SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Baptism - is it 'for' or 'because of' the remission of sins?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Baptism - is it 'for' or 'because of' the remission of sins?

I have been doing a study on this subject because there has been a tugawar within me on this and some around me who are telling me what it really means.

'eis' is the Greek word for this and apparently it is a preposition. I have heard a few people and read a few commentaries say that it is actually referencing 'because of. Yet I am finding much more commentary that 'eis' is looking forward and not backward which means that in context it is saying baptism for the remission of sins and not 'because of' the remission of sins.

Now. Catholic and Lutherans have this teaching as well as the Church of Christ. To my knowledge every other Christian denom would say it is 'because of' or that baptism is a grace to wash away Adam's in and the person needs to fulfill their baptism by believing and repanting at some point in their life. This is what i am come to see at the church I attend.......I don't agree with it.

Have any of you done a study on this 'FOR' as it relates to baptism and the remission of sins?

I did hear a podcast commentary that mentioned baptism was given, and tongues, for confirmation to the Jews that the gentiles received salvation and only in a couple of instances were people saved before they were baptized such as Acts 10:44-49.

I am seeking to understand this. Can you provide me more input that I may not know in this area?

2016/9/21 20:41Profile
savannah

Re: Baptism - is it 'for' or 'because of' the remission of sins?

Briefly, I will just say this...

I had a migraine headache today, and I mentioned it to my coworker.

He said, "you should take some Advil for your headache", and so I did!

I may say more about it (the subject of this thread) later!

2016/9/21 20:56Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Savannah

Your post is as if you are drunk and started to respond to my post but then something else got your attention and you went away. It is irrational to my question.

2016/9/21 21:19Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Savannah appears to be analogizing the taking of Advil for a headache with being baptized for the remission of sins.

2016/9/21 21:26Profile
savannah

Re:

Sorry John...I'll bow out now!

...but...I wasn't drunk! Just to clarify.

2016/9/21 21:26Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

TMK

Yeah, I could see where that was going but it wasn't not going to answer my question though it was going to sound good.

2016/9/21 21:37Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Baptism - is it 'for' or 'because of' the remission of sins?

From 1 Peter:{3:18} For Christ also hath once suffered for sins,
the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being
put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: {3:19}
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in
prison; {3:20} Which sometime were disobedient, when
once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah,
while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight
souls were saved by water. {3:21} The like figure
whereunto [even] baptism doth also now save us (not the
putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a
good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus
Christ: {3:22} Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right
hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made
subject unto him."

Without the shedding of blood, there is NO remission of sins, therefore baptism in itself cannot remit / cleanse sins, but it is a public statement of faith in the dead and risen Messiah, Jesus Christ and an identifying of the individual being baptized with the death and resurrection of Christ for sinners. "the answer of a good conscience to God"

Blessings,

2016/9/22 2:03Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

also, Paul said he did not baptize many, because he was called to preach the gospel, not to baptize. He was not saying baptism was not important, but secondary to the preaching of the gospel and having people believe and thereby be "saved" (regenerated)

If baptism was a priority or necessity for regeneration, would Paul (and the other apostles) not emphasized it more?

Blessings,

2016/9/22 2:07Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The NT pattern seems to be that baptism immediately followed conversion such that the two were almost synonymous. In other words if you professed Christ you were immediately baptized. I am not saying this happened every time but it seemed to be the accepted practice.

It is a bigger issue today because most churches have quarterly or less baptisms and people have to sign up and attend a class to be baptized so people put it off and it is not stressed as absolutely essential for a person professing Christ.

I don't believe baptism is required for salvation but nonetheless it is essential in my view and I would question the conversion of any person who does not want to be baptized or who puts it off. It was essential to Jesus who commanded that new believers be baptized so it should be essential for any professing believer.

2016/9/22 7:21Profile
Sree

Re:

Incidently I attended a Church Bible study last night because my daugther goes there for awana. There they discussed about Baptism and its significance. The preacher there said Baptism is not for salvation. I kind of agree with him.

But here is a word to balance it. John 3:5-5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

So being born of water is very important for entering the Kingdom of God. In my Church we do not allow those who have not taken baptism to break bread.

I believe when a person is genuinely born again they will go for water Baptism. If a person is still deciding on water Baptism then it means they are not fully born again.

I did not know the relationship between baptism and salvation when I took Baptism. But my only motive was to announce to the world that I am now going to live for Jesus. That was the day when I announced my Hindu parents that I am going to live as a Christian going forward. My persecution started from that day! My own parents and siblings started hating me.

2016/9/22 8:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy