SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is it wrong to kill an animal when you don't need to?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Or kill an animal that is going to kill you or your livestock. What about animals damaging your crops?

2016/8/19 15:57
dohzman

:)

That's a loaded question.

2016/8/19 16:17Profile
forrests

Re: Amen, TMK

Quote:
Jesus ate fish and probably lamb but he would not have starved to death if he did not eat it. He could have been a vegan.

Very insightful. Thanks.

2016/8/19 17:35Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Ok, I'll use the word need like this:

Need in terms of if you don't then you'll die or your health will be affected.

i.e. I need to breath air (oxygen).

So let me ask this question of you. Do you eat animals that others have killed, like frozen chicken from Wal-Mart or a burger from Wendy's?

I look at it this way. I need protein in my diet. Animals provide a pretty good source of this protein. So I kill and eat animals. Deer provides an extremely healthy, red meat. A very good part of my red meat comes via my rifle and is processed by my wife and I. I am blessed to live in a state that has managed deer herds well and we have a very good harvest each year. I can legally kill three in the area in which I live, and I try very hard to do just that.

But then we have choices based on taste. I love fresh fish, and when I am at the creek I like to have a meal or two that I catch myself. It is extremely good tasting food and fish is good for me. I guess I don't need to catch and eat those fish, but I sure like to.

When Moses came off the ark, God told him this, "Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things."

Under the law, God refined this permission by specifying that some moving things were clean animals, and some were not. The children of Israel could only eat clean animals.

Under the covenant of grace, we are not bound by those dietary laws. So once again, the bass, the deer, and the crawfish are given to me for meat. I guess I can choose what part of that buffet I am hungry for and eat. It is necessary in the sense that I need a good balanced diet to live.

I also believe that we need to manage the populations of some animals, and that killing some of them is the way that has to be done. I have a friend in the panhandle of OK that has a prairie dog problem. They are so overpopulated that they create a huge problem for cattle farmers. When I am out there, we have been known to go prairie dog shooting for the sake of thinning out the population so that they do not overpopulate. I personally don't have a moral issue with that. However, we are serving a purpose in our actions rather than just killing for the sake of killing. And it increases our accuracy in other forms of hunting in the process, which helps us in our harvest of food for the family.

Just my thoughts.

2016/8/20 17:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Good thoughts Travis. My son in law shoots squirrels n his backyard that chew on his deck and try to get into the attic of his house. They are pretty scrawny grey squirrels and they don't eat them, but essentially do it to protect their property. I don't have a problem with that at all.

2016/8/20 17:43Profile

Re:

The author probably meant to ask if it is wrong to kill animals for sport.

There are clearly many reasons men need to kill animals. Sport is considered a desire and not a need.

2016/8/20 18:30
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Tim, I would add snakes to this list...and roaches, and white flies, and rats and ....

2016/8/20 23:11Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Julius: Maybe so. Perhaps he will clarify.

But in that case, I would say that it would not be wise stewardship of the resources God has given us. Sin? Not sure that I could say yes or no. Poor stewardship? Definitely.

It is hard to judge motive. I had a person I did not know give me a deer that blessed me with food. He killed it for the head and antlers. He was a horn hunter so to speak, wanted the mount displayed on his wall for bragging rights. But he donated the meat to me. He was killing for sport I guess, but he made sure the meat was eaten by someone who would benefit. I even see a big difference between that and a guy who kills an animal for the sole purpose of mounting it as a display piece. Killing for the sake of killing, to me, says something negative about the man's character. But there is no clear scripture on this except our calling to be a good steward of what God has given us.

2016/8/21 19:03Profile

Re:

Hi twayneb,

My wife has a family member who owns 2 ranches in West Texas of 10,000 acres each. Twice a year he rents a crew that flies around in a helicopter and they shoot and kill wild hogs (epidemic in Texas) and leave them where they are shot. Other animals/birds feed on their carcasses. Did you know wild hogs will attack, kill and eat young calves? There is nothing they won't eat.

In one night a herd can destroy crop lands, rivers, roads, etc, etc.

By the way, what scripture are you referencing about being a good steward with regards to animals?

2016/8/21 19:14
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

They are a problem in southern missouri as well.

2016/8/21 19:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy