SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can believers do greater works than Jesus did?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Can believers do greater works than Jesus did?

In modern times, among believers, there is an ever increasing number of arguments and teachings, according to which believers would be capable of doing qualitatively greater works than the Lord Jesus did. When we study this in regard to what the Bible in full says and witnesses about this topic, we can see that the disciples of the Lord Jesus are not capable of doing greater works, i.e. greater in power (the Holy Spirit) than what Jesus did. Instead, the word "greater" refers to powerful works that are done through the Holy Spirit and that are greater in number and done by a bigger number of people. Spend time in prayer and compare the present text to what the Bible teaches us.

More info: http://www.kotipetripaavola.com/canbelieversdogreaterworksthanjesusdid.html

2016/9/6 2:46
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Can believers do greater works than Jesus did?

Quote:
John 14:12-14 Greek Interlinear
Believe me that I [am] in the Father and the Father in me if but not because of the works themselves believe.

Truly truly I say to you The [one] believing on me the works <2041> that I do also he will do and greater than <3187> these he will do because I to the Father am going.

And whatever anyhow you might ask in the name of me this will I do that might be glorified the Father in the in the Son.

If anything you ask me in the name of me I will do [it].

You tend to have a lot of people in your camp but quoting Strongs 3187 shows greater, larger, and stronger. What does that mean except greater, larger, and stronger?

Are you trying to talk yourself out of it? ;)

2041 ἔργον ergon er’-gon
from a primary (but obsolete) ergo (to work); n n; TDNT-2:635,251; {See TDNT 254 }
AV-work 152, deed 22, doing 1, labour 1; 176
1) business, employment, that which any one is occupied
1a) that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking
2) any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind
3) an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

3187 μείζων meizon mide’-zone
irregular comparative of 3173; adj comparative;
AV-greater 34, greatest 9, elder 1, more 1; 45
1) greater, larger, elder, stronger

God bless,
Lisa

2016/9/6 8:44Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree with Lisa.

You have to take the statement of Jesus at face value and deal with it. The way not to deal with it is to change what He said.

In addition, to the extent that we are NOT doing greater works than Jesus, the fault is ours, not His.

2016/9/6 8:54Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Jesus was at one place at one time. He raised the dead, healed the sick, cast out demons, comforted the hurting, operate in the 9 gifts of the Spirit etc.. But He could only do that where He was presently located. And, there was one of Him.

The context, and I think main point, behind these verses is not the "things" that Jesus did. What other things are there. We are to raise the dead, heal the sick, cast out demons, comfort the hurting, operate in the 9 gifts of the Spirit etc.. The crux of the matter in these scriptures is the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Now we have millions of people around the globe who have been indued with the same power that raised Christ from the dead, the power of the Holy Spirit. So we can now do all of these things, empowered and led by the Holy Spirit, just like Christ did them.

So we, the church and members in particular, are now doing much greater things. When Jesus was on earth, He was the only one on earth that would qualify as being "filled with the Spirit" with the exception of John the Baptist. Yet now we can all be filled with the Spirit and walk in the same anointing that Jesus walked in. He was anointed of the Holy Spirit, now we are anointed of the Holy Spirit. Jesus made this very clear throughout His recorded teachings in the book of John.

2016/9/6 11:49Profile

Re:

Yes! Jesus doesn't lie.

2016/9/6 11:55
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Of course, as a believer who was initially exposed to Charismatic/ Pentecostal teachers, this is a passage of scripture we heard a lot and as Spirit filled children of God who desired to do exploits in Jesus Name, very appealing to our idea of greatness...

So...
1. What are these greater works?
2. How do we work them?

Asked sincerely.

Blessings,

2016/9/6 12:13Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

William: I have also seen believers who hoped to do exploits in the name of Jesus, but their real heart's motive was to bring attention to themselves and make themselves appear great or super-spiritual. But a man with a wrong motive, in my opinion, does not negate the real power of the Holy Spirit.

1. The greater works are nothing different than the works that Jesus did. How can we do greater than the things that Jesus did? But the greater works are found in the fact that the church, as a body of believers under the headship of Christ, can do much more than Jesus ever did. He was bound to one place at one time while on earth. The Holy Spirit in the life of the believer is no bound to one place or to one time.

2. How? There is only one way. Jesus was called "Christ" because He was anointed by the Holy Spirit of God. Remember his first teaching in the synagogue. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because He hath anointed me to....
When He ascended, He sent the Holy Spirit. In the book of John, Jesus teaches us that the Holy Spirit was going to be sent to anoint us in the same way Jesus was anointed. Jesus told us He did nothing of His own power, but rather by the power of the Holy Spirit. In like manner, we can do absolutely nothing of our own power. We can only do what the Lord tells us to do and only in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Our motive is much more important than anything we do. Pride and self-exaltation is not determined by the subject matter of our belief. Charismatics or conservatives, Full Gospel / Pentecostal or cessationalists, the heart of man is the same. Some will hope to be the biggest fish in whatever pond they find themselves. I have seen men who became exalted in pride because they had a deeper intellectual understanding of the word in their opinion than others around them. Same pride, different package.

2016/9/6 13:07Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

From the Commentary of John Gill. To bring another perspective. I do not necessarily agree but feel it is fair to broaden the scope of understanding

John 14:12
Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me,
&c.] Having mentioned his miracles as proofs of his deity, he assures his disciples, in order to comfort them under the loss of his bodily presence, that they should do the same, and greater works; for we are not to understand these words of everyone that believes in Christ, of every private believer in him, but only of the apostles, and each of them, that were true believers in him: to whom he says,

the works that I do shall he do also;
he shall raise the dead, heal all manner of diseases, and cast out devils; things which Christ gave his apostles power to do, when he first gave them a commission to preach the Gospel, and when he renewed and enlarged it: and which they did perform, not in their own name, and by their own power, but in the name, and by the power of Christ:

and greater works than these shall he do;
meaning, not greater in nature and kind, but more in number; for the apostles, in a long series of time, and course of years, went about preaching the Gospel, not in Judea only, but in all the world; "God also bearing them witness with signs and wonders, and divers miracles and gifts of the Holy Ghost", ( Hebrews 2:4 ) , wherever they went: though perhaps by these greater works may be meant the many instances of conversion, which the apostles were instrumental in, and which were more in number than those which were under our Lord's personal ministry: besides, the conversion of a sinner is a greater work than any of the miracles of raising the dead for this includes in it all miracles: here we may see a sinner, dead in trespasses and sins, quickened; one born blind made to see; one who was deaf to the threatenings of the law, and to the charming voice of the Gospel, made to hear, so as to live; and one that had the spreading leprosy of sin all over him, cleansed from it by the blood of the Lamb yea, though a miracle in nature is an instance and proof of divine power, yet the conversion of a sinner, which is a miracle in grace, is not only an instance of the power of God, and of the greatness of it, but of the exceeding greatness of it: and the rather one may be induced to give in to this sense of the passage, since it is added, as a reason,

because I go to my Father;
and upon my ascension the Spirit will be given, to you, which shall not only enable you to perform miracles, as proofs of your apostleship, and the doctrine you preach, but which shall powerfully attend the Gospel to the conversion of multitudes of souls.

2016/9/6 14:02Profile

Many people say that when God does - through us - greater works than Jesus did, it is God who does the greater works than we, and therefore we are capable of doing greater works than Jesus because God does the works through us. This argument, too, is proven wrong by the truth manifested in the Bible.

The Bible teaches us that Jesus did not do anything by His own power. Instead, Father God did all the works through Him, and Jesus' prayers were heard because of His fear (respect) of God, and Jesus learned obedience from His suffering. Because Jesus was obedient to the Father, the Father did the Father's works through Jesus. If someone believes that he or she is capable of doing greater works than Jesus, they also declare - often unknowingly and due to their lack of understanding - that they are more obedient than Jesus and that their faith and confidence in God is greater than that of Jesus. God does God's works through faith and obedience, and if someone believes that they are capable of doing works that are greater than those by Jesus, they place themselves in a position where they would be more obedient than Jesus and where their faith and confidence in God would be greater than those of Jesus; God does God's works through faith and obedience created by God.

Not a single believer cannot have greater faith than Jesus had, and not a single believer can have greater confidence in God than Jesus had, and not a single believer can be more obedient than Jesus, and not a single believer can have faith that is greater than God (Jesus). Works of faith are works that take place through faith, and the truth is clear as day; not a single believer can have greater faith than Our Lord Jesus Christ. In regard to everything mentioned above, and to the truth shared with us through the Bible in full, it is evident that greater works cannot be greater in regard to quality (greater in power), but greater in number because not a single believer can have greater faith and obedience than Jesus. Some believers may have naively believed the false teaching of works greater than those by Jesus because they have relied on their own wisdom when reading about this subject in the Bible, only focusing on one verse, and have not read the Bible spiritually and compared the verse to what the Bible in full teaches about this subject.

The false teaching of us being capable of doing greater works than Jesus paves the way for the activity of a spirit of deceit because the goal of the teaching is to aim for works that are greater in power (qualitatively greater) than those done by Jesus, and because that is not possible, and when people try to do that, they have entered a zone where the spirits of deceit work miracles and wonders through the force of deceit. Naive young believers, or old believers, too, can be deceived by this lie. However, if they do not repent of it, the force of impact will change from the power of God to the power a spirit of deceit, and I can already see this happening in an activity where those involved stubbornly continue to believe this horrible false doctrine.

2016/9/6 15:23
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Petri-

What is your position in regard to a Christian praying for the miraculous?

What if a person feels moved by the Holy Spirit to pray for a lame person to walk? Is it your position they should not do so?

If you say they should, then I am not sure what the point of your posts are.

If you say they should not, then I disagree most strongly.

2016/9/6 15:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy