SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Where does this sentance belong?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

Where does this sentance belong?

1 Corinthians 14:32-34 reads like this in the NKJV:

32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
34Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says.

But reads like this in the NIV:

32The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.
34As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.

The sentance in question is "as in all the congregations [churches] of the saints"

Almost all versions have it in verse 33, but I think it should belong to verse 34.

What is your opinion?

2003/10/16 7:27Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Where does this sentance belong?

Hi Nasher
“the boy kicked the donkey”. In English this can only mean one thing; the subject/verb/object order determines the meaning. However, in Greek, the case endings of the words would give the meaning. Depending on the case endings this could equally mean that the ‘donkey kicked the boy’. The order of the words in Greek does often have a subtle nuance in emphasis. E.g. ‘this is My beloved Son’ in the Greek order is literally; ‘this is the Son, mine, the beloved one’. In this ordering you can hear the heart of God; this is the Son, He is mine, He is beloved. Add to this nuance of emphasis the fact that the original document did not have chapters, verses, or even punctuation and you can see why we should read as many versions as possible. Amy Carmichael believed that all versions captured something uniquely of the original.
If two interpretations are possible and not mutually exclusive, why not take both of them? Having said all this I think the ASV has probably got the right feel about it…
…for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints,
let the women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as also saith the law. Note that the ASV is forced to stick to the verse divisions but ends verse 33 with a comma and begins verse 34 with a lower case letter. I think it has captured the flow of thought here. You will see then that Paul draws a double authority for what he is saying; the testimony of the churches and of the law. Two witnesses is often significant in scripture.
We know in part….

2003/10/16 12:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy