Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 2 Samuel 24 vs 1 Chronicles 21

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

Hello brothers,

Thanks for your responses to my question and the helpful advices in the Lord.

I'm the Lord so thankful for giving His word. Whether my feelings are gone, my brains fail me or my Church has forgotten to preach Christ...He has given His precious word. We live in a time where this zeal for Gods word is almost completely gone...but I've discovered and discover time and time again how powerful and beautiful the words of the living God are.

[i]For this is no vain word for you, but it is [b]your life[/b] (Deut 32:47)[/i]

[i]Christ, who is [b]your life[/b] (Col 3:4)[/i]

I read another wonderful verse yesterday, a beautiful verse to pray before opening your Bible in the morning:

Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning;
For I trust in You;
Teach me the way in which I should walk;
For to You I lift up my soul. (Psalm 143:8 NASB)

Alright...to get back to my question.

[b]YeshuaIsMyGd wrote:[/b]

Quote:
so you just answered your own question??

lol. Great stuff. thanks though

Yeah...I'm pretty much satisfied with the answers I found and thought it would be a good thing to share it with all of my Family.

[b]GaryE wrote:[/b]
Quote:
It is the Word not the written word that bears witness to you. God still speaks to me through the King James Bible and I'm sure would speak to me through some of the other versions if I read them, however, none of the English versions are the original text.

Also Paul, be very carefull not to get selfrightous about the bible. I've met people who were so self-rightous about their version of the bible that they lost their ability to minister to certain people.

Brother, thank you very much for your well-intended advice. I take it to heart. I must say that I myself don't even have [b]one single[/b] King James Version Bible at home...I'm Dutch, so I use a Dutch version, but through E-sword (a wonderful program Mike - Crsschk - told me about) and Biblegateway I now at times compare beautiful verses I read with each other...and that's a great thing to do.

About this "selfrighteousness" about the Bible. I will try to keep this in mind. I try to learn to not give my opinion too quickly on some issues anymore when I'm not really certain about them. There's a time to speak and a time to remain silent. I'm in no way a defender of any version of the Bible, but I definately [b]am[/b] a defender of the Bible itself. There's so much power lacking in modern Christianity, because people look at the world and say: "we've got to compromise. We've got to bring the message across more lively, more Powerpoint-presentations, shorter sermons, more stories, less verses, more music etc..."

David MacDonald (don't really know this fellow) once said:

“Don't try to bring the Word of God down to your level. Let it pull you up to its level”

[b]ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:[/b]
Quote:
While athiests point to the 0.0000001% of supposed "contradictary" words, they forget that 99.999%+ of the translations agree with one another -- even though the Bible has been translated in multiple thousands of languages!

Yeah, that's indeed so awesome! I must admit that I'm still having some problems with this "copyist"-errors-stuff. Of course I believe we're all merely human, but well...it's not really clear to me yet, what I should think about this. Well, will surrender it to God. That's the best thing I can do. Thank you for your insights, brother! May the Lord bless you on your Pilgrimage as well and may the true Word be a reality in your day-to-day life.

[b]Philologos wrote:[/b]
Quote:
This is old Adam Clark on 2 Sam 24

Thanks for the link. I checked it out. I must say that I just don't know. Maybe this is an area in which Christ still has to teach me some lessons (as well as in all other areas of life of course ;-)). I'm willing to learn, but at the moment disagree with good ol' Adam Clark :-)

[b]Fernando wrote:[/b]
Quote:
Hope this helps,

Yeah, thanks brother! I came across this explanation also. Scofield made the same note. I must say that I find the explanation by good ol' John Gill useful as well:

…what seems to be the best solution of the difficulty is what is observed by a Jew (R. Eliezer), that here the number of the people in the several parts of the land of Israel was given, which were eight hundred thousand, there along with them, the numbers of the standing army which waited on the king in their courses, which were twenty four thousand every, month, and amounted in the twelve months to 288,000, and reckoning lo thousand officers to them, they make the sum of three hundred thousand wanted, see 1 Chronicles 27:1.”

By the way...you live near to where I live. I live in the Netherlands in Eindhoven! That's only 60-100 kilometres from where you live. Continue to seek Him and may He, by His Spirit, guide you in all truth to be "a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." (2 Tim 2:15).

Blessings to you all in Christ,

Paul

2005/6/12 13:57Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Christopher Wordsworth was an Anglican bishop, an anglo catholic, but a great Bible student. He writes...

In 1 Chron 21.5 the number is stated 1,100,000 men. In the former muster it is probable that the standing army of David (1Chron 27), which had before been numbered, is not reckoned, but it is inserted in the latter. This standing army consisted of 12X24,000=288,000 men, who, with their chiliarchs and twelve generals will make 300,000; and if these are added to the 800,000 mentioned here, the numbers in both places would conincide (Tremell, Junius,. Grot., Walther, Pfeiffer)
(BTW I have never heard of these other authorities which Wordsworth quotes here. RB)

Judah - five hundred thousand. In 1 Chron 21.5 rhw number of Judah is 470,000 men. Perhaps David had 30,000 stationed with him at Jerusalem, and the other 470,000 were mustered by Joab, who "went out from the presence of the king" (v4) unto other cities of Judah.

2005/6/15 6:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy