SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the witness of the Spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Many thanks for all of your thoughtful replies and personal reflections.

My follow up question is as follows -

What would your counsel be to a believer who cannot perceive the witness of the Spirit in his life?

2016/8/18 19:19
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Are you talking about a believer who is not sure if they are "saved?"

I am not 100% sure what you mean by the term "witness of the Spirit."

2016/8/18 20:34Profile
Keswickr

Re:

When I perceive the witness of the Holy Spirit I have a sense of clarity that brings forth a truth of some kind. It's like the smoke is cleared and the clouds are lifted and you can "see". At times it's just a simple truth that is usually clouded by layers of theology or human intellect. Sometimes this truth is connected or exemplified through other scriptures and like a puzzle scriptures becomes extremely "relative" to one another and unfolds. Sometimes my eyes are opened to myself as to how I may be hindering my growth.

One time when I was just a baby in Christ I was frustrated as to what His will was for me. I searched and prayed but I wasn't getting any answers. I told the Lord that if He didn't enlighten me I was going to quit searching. The next day I'm driving to work and I get behind a car who had a license plate that said "B Clay". So I start pondering the persons first name....is it Bruce, Barb etc... Then it seemed something hit me upside the head and said "look again!" Then I knew the Lord was telling me to "be clay". Here I was looking for specifics and wanting it all laid out for me and He gently gave me a simple instruction. If I'm not stubborn but malleable He will shape me first and THEN He will show me His will. Anyway, that was over a decade ago and I still struggle to be the "clay" that He can form. But He is still faithful to help me along as I limp.

I don't know if this is the example of "witness" but it's an interaction of us and the Holy Spirit. So for what it's worth...

2016/8/18 22:17Profile
forrests

Re: A Believer unsure about the witness of the Spirit

I watched this (and the following one) and I think it would be a good place to start: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=3040

But I would tell him to seek God to give him this witness and not to stop short at the witness of man (for the witness of God is greater). One he hears from heaven, that will be an enduring word and peace and hope and security - it is the only truly safe way to go.

2016/8/18 22:27Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother Rich

Ha!
That's good stuff bro!
Can def relate to that and appreciate you sharing-

Brother Jon,
That's not an easy answer (for me) as it's like describing blue to a person who has never seen it...
Having said that, my experience has been a very subtle and yet quietly overwhelming affirmation of His preeminate position in me, in which I experience a profound peace and yet am super energized, fully awakened to His presence and purpose. Often (for me) it's when I have felt compelled by His love to act in faith that this happens. Like I believe He's present, and believe that He wants me to say or do a thing but until I do or say it, it's not confirmed... tho as soon as I do then He bares witness of Himself in it/me.
He (witness of the Spirit) is the substance of our faith. Like we can't "really" know Him till we step out in faith to meet Him because that's "where" He bares witness of Himself to us and in us, if that makes sense. Faith is the "place" so to speak that we fellowship. That's why it's by faith that we please Him-
Also there are times when someone will speak to us or like bro Rich stated we will see something that speaks to us and you just know that it's Him, and He reveals or bares witness of Himself in it/us.
As for your friend... I would counsel him to ask for it and maybe even thank the Lord upfront for it as tho it had already happened-
Think of Peter before he stepped out of the boat... He said "lord if it's you,... call to me that I may come to you" ....Peter asked for it.

Tho I can honestly say that prior to being baptized with the Spirit it seemed more of an external thing whereas after more internal.
Like before that I really struggled to control my temper, whereas after I can sense Him and simply yield to Him and allow Him to control it by virtue of His presence, if that makes sense.... Tho it totally makes sense to me that it's called the "fruit" of the Spirit, because it is literally "produced" in and thru us by Him, by virtue of His presence and our willing submission. I mean the branch doesn't strain to produce a fruit, it just abides and the fruit comes naturally.
Ok I'm rambling...

2016/8/18 23:01Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

Jon:

In addition to the great input so far this also came to mind concerning your first question. Jesus said,

John 16:7-15 ESV Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send Him to you. (8) And when He comes, He will CONVICT the world concerning SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS and JUDGEMENT: (9) concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; (10) concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see Me no longer; (11) concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. (12) "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. (13) When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth, for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak, and He will declare to you the things that are to come. (14) He will glorify Me, for He will take what is Mine and declare it to you. (15) All that the Father has is Mine; therefore I said that He will take what is Mine and declare it to you.

Your second question is a very serious one and is very common in scripture and the church as well. I have come across not a few who have made a mental assent or acknowledgement of God, for with their mouths and lips they profess to know Him but their hearts are far from Him.

I choose to sit down with those who are willing and through questioning find out where the disconnection is in regards to their responses and in light of Gods word.

I can give many scenarios of how these conversations have gone but for many in my lifetime I have found that in order to make a disciple it takes time. We are commanded in scripture to go into the world and make disciples.

While it is true that in the body of Christ we are all co-laborers and some plant and others water God is the One who gives the increase/reaps the harvest.

Those who struggle connecting the dots are many times struggling with doubt, unbelief, and many times overthink the goodness of God. They need to be encouraged through scripture that the very fact that they even have any interest at all in the things of God is because God has put that hook in their mouth and is drawing them unto Himself.

Jesus said no man could come to Him except the Father which sent Him draws that person first. Jesus told Peter the reason He called Jesus the Christ was because the Father put that truth in His heart.

Some people's faith sometimes needs loving and patient guidance and instruction, this is what it means to make a disciple. Some just need help to connect the dots.

2 Timothy 2:24-26 KJV And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, (25) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; (26) And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

I have sat down with many people over the years and we come together and just get quiet before the Lord and wait on His Holy Spirit to come and reveal Himself and I can assure you He has never failed. I have many family members who are now with the Lord it had taken years before they truly had that inward witness and visible fruit in their life that they were truly the Lords planting. God is faithful.

Overcoming religious mindsets and a works mentality in their lives was the biggest obstacle and with those who struggle taking God at His word just need to come as children and we as laborers need to be ready to give an answer of the reason for the hope that is within us.

Hope all the good thoughts and counsel help brother.

2016/8/19 9:11Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Good word David.

2016/8/19 10:22Profile

Re:

David

Many thanks for that very pastoral input.

As you may have guessed, it is I who cannot perceive the witness of the Spirit in my own life. This is an issue I am currently wrestling with a great deal.

PS - My memory is not great on this so apologies if I'm speaking to the wrong person, but I know I had some helpful email exchanges on this kind of topic with a David from sermonindex about a year ago. If that was you, I apologize for the sudden lack of communication - that email address I was using then was a secondary one that very suddenly ceased to exist when the guy that was in charge of the server (actually my brother!) decided to shut it down without warning!

2016/8/19 22:18
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

Jon:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns and being honest and upfront with your struggles. I do not believe it was me you were emailing last year but there are a couple other David's here (Hey Dave & Docs). Docs is David Winter and Hey Dave has not posted in quite some time.

A couple thoughts, a good place to start I believe in getting to know more about you is for you to share your testimony, how did you get saved? Testimonies are very telling as to whether one is basing their salvation on the truth of the scriptures or if it is based on the flesh, mind, or doing this or that.

There are many gifted believers here and I would trust that if you are willing to continue be honest and transparent and share more in depth the areas where you are struggling you can get to the root of the problem.

As I said earlier it is always God who begins the process in seeing people saved. The scriptures say that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. No man can come to Jesus until the Father draws him first. In the case of Lydia the seller of purple in the book of Acts we are told it was the LORD who opened up her heart.

I have spoken with some people who are so overtaken by guilt, condemnation, and feel absolutely unworthy of Gods love and sacrifice they cannot come to Him.

Many years ago my wife began an affair which turned our home and marriage upside down and our ordeal lasted 12 years from start to finish. During this horrific time God spoke very clearly to me that I was to love my wife as He loved the church and gave Himself for her.

Gods agape love which is an unconditional love is a love no man can offer to his neighbor, wife, or enemy until he first receives it himself. Over time through this expression of love God began to draw my wife as He promised back to me. The most difficult part however was my wife's guilt, condemnation, and utter feeling of worthlessness she struggled for years in being able to overcome these feelings and accept that love.

The path of salvation continues as God draws us and opens our eyes, understanding, and heart and we now see our utter hopelessness it will produce a brokenness and contriteness of heart and spirit which the scriptures tell us God will not despise nor turn away.

Paul speaks of two kinds of sorrow in 2 Corinthians 7, a Godly sorrow which will lead us to His gift of repentance and by His grace enable us to turn from our sin. The other is a worldly sorrow which end is death because it does not produce repentance unto salvation.

I first heard the gospel when I was 17, I worked with several born again believers for 2 years who lived out their relationship with Jesus Christ before my very eyes. 9 months after meeting these people I was stricken with a severe illness and they laid hands on me and prayed for me and I was instantly healed. Yet for 9 more years I ran from God and pursued all the worldly pleasures and vices.

I hated that life but I just could not get free, for years I tried to clean myself up and make myself presentable to the futile point of getting ready to take my own life. I was overcome with guilt and condemnation because God had done and shown me His unconditional love on so many occasions and I continued to spurn that love.

I went on to murder my own child, the only one we would ever have when my wife and I were very young. You see Jon, the devil is very crafty and has shipwrecked many of men's faith even after we are saved the battle rages.

I love this portion of scripture and the precious promises God has freely given us.

Romans 5:8-10 KJV But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (9) Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. (10) For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

When we were totally lost and unworthy Jesus died for us, then after we get saved and are justified by His blood, we are saved from the wrath to come. While we were at odds and enmity with God He reconciled us through Jesus Christ, now here is the amazing thing. If God went to all the trouble He did to save us when we were completely and totally unworthy, HOW MUCH MORE will He continue to be with us, encourage us, chasten us, enable us, be merciful to us, BY HIS LIFE which lives in us!

Do you know how many times since September 9, 1988 I had to back the truck up and go back to square one and revisit what God did for me? Not a few.

I wanted to take a minute here brother and share some of my testimony and let you know that we all struggle at various times in our walk. There are many hills, valley's, mountain top, and pit experiences. But one thing I can tell you for sure is God is faithful. If He begins a work in us He WILL complete it and all the promises of God are yes and amen in Christ Jesus.

When we are saved His Spirit comes to live within us and we are regenerated by His Spirit. For me, I was saved for 9 years and then I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. This is a second and completely separate experience that changed my life and walk with the Lord.

If I would have died before I was baptized in the Spirit I still would have gone to heaven and many have, do, and will. Unfortunately this is a topic that is heavily debated and argued over in the body of Christ but I tell you the truth when we are baptized in the Spirit we are empowered and the witness you spoke of in the title of this thread intensifies immensely.

I will share and close with one last testimony of a brother who I went to church with, like me, he was also Italian and carried a lot of religious baggage we Italians pick up in our beloved Rome. This brother and I hit it off when we met and like you he was struggling in many areas of his life.

He was definitely saved and was deeply desiring the baptism in the Holy Spirit so he for many weeks kept asking my questions how I got filled and what was wrong with him because he was praying, pleading, crying out to God to fill him.

As I prayed for wisdom and guidance in helping this brother we were speaking in church one Sunday and he was sharing his struggles, doubts, fears on the subject and the Lord said, "Ask him when he was water baptized" so I asked and his answer was that he has not yet been water baptized!

This man was saved for 8 years and had not yet obeyed the first commandment for every new believer! Bingo.

Acts 1:4-5 KJV And, (Jesus) being assembled together with them, COMMANDED them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but WAIT for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. (5) For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Once this man saw the need to obey God and make a public confession of Christ he scheduled a water baptism for both he and his wife, and his children. He then was filled with the Holy Spirit not long afterward.

If you are hungering and thirsting for Righteousness God will not withhold, He will FILL you to the uttermost.

Jon, if you are not comfortable in continuing to share publicly, my private email is in my profile, just click on profile at the bottom of my post and you will see my email. I would be glad to continue our conversation.

God Bless!

2016/8/20 8:53Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother David

Beautiful!!
Transparent and just beautiful:)
Catagorically agree across the board with everything you wrote as it speaks of my own experience of Christ.

And I appreciate your making point of the simpler things that sometimes get overlooked in our walk and the testimony about your wife is a wonderfully blessed occasion to give praise to the Lord:)

2016/8/20 9:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy