SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Biblical cosmology

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread

Re:

In my opinion God can answer ANY question.
Science answers physical natural questions, but not spiritual ones. Plus science can be wrong, God can not be wrong. Which one is bigger?

2016/9/13 14:49

Re:

TMK you took my answer to heydave out of context and misunderstood it. The context was that creationinsts rely on bible account concerning evolution but do not rely on bible verses when discuss the universe.

2016/9/13 15:01
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I can prove the Earth is not flat with no fancy instruments, no agencies, no Ph.D.. Not one person, ship, plane, car, or vessel has ever sailed over the edge of it. Only a spherical object has the property that it can be continually travelled along its surface without reaching an edge. It is finite, and its surface may be traveled and the end of the surface may not be found. Has to be a sphere.

Now, does the Bible say so? Yes.

This also goes to the issue of why Toszu doesn't speed up when traveling from the north pole to the equator. The earth is hung on nothing, empty space. Job 26:7. The only way a surface of Earth's properties can be suspended in empty space is to be surrounded by empty space. That space hosts constellations, mazzaroth in Hebrew, Job 38:31, 32, which rotate in such fashion relative to our surface that no such movement visible to us is possible were we not on a spherical object.

There is no up or down in space. Approaching Earth from space, there is no up or down relative to its equatorial midline. Traveling along the surface of the earth does not produce a gravitational downward force because the equator is not "down" relative to the north. It is south, but it is not down.

2016/9/13 15:43Profile

Re:

Dolfan
According to the current model of FE it's a disc with the north pole in the center and an outer rim of ice wall on the South to keep the oceans in, and a land on the rim.
If a ship sails to the West while keeping its way constantly perpendicular to his compass showing North it will circumnavigate the FE without reaching an edge. Those who sail to the South will reach Antarctica and the huge ice walls which according to the model is on the edge.

Since the radius of the Earth is smaller in the north than at the Equator and both places travel around the Earth in one day the point at the Equator travels faster, so when I approach it from the North I should feel a speeding up.

According to current FE model the constellations and all the stars the sun and moon circle over FE. Up and down has a well defined meaning in scriptures, which is compatible with the FE model.

Edit I would like to correct: I said radius of the Earth smaller. Of course the radius of the earth is near the same everywhere, I meant the radius of the circular motion as the Earth spins.

2016/9/13 16:20
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote: "TMK you took my answer to heydave out of context and misunderstood it. The context was that creationinsts rely on bible account concerning evolution but do not rely on bible verses when discuss the universe."

I did not misunderstand. You are using the exceedingly sparse info in the Bible to try to explain the universe.

If the Bible is the end-all for all knowledge, we should not need any other science or math textbook. Why did Newton have to write Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy? Doesn't the Bible lay out all the principles and rules of classical mechanics? Why did he have to come up with Calculus? Doesn't the Bible explain differential equations? Doesn't it explain the nature of chemical reactions and the microanatomy of the human body?(of course these are rhetorical questions- it doesn't).

So my question stands: Why is it okay to have texts on mathematics, chemistry, physics, etc but the Bible is the only legitimate source for cosmology?

The idea of the earth being in essence a pie pan with Antartica forming the ridge of the pan is patently absurd- sorry to use such words but that is the truth.

2016/9/13 17:47Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Brothers and Sisters,

Though the possibility of a flat earth seems interesting, I would not put it past God. But overall we should not speculate on these things or focus but rather seek First the Kingdom of God. We also ask that repeated threads on this topic not be opened as it is not leading to mutual edification but rather alot of speculation, conspiracies etc.

We have many "sure" things to share and discuss from the Scriptures that will edify and grow us in our Spiritual Walks with the Lord.

We are locked this thread as enough has been considered on this topic.

2016/9/13 18:45Profile

Re:

Thanks dolfan for bringing up scriptures to talk about.

Quote:
The earth is hung on nothing, empty space. Job 26:7. The only way a surface of Earth's properties can be suspended in empty space is to be surrounded by empty space. That space hosts constellations, mazzaroth in Hebrew, Job 38:31, 32, which rotate in such fashion relative to our surface that no such movement visible to us is possible were we not on a spherical object.

Job 26:7King James Version (KJV)

7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

Job 38:31-32King James Version (KJV)

31 Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?

32 Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?

The surface of the Earth is surrounded by empty place. True. Over the surface of the earth there is air which in King James' time was called empty place. I think verse 7 is speaking about the firmament that is over the air, That's what is stretched out, why is it called North I am not sure. Perhaps because the stretching started in the middle (by FE model North is in the middle) "hangeth the earth upon nothing" The Bible says that the Earth hangs on nothing, but at other places it says that the earth has foundation and pillars. Could this mean that it is not supported from above (hang) but from below (fundation)?
Job 9:6-9King James Version (KJV)

6 Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.

7 Which commandeth the sun, and it riseth not; and sealeth up the stars.

8 Which alone spreadeth out the heavens, and treadeth upon the waves of the sea.

9 Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.

God created the constellations and orders their precise movement to show us times and dates.

Quote:
which rotate in such fashion relative to our surface that no such movement visible to us is possible were we not on a spherical object.

There is a way that they can circle over us: if they are in the firmament and it is possible to see them not only from a spherical object.

Genesis 1:14-15King James Version (KJV)

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

There is no indication here that there is a vast depth of space spotted with stars billions and billions of light years away, nor that the Earth is a sphere or that it moves.
How about the 6 days anyway if a star was created on the first week but we can not see it just billions and billions of light years later? This is not indicated in the text.

2016/9/13 20:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy