SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "It is not your hold of Christ that saves you; it is His hold of you."

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
yuehan

"It is not your hold of Christ that saves you; it is His hold of you."

I love this quote by Spurgeon: "It is not your hold of Christ that saves you; it is His hold of you."

I'm curious though about the Scriptural basis for it. Can anyone direct me to relevant biblical verses substantiating the quote?

Would be cool to hear your thoughts and reflections on this quote too.

2016/10/1 9:03Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: "It is not your hold of Christ that saves you; it is his hold of you."

Eph. 2:8, 9 ?

2016/10/1 9:20Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Brother John,

Tho I like and to a certain extent agree with this excerpt from Spurgeon, there is an inevitable implication that I've never been able to find a clear scriptural basis for. One would think that, due to its gravity, if it were true as many hope it is, scriptures would be more clear regarding it.

We are all aware how much this has been studied and subsequently debated for centuries and neither position has budged.

It seems to be an experiential issue of faith... in that respect I totally get and relate to Spurgeon here as there have been many occasions where I have been less than faithful and yet Lord Jesus has remained faithful. So in this way I can share in brother Spurgeons words-
Having said this, there are numerous verses that speak of the believers responsibility regarding the faith and seem (to me) to imply that as conditional...
At the end of the day I can be and may be deceived where the scriptures themselves cannot,... so (for me) my experience, no matter how substantial, is always secondary to what the scriptures plainly teach.

2016/10/1 9:33Profile
savannah

I submit just this, knowing that Scripture does not contradict;

1 peter1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again to a living hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, 5Who are kept by the power of God through faith to salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Luke 22:31 Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith will not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”

John 17:20 Neither for these only do I pray, but for them also that believe on me through their word;

2016/10/1 10:40Profile
yuehan

Re:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I can also recall Jude 1:24 - "Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy..."

BTW in Spurgeon's original sermon, his emphasis was that we should focus not on our faith, but on the object of our faith - Jesus Christ. I think those are wise sentiments.

When I focus on my ability to cling to Jesus - that's like trying to hold onto the edge of a helicopter lest I plunge to my death, and so the peace of God eludes me. But when I consent to let Jesus grab hold of me, my mind is governed by His Spirit, who fills me with life and peace.

2016/10/1 11:33Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother John wrote; "When I focus on my ability to cling to Jesus - that's like trying to hold onto the edge of a helicopter lest I plunge to my death, and so the peace of God eludes me. But when I consent to let Jesus grab hold of me, my mind is governed by His Spirit, who fills me with life and peace."

AMEN dear brother AMEN!

I sincerely appreciate your including "when I consent" in that this (to me) seems to be the point of contention for so many when it could/should be a point of unity in the faith:)

2016/10/1 11:44Profile
yuehan

Re:

Fletcher,

More succinctly, "Let go and let God" :)

2016/10/1 12:11Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Yes brothers, I cannot picture Jesus Christ holding us by the scruff of the neck while we kick and scream to be somewhere else 🙂
Paradoxes of the Christian life. Dying to live, losing to gain, humbling ourselves to be exalted. Holding on by letting go...

As always, it IS His power that keeps us, yes, but that through faith.
All of the benefits we possess in Christ remains ours as we remain in Him and hold fast to our faith in Christ. That holding fast is not a fleshly grasping but a patient trusting rest in Him.

Blessings,

2016/10/1 13:22Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Thank you for this post and the comments that were made.

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:" (Philippians 1:6).

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith."

Even before we were saved it was God that was drawing us to Himself by the Holy Spirit.

We were saved by grace, and it is by grace that we stand.

The vine is holding the branches up, and it is our responsibility to abide in Him and bring forth fruit.

"My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand. My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand.…" (John 10:27-29).

2016/10/1 14:37Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: "It is not your hold of Christ that saves you; it is His hold of you."

I need to hold the hand of him that holds me firm. I could struggle myself free and he would let go of me, but not without entreating me back.

Remember the lost son, the father did not hold him back.

Here is where my hold is required. Negligence on my side will lead to loss.

Hold fast to the word 1 Cor 15:2, Php 2:16, Tit 1:9, 2 Timothy 1:13

Hold fast to the head Colossians 2:19

Hold fast to what is good 1 Thessalonians 5:21

Hold fast to the tradition taught 2 Thessalonians 2:15

hold fast the confidence Heb 3:6

Hold fast our confession Heb 4:14, Heb 10:23

hold fast to My name Rev 2:13

hold fast what you have Rev 2:25, Rev 3:11

2016/10/1 17:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy