SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Philosophical question about prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Philosophical question about prayer

Do you think that sometimes God does not do something because one specific person does not pray, despite the fact that other people ARE praying?

Example, (from God's perspective): "if X would pray, I would send revival. I know that a, b, and c are praying but X must also pray."

2016/10/12 19:20Profile
forrests

Re: Philosophical question about prayer

"Even if Moses and Samuel stood before Me, My mind would not be favorable toward this people..."

~ The LORD God to Jeremiah; Jer. 15:1

One could infer from this statement that there are some that have extra influence with the Almighty...

2016/10/12 19:43Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Todd,

I like brother Forrests response and ..." the prayer of a righteous man availeth much". So again from this passage there seems to be the suggestion that it does work that way-

2016/10/12 23:30Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Philosophical question about prayer

Brothers,

I don't think so. God clearly states He is no respecter of persons.
The people and happenings in the OT are mostly given as example to us who are now, through faith, the righteousness of God in Christ.
We know, says John, that he hears our prayers and if He hears us He will answer us, one way or another at one time or another.
I think the answers to certain prayers are just longer in coming because they must come in His time according to His will.

Mark 11 from verse 20 "In the morning as they passed by, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. Peter remembered and said to him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered.” Jesus said to them, “Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, * if someone says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. For this reason I tell you, whatever you pray and ask for, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. "

2016/10/13 0:39Profile
forrests

Re: William

"And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight."
~ 1 John 3:22

Brother William, I agree - God is no respecter of persons, His word is clear on that. But He is a respecter of obedience and faithfulness. He is a respecter of His Son and the measure of Him that is formed and living in and through us, as I believe the above scripture reveals.

It isn't anything in Moses or Samuel, of themselves, but that they honored Him and He honors them that honor Him...

"Therefore the LORD God of Israel says: 'I said indeed that your house and the house of your father would walk before Me forever.' But now the LORD says: 'Far be it from Me; for those who honor Me I will honor, and those who despise Me shall be lightly esteemed."
~ 1 Samuel 2:30 (NKJV)

2016/10/13 9:07Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi brother Forrest,

I hear you and understand your point.

I am just responding to Todd's OP in the light of New Covenant revelation and relationship.
Of course, many times, only God Himself will know why He answers or does not answer prayer and whether the man or woman praying has met His conditions, but in general, Christ is now our Intercessor and the throne of Grace is open to all who come with faith.
As per Todd's example, revival will come when any and all believers seek God's face and earnestly pray for it and mean business with God.
Elijah was a man of like passions as we are (nothing special in other words) but he prayed earnestly and effectually.

God bless,

2016/10/13 9:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy