SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Before You Throw in the Towel - Wurtz

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Before You Throw in the Towel - Wurtz

Here's some good encouragement for these days...

“Suddenly a voice came to him, and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” And he said, “I have been very zealous for the LORD God of hosts; because the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life.” Then the LORD said to him: “Go, return on your way to the Wilderness of Damascus; and when you arrive, anoint Hazael as king over Syria.” (1 Kings 19:13–15 NKJV)

Elijah had reached a point in his life where he was tired of dealing with ole' Jezebel. Her and Ahab tried to destroy every legitimate prophet in Israel. She was a usurper who operated with diabolic powers. In fact, she had so oppressed Elijah through her words that the man was ready to give up. In English idiom, we might say he was near to "throwing in the towel."

Reading through the narrative it doesn't make sense. Here is a man who slayed the prophets of Baal and done many other great things in the name of the Lord. Yet he is running from that woman Jezebel and hiding in a cave. How could this happen to the great prophet Elijah? I suggest that it's because of a demonic oppression that accompanied her actions. The effects of her strategies and behaviors were far too great to be a mere human origin. In fact, the demonic force that was operating in her life showed up again several hundred years after the woman Jezebel was killed.

Jezebel Reappears

Many books have been written exploring what is sometimes called a "Jezebel spirit." Often these books contain speculations that do not fit the purpose or direction of this blog post. So we will not discuss them here. However, we encounter in the New Testament a person(s) who is referred to as, "That woman Jezebel." We read in Revelation 2:20-22 concerning the church at Thyatira, “Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds.”

Obviously, this woman or person is not the Jezebel if 1 Kings 19. However, they are operating in such a way that the Lord referred to them as "that woman Jezebel" — to call remembrance that evil woman from the Old Testament. Notice one identifying marker... the person would be judged with sickness. The text reads literally that they were being cast into a bed of sickness (in contrast to a bed of adultery). There had been an opportunity to repent — but that time was now over. The sick bed, among other things, were God's judgments on the people involved with her. In fact, it would be a great tribulation for them if they did not repent.

The Jezebel Effect

Understand that Jezebel wore out the saints. She especially wore out Elijah and nearly drove him out of the ministry. This is another identifying marker... "That woman Jezebel," when operational, will wear down even the most spiritual people. "She" will keep Godly people on the run and cause them to want to give up and quit the work of God. What did Elijah say, “I have been very zealous for the LORD God of hosts; because the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life.” What happened? He was sidelined by her demonic influence.

There are people today who are just like Jezebel. They are found in many places — even in ministry. Like Jezebel, they seem to be getting by with murder. They have worn out even the most seasoned saints with their antics. It seems like everyones hands are tied. Nobody wants to deal with the person(s) or nobody seems to know how to. Be of good cheer! When man refuses or is unable to judge the Jezebels of this world, God takes the matter into His own hands. What did He tell Thyatira? "Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds.” Not just trouble... great tribulation. “I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.” (Revelation 2:23 NKJV)

The Jezebels of the world and sadly sometimes in the so-called "ministry" are working to wear you out! So before you throw in the towel or quit the call of God... think about how He dealt with Elijah. He got him back doing what he was called to do and sent him to anoint a whole list of people. From the metaphorical cave we find ourselves in, sometimes we have to be willing to hear the still small voice. What did it say? In a nutshell, "Get busy doing what I called you to do and let me worry about Jezebel. She is going to get hers someday... but what is that to thee? Follow thou me." And so Elijah did as he was told and finished the race STRONG. In fact, he left this world in a Chariot of Fire! The Jezebels of the world may bring us very low, but we must never throw in the towel. Turn your face to the LORD and hear Him speaking... He's probably giving you your next assignment.

Before You Throw in the Towel - Robert Wurtz II

2016/7/30 18:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy