SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : New Ben Hur Movie

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
dfella

Canton, Michigan

New Ben Hur Movie

Brethren:

I was wondering if anyone was planning on seeing the new movie Ben Hur? I have seen the original to many times to count to be honest and it still brings tears to my eyes.

I never go to the theater unless it is a faith based movie and not necessarily anything that comes from Hollywood. This is a Paramount production which is not a Christian company as far as I know.

So when I first heard about this movie as it keeps popping up on the computer I thought, I love this movie and it would be neat to see on a big screen.

However my hopes were dashed when I found out that Morgan Freeman is acting in this movie as I understand that he is a professing atheist.

Should that make a difference? I bring this up because of a recent article in the Christian Post.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ben-hur-actor-jack-huston-reveals-scene-that-left-lasting-impact-on-him-interview-168050/[email protected]

I don't watch very many movies at all but keep buying them at the Christian bookstore as they have monthly $5 specials and sell DVD's of Christian movies at Family Christian.

My wife keeps asking me why I keep buying them and never watch them! I do buy one's I have seen and really like, like Facing the Giants, Flywheel, War Room, Fireproof, Courageous and give them away like bible tracts to people I know who are not saved. These particular movies have made an impact on many in my family as well as friends.

Last movie I saw was War Room, we had a wonderful time witnessing and sharing with other believers we never met. It was like being at church to be honest.

I believe if God can use a donkey to speak to the rebellious he can use these movies as well.

Rambling.....

2016/8/20 13:55Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: New Ben Hur Movie

The original Ben Hur is one of my top 5 movies- easy. And if you have never read the book, I highly recommend it. The first part in the book about the Magi is fantastic.

One thing I have learned about movies that have a faith side is that you really cant trust websites like Rotten Tomatoes because critics generally trash them, while the audience ratings are generally much higher.

I am a tad trepidatious about seeing it because I like the original so much. The scene where Jesus gives him a drink of water and then stares down the Roman soldier who told him to stop is so powerful! And I really like how they never show Jesus' face.

The trailers I have seen on TV for the new one seem to focus solely on the action, but my wife was reading about it and there is definitely a faith side to it like the original.

So we will likely go see it. I don't expect the acting and overall quality of the film to be as good as the original (the original won numerous Oscars) but it could be worthwhile.

2016/8/20 16:33Profile

Re: New Ben Hur Movie

I thought about checking it out too. I have seen the animated one with Heston's voice more than anything (my kids love it). I thought I'd wait and read the "PluggedInOnline" review. Probably wait till it goes to ITunes so we could watch at will at home. If you do see it, let me know what you think.

If you like faith based movies, you should see a few of Rich Cristiano's films. Time Changers (excellent story/theme), The secrets of Jonathan Sperry, & my favorite, "Amazing Love". Amazing love is a modern story that weaves in the Biblical story of Hosea, the prophet. Phenomenally done on site in the Galillee region of Israel. The Bible parts are amazing IMHO. And the PureFlix rendition of Daniel is second to none & is done as well as any Hollywood production IMHO.

God Bless,
Jeff

2016/8/20 16:48
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

Thanks Brothers I do appreciate the thoughts on this very much. I will keep in prayer and if I go, I really like for my wife to see a good movie with a good message.

We usually go with a few people and then go out to eat or come home to eat together and discuss the film, likes dislikes, etc..

Thanks for the heads up on those other films Jeff, I am amassing quite a library of Christian films, who knows, one day they might come in handy.

BD

2016/8/20 17:18Profile
forrests

Re:

Would you brothers consider the makers of this movie to be "the world"? And if so, wouldn't consuming and enjoying the world's entertainment (/propaganda) be considered "friendship" with it (in general)?

If not, what do you believe "friendship with the world" is/looks like?

2016/8/20 19:03Profile

Re:

Actually, the makers of the movie are Mark Burnett & Roma Downey. We can have a discussion on whether they typically come from or breed a "watered down" version of Christianity, but they aren't atheistic pagan heathens - FYI.

2016/8/20 19:16
forrests

Re: "watered down Christianity"

I would argue that much of Christendom (especially "watered down Christianity") is made up of "atheistic pagan heathens."

Also, by "makers of this movie" I mean a lot more than the producers/directors. They didn't personally fund this movie did they?

2016/8/20 19:31Profile

Re:

You know you have "friendship with the world", when it becomes an idol in your heart.

Then it displaces the Lord. An act such as going to an amusement park or a movie does not necessarily mean you have an idol in your heart displacing the Lord.

2016/8/20 19:55
forrests

Re: Friendship with the world

Julius,
On what grounds do you equate "friendship" (philia) with "idolatry" (which is referred to as whoredom/harlotry and adultry in scripture)?

The scripture says that if you wish to be a friend (philos - friendly, a friend, or an associate) of the world you make yourself an enemy of God.

He does call them adulterers for this friendship, but it seems to me to be in the same sense that I would be an adulterer if I was befriending another woman that would rival my wife. I may not have committed adultery with my body yet, but (in this hypothetical) I have done so in my heart already.

2016/8/20 20:35Profile
forrests

Re: Mark Burnett and Roma Downey

Just google: "Mark Burnett Roma Downey New Age"

I found this so far: https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepropheticnews.com/2014/02/07/beware-of-roma-downey-and-mark-burnetts-other-jesus/amp/?

Edit, add this link (which is very well written,
apparently very well researched and supported with many links - I recommend this one): http://www.aaronhill.org/touched-by-a-cult-the-beliefs-of-roma-downey/

2016/8/20 20:37Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy