalt thou turn, and the manner of thy turning shall be to thy left.
5. thou shalt then proceedest to follow D road to the farthest cul-de-sac. thou shalt not stop at the first cul-de-sac, for such is the road to folly. when thou reachest the furthest cul-de-sac, thou shalt search for a house on thy left. thou shalt not look to thy right, neither shalt thou look straightaway. left is the way thou shalt look, and left shall be the direction of thy looking.
6. thou shalt look for a tan colored house with white trimmings thereabout. thou shalt not search for a white house, nor shalt thou search for a green house or a blue house. tan is the color of the house, and the color of the house that thou seekest is tan.
7. here is wisdom. let him who hath understanding count the number of the house: for it is the number of a family, and the number is 7-6-1-6.

"THE MESSAGE" Version

1. go east on A road
2. turn left on B
3. turn left on C
4. turn left on D
5. drive around to the far end of D to the cul de sac
6. look on your left for a tan house with white trim
7. the house number is 7616.

2016/10/26 12:33Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: A little levity

This is wonderful!!!!

Thank you for a little bit of levity!!

2016/10/26 13:19Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

LOL Todd!!

Thanks! 😂

2016/10/26 13:38Profile
forrests

"But to this one I will look, To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word."
~ Isaiah 66:2

Trembles at His word...not makes jokes about.

(P.S. I also don't find that to be a fair or accurate representation of 'The Message' "Bible".)

2016/10/26 16:29Profile
jochbaptist

To be fair, "THE MESSAGE" Version should be more like this .....

1. Explore eastward on A road from the depths of your heart
2. turn to YOUR left on B without concern for gawking eyes
3. Or be concerned with nitwits, boldly turn left on C
4. turn left on D to your Fathers bursting delight
5. Dear friend drive around to the far end of D to the rounded space
6. look on your left for a blessed tan dwelling with a freshly fallen snow white trim
7. Don’t assume that you know it all but seek the house whose number is 7616.

;)

2016/10/26 17:49Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

LOL @ jochbaptist

For some more levity here are some church bulletin bloopers, these have been posted here from time to time and are good for a laugh.

Return of the Church Bulletins. . .

They're back! Church Bulletins: Thank God for church ladies with typewriters. These sentences actually appeared in church bulletins or were announced in church services:

Fasting & Prayer Conference includes meals.

The sermon this morning: "Jesus Walks on the Water." The sermon tonight: "Searching for Jesus."

Our youth basketball team is back in action Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. in the recreation hall. Come out and watch us kill Christ the King.

Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Don't forget your husbands.

The peace-making meeting scheduled for today has been canceled due to a conflict.

Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our community. Smile at someone who is hard to love. Say "Hell" to someone who doesn't care much about you.

Don't let worry kill you off - let the Church help.

Miss Charlene Mason sang, "I Will Not Pass This Way Again," giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.

For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.

Next Thursday, there will be try outs for the choir. They need all the help they can get.

Barbara remains in the hospital and needs blood donors for more transfusions. She is also having trouble sleeping and requests tapes of Pastor Jack's sermons.

The Rector will preach his farewell message after which the choir will sing, "Break Forth Into Joy."

Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married on October 24th in the church. So ends a friendship that began in their school days.

A Bean Supper will be held on Tuesday evening in the church hall. Music will follow.

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be, "What Is Hell?" Come early and listen to our choir practice.

Eight new choir robes are currently needed due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of some older ones.

Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.

Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person you want remembered.

The church will host an evening of fine dining, super entertainment and gracious hostility.

Potluck Supper Sunday at 5:00 p.m. - Prayer and medication to follow.

This evening at 7:00 p.m., there will be a hymn-singing in the park across from the Church. Bring a blanket and come prepared to sin.

Low Self-Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7:00 p.m. Please use the back door.

The eighth-graders will be presenting Shakespeare's Hamlet in the Church Basement on Friday at 7:00 p.m. The congregation is invited to attend this tragedy.

2016/10/26 19:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Since it was brought up I did want to clarify that I was not making fun of the scriptures; I was simply doing gross caricatures of the KJ style and The Message style. Making fun of scripture would require taking a passage and ridiculing its content. I feel like a dweeb having to defend my intent because I assumed it was obvious.

It was for folks in my Bible study so they could appreciate it.

JB- your MSG parody was great!

2016/10/26 19:41Profile

Re:

oh Todd you dweeb lol. This was brilliant btw.

2016/10/26 20:03
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

The opposite of levity is gravity, which is related to "grave," as in, "'Trembles at His word...not makes jokes about,' said Forrest gravely."

"'P.S. I also don't find that to be a fair or accurate representation of 'The Message' "Bible"', added Forrest in a voice that sounded like two gravestones rubbing together."

2016/10/26 22:17Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by wayneman
The opposite of levity is gravity, which is related to "grave," as in, "'Trembles at His word...not makes jokes about,' said Forrest gravely."

"'P.S. I also don't find that to be a fair or accurate representation of 'The Message' "Bible"', added Forrest in a voice that sounded like two gravestones rubbing together."

I love this thread!! LOL

More, more levity, you guys!!!

2016/10/26 22:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy