Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : To know Him

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

To know Him

The bible has a fair amount to say about "knowing Him" and the perils of not...
Allot of people debate allot of things concerning the scriptures, some are more doctrinally focused, others eschatologically so, while for others theological issues take precedence, or even your church or service in your local area. For others still it's fixing things and people that seems to get their attention.

Allot of people know "about Him" and argue allot of what they think they know,...
Some have even met Him and spent time in His presence...

But knowing Him (the one true and living God) is the basis of all true Christian faith.

So what does "knowing Him" mean to you?

2016/8/22 7:08Profile

Re: To know Him

That's good & an excellent question bro!

To know Him is to love Him. To walk with Him. To be filled with His Spirit. To be intimately acquainted with him even as, but more so, a man "knows" His wife through intimate Union with her. To "partake of the divine nature" & to experience the presence of God & the ever-present in-dwelling Christ so that we walk with Him in the garden of our lives in the cool of the day, speaking with Him, listening to Him, among those that are the "as many are as being led by Him, they are the sons of God." To have a heart that so loves and desires Him that we long not just to "know what He knows", but to "feel what He feels". That our desire that the things that move Him are the the things that move us. That our heart longs for what His heart longs for & breaks for what His breaks for. That our longing desire is to ever increasingly "walk as He did on the earth" & grow into His love for others. His compassion and Grace & mercy. That we would desire to truly be filled with the fruits of His Spirit which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control. That we wouldn't be slack in our learning or teaching of His Word & doctrine, but also that we wouldn't just be "mental" & theoretically about the life of Jesus, but that it would actually be flowing from us - rivers of living water. That we would see and acknowledge that in the same way that He was a man of sorrows, that we would also be willing to be like Him & be broken, maligned, misunderstood & spoken ill of, & be willing to endure & even receive it at His hand with joy. That we would see how meek & humble was the Lamb of God & desire to be changed into that same image & desire loneliness, meekness, & humility just as He, considering others before and better than ourselves. And that our concerns would be His concerns. Bringing the Lost into the fold. Acting as responsible "under-shepherds" At the direction of the Great Shephard & Going out to seek and save the lost, rescue the 1 lost sheep, & protect the flock from wolves at all cost. That our earnest desire would be to walk with & worship Him in Spirit & in Truth. And not to just "know about Him" as I do some historical president or some figure of renown in the earth, but that I would truly KNOW Him intimately as I KNOW my wife, even as He knows me (or at least as far in that direction as I can seek Him in these things and grow in my knowing of Him this side of eternity - when as I Corinthians 13 says we will see Him face to face & know fully even as we are fully known). I could say a million more things, but these all pretty much just flowed off the top of my heart fresh out of the prayer closet & worship this morning! 😊 To "Know Him" truly is to Love Him, Obey Him, & to seek to "Know Him More"!
God Bless,
Jeff

2016/8/22 8:02
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Amen!

Enjoyed that very much:)

I don't feel compelled to start threads very often but the Lord woke me up early this mornin and as we spent time together I really felt compelled to start this one so we could all share and benefit from one another's "knowing" as it's the basis of all our faith:)

2016/8/22 9:45Profile

Re:

Amen, that's good!

Me too actually (woke me up early this morning). Woke up a couple times (2-yr old got in bed with us & the baby is stuffy - normal stuff), but at 4:30 am I knew the Lord was not letting me return to sleep to get up & spend time alone with Him! Love those times. Just praying I get through the day without falling over after getting 4.5 hrs of sleep. At 20 (or even 30) I could Go totally without sleep. Now past 40, I don't hold up as well through the day. 😊 But if His grace is sufficient for people with real challenges, it's certainly sufficient for me and my small stuff like limited rest. 👍
God Bless,
Jeff

2016/8/22 9:52
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Ha! Yes dear brother:)
When that happens it's like He gives me a gift of having to rely upon Him for the strength to make it through the day and I've found its those days that He shines brightest in me cause I'm not trying to do it for Him;)

You kno, even Jesus struggled physically and needed help carrying the cross,... I've always wondered what that symbolizes and never really heard that word opened up... Would seem important tho'- but maybe that deserves its own thread~

2016/8/22 10:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I know Jesus has my back; he is always for me and never against me. The way is easier yoked with Him than without Him. When my zeal fades he is always pursuing, never letting go. I know I do not deserve to be in His presence but He sits beside me, puts His arm around my shoulder and says "everything is ok." I know everything is not ok but am encouraged to press in more, to know Him more and to be more like Him.

I had a dream one time- one of a few that I absolutely knew was from the Lord- where I was looking at the words to a worship song on a sheet of music. The words and tune were so wonderful and beyond my understanding that I could not read any of the words- except for one and it was the word "Eden." The whole atmosphere of the dream was utter joy to the point that when I awoke I was trembling.

I related the dream to a dear brother who I consider "prophetic" and he reminded me that "Eden" means "delight". I had known this at one time but had forgotten it. From that day on I have realized that Jesus is delighted in me, which is of course humbling and just makes me want to go after Him more.

But He is not my "buddy"- He is the Lord. As Mr beaver explains in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe: "'course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

2016/8/22 11:12Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Good stuff brother!
Thanks for that:))

2016/8/22 11:30Profile
Elibeth

Re: To know Him

Dear Brother,

TO KNOW HIM !

What a wonderful Word and thought, you have brought to us to think on
this day.

To know Him is life eternal

Thinking on this as I worked today I thought about ..
..to SEE Him,...through The Spirit

To put His yoke upon you / me and 'learn' of Him.

I so ,would love to continue more,but am so tired tonight.

Bless you Fletcher,
------------
elizabeth

2016/8/22 23:48Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: sister Elizabeth

I woke up this morning thinking of the last chapter in Job... Specifically 42:5-6
And how Job thought he knew Him but after "seeing" Him everything changed and Job repented....

Then I read your words about seeing Him and couldn't help but smile:)

Blessings

2016/8/23 9:07Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

...to Know Him relates also to John 4 where Jesus said: "they that worship Him must worship (serve) Him in spirit (Spirit) and truth (reality)"
This indicates a couple of things.
We will relate to God in our spirits by the Holy Spirit indwelling our spirits and thus communicating to our spirits the truth of God in real experience, not simply head knowledge.
We will experience and know the very presence of God within us!
As a brother previously indicated, it is a union of spirits such as is found in the oneness of husband and wife, the most intimate union possible.
"He who confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, will find that God lives in Him and He in God!"
"By this we know that God lives in us, by His Spirit Whom He has given us"

Blessings,

2016/8/23 9:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy