SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Great word on Christian Love and Unity.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
forrests

A Great word on Christian Love and Unity.

This truly blessed me (and greatly convicted me at times as well). I thought it would be a worthwhile read for us all - especially in "light" of the way I have observed a lot of the threads play out...

It is: "Catholic Spirit - Sermon 39"; by John Wesley.

http://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-sermons-of-john-wesley-1872-edition/sermon-39-catholic-spirit/

Grace, love, victory and joy for the revelation of Jesus Christ in and through you to the glory of God the Father!

2016/8/15 1:43Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: A Great word on Christian Love and Unity.

Hey F,

I read this during my lunch hour at work.

Wow! What a great word!

These godly men of a couple centuries ago seemed to have such a wonderful grasp of the scriptures and patiently expounded and explained them in a way you just do not see much of today.I learn so much from them and thank God every time for the gifts He placed in the body.

He explained clearly what we all know deep down as Christians. That we should major on the majors, the things which unify us and cannot be compromised doctrinally and minor on the minors which are so open to different interpretations and applications.

Blessings,

2016/8/15 7:19Profile
forrests

Re: StirItUp

I was very blessed by it as well (as is usually the case when I read Wesley sermons - among others).

I am trying to prepare for a soon approaching gathering in which I may have the opportunity to share a burden I have for the brethren - which is biblical love and unity in accordance with Christ and His law/commandment to believers (Think John 13:34).

I had to look up a few terms to get an accurate understanding of them - words such as "catholic" made me recoil a bit at first, due to the common connotation of it. I also had to look up the different types of "church polity" mentioned too. I was greatly blessed and grateful that you read it too.

Grace and peace to you in Jesus' Name and by His precious blood!

2016/8/15 11:24Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Hey F,

May the Lord impart His heart and mind to you as you minister in His Name.

You may want to consider meditating on Ephesians 4 verse 1 to 6 as well as chapter 2 verse 11 to 22

His Grace be with your spirit,

2016/8/15 15:23Profile
forrests

Re: Ephesians passages

StirItUp,
Will do brother. Thanks for your help!

May the Spirit of the Lord be life to you; and may the Life that is in you be a light unto men everywhere - to the revealing of Christ in the world and the hearts of men, to the Glory of God the Father!

2016/8/15 15:59Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Amen

2016/8/15 16:04Profile
forrests

Re: Ephesians 4 verse 1 to 6

I found this now, I plan to read it as well:

The Sermons of John Wesley - Sermon 74

Of The Church

"I beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with long-suffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."
~ Ephesians 4:1-6.

http://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-sermons-of-john-wesley-1872-edition/sermon-74-of-the-church/

:-D

2016/8/16 11:57Profile
forrests

An Excerpt illustrating the regenerated heart and the ground of unity.

13. Dost thou believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, "God over all, blessed for ever"? Is he revealed in thy soul? Dost thou know Jesus Christ and him crucified? Does he dwell in thee, and thou in him? Is he formed in thy heart by faith having absolutely disclaimed all thy own works, thy own righteousness, hast thou "submitted thyself unto the righteousness of God, which is by faith in Christ Jesus? Art thou "found in him, not having thy own righteousness, but the righteousness which is by faith"? And art thou, through him, "fighting the good fight of faith, and laying hold of eternal life"?

14. Is thy faith energoumenh di agaphs, --filled with the energy of love Dost thou love God (I do not say "above all things," for it is both an unscriptural and an ambiguous expression, but) "with all thy heart, and with all thy mind, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength"? Dost thou seek all thy happiness in him alone? And dost thou find what thou seekest? Does thy soul continually "magnify the Lord, and thy spirit rejoice in God thy Saviour" having learned "in everything to give thanks", dost thou find "it is a joyful and a pleasant thing to be thankful"? Is God the centre of thy soul, the sum of all thy desires? Art thou accordingly laying up thy treasure in heaven, and counting all things else dung and dross? Hath the love of God cast the love of the world out of thy soul? Then thou art "crucified to the world;" thou art dead to all below; and thy "life is hid with Christ in God."

15. Art thou employed in doing, "not thy own will, but the will of him that sent thee" --of him that sent thee down to sojourn here awhile, to spend a few days in a strange land, till, having finished the work he hath given thee to do, thou return to thy Father's house? Is it thy meat and drink "to do the will of thy Father which is in heaven"? Is thine eye single in all things always fixed on him always looking unto Jesus? Dost thou point at him in whatsoever thou doest in all thy labour, thy business, thy conversation aiming only at the glory of God in all, "whatsoever thou doest, either in word or deed, doing it all in the name of the Lord Jesus; giving thanks unto God, even the Father, through him"?

16. Does the love of God constrain thee to serve him with fear, to "rejoice unto him with reverence"? Art thou more afraid of displeasing God, than either of death or hell? Is nothing so terrible to thee as the thought of offending the eyes of his glory? Upon this ground, dost thou "hate all evil ways," every transgression of his holy and perfect law; and herein "exercise thyself, to have a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward man"?

17. Is thy heart right toward thy neighbour? Dost thou love as thyself, all mankind, without exception? "If you love those only that love you, what thank have ye?" - Do you "love your enemies"? Is your soul full of good-will, of tender affection, toward them Do you love even the enemies of God, the unthankful and unholy? Do your bowels yearn over them? Could you "wish yourself" temporally "accursed" for their sake And do you show this by "blessing them that curse you, and praying for those that despitefully use you, and persecute you"?

18. Do you show your love by your works? While you have time as you have opportunity, do you in fact "do good to all men," neighbours or strangers, friends or enemies, good or bad? Do you do them all the good you can; endeavouring to supply all their wants; assisting them both in body and soul, to the uttermost of your power? --If thou art thus minded, may every Christian say, yea, if thou art but sincerely desirous of it, and following on till thou attain, then "thy heart is right, as my heart is with thy heart."

~ From John Wesley's sermon 39 - "Catholic Spirit"

2016/8/16 12:50Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Hey F,

Thanks for this one as well.A blessing, as always with Mr Wesley's writings.

Just read through it quickly and will do so more slowly tonight at home, especially from point 20 onwards.So much to meditate on!

God bless,

2016/8/17 6:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy