Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Revival in the Hebrides

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Revival in the Hebrides

Excerpt from a Duncan Campbell sermon given in 1968:

"...I couldn't tell you how many--I never checked the number. I was afraid to do that always remembering what David did. I left the records with God. But this I know, that at least 75% of those who were born again during the revival were born again before they came near a church. Before they had any word from me or any of the other ministers. I can think just now of a certain village--the village of Weaver--and there was a row of cottages by the roadside. There were seven of them altogether. And in every cottage a loom and a weaver. One morning, just as the men were being called for breakfast, it was discovered that the seven of them were lying prostrate behind their looms. Lying on their faces behind their looms and all of them in a trance. Now I can't explain this. But of this I am certain that this was of God because the seven men were saved that day.

Now, I should say six of them were saved that day, one of them on the following day. But they came to understand that something supernatural had taken possession of them. An awareness for God gripped them, and a hunger possessed them and they cried out to God for mercy. And God swept in. I was visiting them recently--I happened to be up in the Hebrides--and what a joy it was to listen to them tell again of that wonderful experience when God swept into the seven houses. My dear people, that's revival. I mean, it is so different from our special efforts. So apart altogether from man's best endeavor. God is in the middle and miracles happen.

Now perhaps I should go into some of the features that characterized this remarkable movement. Well, already I have mentioned to you that men were found in trances. Perhaps I should say this that in the Lewis revival we never saw anybody healed, that wasn't a feature of it. We never heard anybody speaking in tongues--in a strange language. Personally, I never heard anybody speak in tongues until a year or two ago. And that was in England. We knew nothing whatsoever about such manifestations. Don't misunderstand me--I believe in every gift mentioned in the word of God but it wasn't God's plan or purpose that we should be visited in that way and we weren't...

I think just now of a certain island.....I am on this island, and I felt the going fearfully hard. Oh, it was difficult to preach--you felt your very words coming back and hitting you. And I was a bit distressed. I turned to one of the other ministers and I said, "Now don't you think that we should send for the praying men of Barvas?" Let me say in passing that the praying men of Barvas were praying for us just now, there were at least five of them in this part of God's vineyard who promised to do that and I believe they were keeping to their promise. However, I sent for them and in the conversation that I had with this businessman, one of the praying men, I said, "If it is at all possible will you bring little Donald Mc_____." Now I will tell you later how Donald came to know the Lord. But bring him.

Now Donald had a remarkable experience on the hillside a fortnight after he was born again. And God came upon him--the Holy Ghost came upon him. He had a mighty baptism. I hope you believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost as a distinct experience. You may disagree, but I believe in it. I don't think that I am preaching one set of doctrine that insists upon gifts. I am not thinking of that at all because I believe that the baptism of the Holy Ghost in its final analysis is just the revelation of Jesus. It is Jesus becoming real-wonderful, powerful, and dynamic in my life. And He expressing Himself through my personality. That is the baptism of the Holy Ghost that I believe in. Not that I disbelieve in anything. Of course I don't. Some of my dearest friends are among those who exercise the gifts. But that, by the way, this young fellow had such a baptism of God among the heather, that he forgot about coming home and a search party had to be sent out to find him in the hills. And they found him on his face among the heather repeating over and over, "Oh, Jesus, I love You. Oh, Jesus I love You." And wasn't he near to Jesus if he spoke like that? He was, of course.

Well, I asked the men to bring little Donald with them. And now we are in the service in the church. And I am preaching from the text, "Who is this that cometh from Edom . . . this that is glorious in his apparel traveling in the greatness of his strength. I that speak in righteousness am mighty to save" that was the text. But oh, I tell you, the going was hard. The going was hard. I looked down and I saw little Donald sitting there in the seat. And I saw that his head was bowed and I saw that the floor was wet with his tears. And I said to myself, "Well, now, there is a young lad nearer to God that you or I. Oh, there is a young lad who is in touch with God." And I stopped preaching. And looking down at this young lad, I said, "Donald, I believe God would have you lead us in prayer. " It was right in the midst of my address. And that young lad stood to his feet.

Now that morning at family worship they were reading Rev 4 where John has the vision of the open door. "I saw a door opened in heaven." And as that young man stood, that vision came before him. And this is what he said in his prayers. "God, I seem to be gazing in through the open door. And I seem to see the Lamb standing in the midst of the Throne. He has the keys of death and of hell at his girdle(?)." Then he stopped and began to weep. And for a minute or so he wept and he wept. Oh, the brokenness. And when he was able to control himself, he lifted his eyes towards the heavens and he cried out, "God, there is power there-let it loose! Let it loose!"

And suddenly, the power of God fell upon the congregation. Of course in Lewis and in other islands of the Hebrides, they stand to pray, they sit to sing. And now, one side of the church threw their hands up like this. Threw their heads back and you would almost declare that they were in an epileptic fit, but they were not. Oh, I can't explain it. And the other side they slumped on top of each other. But God, the Holy Ghost moved. Those who had their hands like this stayed that way for two hours. Now you try to remain like that with your hands up for a few minutes and you will find it hard-but you would break their hands before you could take them down. Now, I can't explain it-this is what happened.

But the most remarkable thing that night was what took place in a village seven miles away from the church. There wasn't a single person from that village in the church. Not one single person. Seven miles away, it was a while away certainly but while Donald Mc_____ was praying, the power of God swept through __________, that's the name of the village. Swept through the village and I know it to be a fact that there wasn't a single house in the village that hadn't a soul saved in it. Not a single house in the village.

A schoolmaster that night looking over his papers 15 miles away from this island on the mainland suddenly was gripped by the fear of God. And he said to his wife, "Wife, I don't know what's drawing me to Barvas, but I must go." His wife said, "But it's nearly 10 o'clock and you're thinking of going to Barvas. I know what's on your mind, I know that you are going out to drink and you are not leaving this house tonight!" That was what she said to him--he was a hard drinker. And he said to his wife, "I may be mistaken, oh, I maybe mistaken, but if I know anything at all about my own heart and mind, I think I say to you now that drink will never touch my lips again." And she said to him, "Well, John, if that's your mind, then go to Barvas."

And he got someone to take him to the ferry, someone to ferry him across, and I was conducting a meeting in a farmhouse at midnight and this schoolmaster came to the door and they made room for him and in a matter of minutes he was praising God for salvation. Now that's miracle. I mean you cannot explain it in any other way. A father, a mother and two daughters and a son were saved that night in this village but one of the daughters who was in the medical profession was in London. She was in London. A very clever girl. She is walking down Oxford Street after leaving a patient and she is suddenly arrested by the power of God. She went into a closet(?) and cried to God for mercy and God saved her there-the whole family saved! My dear people, these are facts. And I tell you of them to honor God..."

2016/8/31 12:53Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Revival in the Hebrides

Oh yes! Will we pay the price and draw near to God until He sends down the fire?

2016/8/31 15:41Profile
Theophila

Oh Lord!

2016/8/31 20:30Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Here is a free PDF of a Duncan Campbell anthology that includes the complete transcript of the sermon quoted here.

http://www.kraushousedigital.com/#!library/dcqoy

The MP3 is here on SI under the title "Revival on the Isle of Lewis." It includes a closing prayer by old Ravenhill, who was travelling thru the states with Campbell.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=7&min=0&orderby=titleA&show=20

2016/8/31 22:34Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

I believe Duncan Campbell held back from putting an emphasis on the signs that happened in the revival. He never shared all of the stories. Becuse he knew mens hearts would follow a sign. Instead of truly living for Christ the way the Lord wanted.

But the stories he told were to convince the hearer that the revival was Gods sovereign work.

2016/9/1 5:44Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Thank you sister for posting this amazing testimony by Duncan Campbell on the Hebrides Revival.

This is why we pray for revival in our cities, states, nation, and throughout the world.

When there is an open heaven, and the glory of God comes down, sinners are saved, backsliders come home, and the Church is revived.

2016/9/1 9:03Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Cannot wait Mike!

...but I know before that can happen at least a remnant of believers must take these things really seriously, repent before God on their own behalf and on behalf of the church they serve and consistently and fervently seek His face in prayer.

Revive Your people, Lord, and let it begin in me, so that I can declare Your salvation!

2016/9/1 9:09Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"...but I know before that can happen at least a remnant of believers must take these things really seriously, repent before God on their own behalf and on behalf of the church they serve and consistently and fervently seek His face in prayer."

William, it will be by a remnant praying, fasting, and repenting on behalf of the Church for revival to come. God sets the conditions, and the Word of God is clear about this.

There are some on this forum that do not believe that there will be another revival.

There are others that believe that persecution will bring in the revival. God can certainly use the persecution and the hard times that will be coming to this nation to bring the revival. But it is the work of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of men that brings conviction and causes men to repent.

Revival has to begin in the remnant, but if God can use two elderly sisters in their eighties, and seven men praying in a barn to bring down the glory in the Hebrides, the Lord can certainly use just a few saints that have a spirit of intercession and travail to bring down a heaven sent revival.

2016/9/1 14:18Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Amen!

The Lord is coming back for a spotless and glorious bride and there is still work to be done.
We are waiting for Him to come and He is waiting for us to go!

Lord, help us to SEE in these final days!
Break us, melt us!
Whatever it takes Lord...it will be worth it!

Let the Lamb receive His reward!

2016/9/1 15:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy