SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Crucified with Christ.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Crucified with Christ.

In order to see ourselves as crucified with Christ, and in union with Christ, we need to have our spiritual eyes opened by direct revelation from God, and we must pray as in Ephesians 1:17, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto us the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.

One day we 'knew' that our sins were forgiven because Christ died on the cross, and we must also 'know' one day, that we were there with Him and because of that, our old nature, the nature that was ruled by sin and was therefore separated from the presence of God, was crucified with Him.

This took place in the past, two thousand years ago, it is not something to hope for and to pray over and over about, for the future. It was done in the past by Christ taking us with Him, not through anything we could achieve, by our Bible reading, obedience to God's commandments, church attendance, taking of the sacraments,nothing. Christ did it all.

He freed us from the power of sin and all that we need in order to have this power effective in our lives today 'that henceforth we should not serve sin, for he that is dead is freed from sin' is to place our faith in this and in Christ who came to save us from sin and our lukewarnness, discouragement, dryness, fears, doubts, lack of love, coldness of heart, and deadness.

Our old nature or flesh, is not to be improved upon but seen as dead and when we have received this knowledge into our hearts as well as our minds, we can then 'reckon' and put it into prqctice, working out what God has worked in,and be enabled to walk in newnesss of Life in fellowship with and led by the S[pirit of God, in purity and wholeness.

2016/7/23 2:24
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Crucified with Christ.

Hi sister Brenda,

Thank God for the Holy Spirit and how He guides us into all truth. Every born again child of God has the Spirit of God dwelling in him/her and we can be sure He will lead us to that point of surrender and of faith where we enter into rest. I have quoted some of my favorite verses in Romans here below from the Phillips translation (not because I prefer it, necessarily, but it is on my desktop and I could easily copy the verses :) )

I remember with great joy and thankfulness the day when the Holy Spirit brought me into this experience of rest. I had been struggling with certain fleshly temptation and , as is human, was trying to resist and overcome in my own strength. The Holy Spirit clearly spoke in me and said: " Give Me your time and I will do the work" I did just that, spending time praying and worshiping, sometimes just lying on the floor in the presence of God. He led me to a book of Andrew Murray' called Absolute Surrender and another one Humility, and through these writings brought me to a place of surrender and faith where I "died" to my own efforts and rested on His finished work.
It was a real internal struggle as between Jacob and the angel. As Andrew Murray teaches, you need to come to the point of brokenness and saying: "Lord I cannot but You can. You can do it in and through me.I give up and cast myself completely upon you."
There is such a battle of self will at this stage, but Andrew Murray also writes that our loving Lord understands this and we can pray: " I do not feel willing, Lord, but I am willing to be made willing"
Those words really helped me enter in and my life has never been the same since!
It is when our will is given up and surrendered to His will that we truly enter in.
Now one of my favorite definitions of "faith" is: Not I but Christ!

I hope these words can help someone else enter in to their "land of abundance" and of victory over self and sin.

Paul quoted below:

8:1-2 - No condemnation now hangs over the head of those who are "in" Jesus Christ. For the new spiritual principle of life "in" Christ lifts me out of the old vicious circle of sin and death.

8:3-4 - The Law never succeeded in producing righteousness - the failure was always the weakness of human nature. But God has met this by sending his own Son Jesus Christ to live in that human nature which causes the trouble. And, while Christ was actually taking upon himself the sins of men, God condemned that sinful nature. So that we are able to meet the Law's requirements, so long as we are living no longer by the dictates of our sinful nature, but in obedience to the promptings of the Spirit.

8:5-8 - The carnal attitude sees no further than natural things. But the spiritual attitude reaches out after the things of the spirit. The former attitude means, bluntly, death: the latter means life and inward peace. And this is only to be expected, for the carnal attitude is inevitably opposed to the purpose of God, and neither can nor will follow his laws for living. Men who hold this attitude cannot possibly please God.

What the presence of Christ within means

8:9-11 - But you are not carnal but spiritual if the Spirit of God finds a home within you. You cannot, indeed, be a Christian at all unless you have something of his Spirit in you. Now if Christ does live within you his presence means that your sinful nature is dead, but your spirit becomes alive because of the righteousness he brings with him. I said that our nature is "dead" in the presence of Christ, and so it is, because of its sin. Nevertheless once the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead lives within you he will, by that same Spirit, bring to your whole being new strength and vitality.

8:12-13 - So then, my brothers, you can see that we have no particular reason to feel grateful to our sensual nature, or to live life on the level of the instincts. Indeed that way of living leads to certain spiritual death. But if on the other hand you cut the nerve of your instinctive actions by obeying the Spirit, you are on the way to real living.

Christ is within - follow the lead of his Spirit

8:14-17 - All who follow the leading of God's Spirit are God's own sons. Nor are you meant to relapse into the old slavish attitude of fear - you have been adopted into the very family circle of God and you can say with a full heart, "Father, my Father". The Spirit himself endorses our inward conviction that we really are the children of God. Think what that means. If we are his children we share his treasures, and all that Christ claims as his will belong to all of us as well! Yes, if we share in his suffering we shall certainly share in his glory.

2016/7/23 5:16Profile

Please realize that I have no power to open your eyes to this glorious truth concerning your freedom in Christ. Only the Holy Spirit of God can do that so now just ask God and expect that by His Holy Spirit to take the things of Christ and then show them to you. As he does this your eyes will be opened and you will see these truths in a greater detail than you ever have before.

If you are having problems or issues in walking and experiencing Christ's victory or if you have been struggling to be freed from sin then this article is for you.

Most of us have no problem in believing the fact that Christ was crucified and died on the cross for us. This was an unchangeable and irrevocable historical and Spiritual act of God. Even if you chose not to believe in this fact, it still remains a fact.

Now was Christ's death real or potential? It was real in every possible way. He really died and He did shed his blood. There was absolutely nothing potential about it.

Now what did you have to do concerning this act of God?
Did you agree with it or even consent to it?
Did you even get to vote for it?

NO!

You had absolutely nothing with to do with it all!

This act was all of God's doing because of His supreme love for you.

Do you know that when Christ was crucified that you were crucified with Him?

Do you know that when Christ was buried you were buried with Him?

Do you know that when Christ rose from the dead you were raised with Him in newness of life?

Now I went to many churches and some completely different denominations for many years without even hearing this truth. The places that I did hear this truth they only taught it as some potential or a positional truth that somehow I had to attain to or acquire by my efforts.

Let us see what God's word says concerning this truth.

Rom 6:3-7; "Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him."

Rom. 6:18; "Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness."

Rom. 6:22; "But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life."

Rom. 8:2-3; "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh"

2 Cor. 5:14-15; "For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again."

Gal. 2:20; "I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

Look at what Watchman Nee wrote in his book "The Normal Christian Life."

"In these verses it is made clear that the death of the Lord Jesus is representative and inclusive. In His death we all died. None of us can progress spiritually without seeing this. Just as we cannot have justification if we have not seen Him bearing our sins on the Cross, so we cannot have sanctification if we have not seen Him bearing us on the Cross. Not only have our sins been laid on Him but we ourselves have been put into Him.

How did you receive forgiveness? You realized that the Lord Jesus died as your Substitute and bore your sins upon Himself, and that His Blood was shed to cleanse away your defilement. When you saw your sins all taken away on the Cross what did you do? Did you say, 'Lord Jesus, please come and die for my sins'? No, you did not pray at all; you only thanked the Lord You did not beseech Him to come and die for you, for you realized that He had already done it.

But what is true of your forgiveness is also true of your deliverance. The work is done. There is no need to pray but only to praise. God has put us all in Christ, so that when Christ was crucified we were crucified also. Thus there is no need to pray: 'I am a very wicked person; Lord, please crucify me'. That is all wrong. You did not pray about your sins; why pray now about yourself? Your sins were dealt with by His Blood, and you were dealt with by His Cross. It is an accomplished fact. All that is left for you to do is to praise the Lord that when Christ died you died also; you died in Him. Praise Him for it and live in the light of it. "Then believed they his words: they sang his praise" (Psalm 106:12). Do you believe in the death of Christ? Of course you do. Well, the same Scripture that says He died for us says also that we died with Him. Look at it again: "Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). That is the first statement, and that is clear enough; but is this any less clear? "Our old man was crucified with him" (Romans 6:6). "We died with Christ" (Romans 6:8).

When are we crucified with Him? What is the date of our old man's crucifixion? Is it tomorrow? Yesterday? Today? In order to answer this it may help us if for a moment I turn Paul's statement round and say, 'Christ was crucified with (i.e. at the same time as) our old man'. Some of you came here in twos. You traveled to this place together. You might say, My friend came here with me', but you might just as truly say, 'I came here with my friend'. Had one of you come three days ago and the other only today you could not possibly say that; but having come together you can make either statement with equal truth, because both are statements of fact. So also in historic fact we can say, reverently but with equal accuracy, 'I was crucified when Christ was crucified' or 'Christ was crucified when I was crucified', for they are not two historical events, but one. My crucifixion was "with him". Has Christ been crucified? Then can I be otherwise? And if He was crucified nearly two thousand years ago, and I with Him, can my crucifixion be said to take place tomorrow? Can His be past and mine be present or future? Praise the Lord, when He died in my stead, but He bore me with Him to the Cross, so that when He died I died. And if I believe in the death of the Lord Jesus, then I can believe in my own death just as surely as I believe in His.

Why do you believe that the Lord Jesus died? What is your ground for that belief? Is it that you feel He has died? No, you have never felt it. You believe it because the Word of God tells you so. When the Lord was crucified, two thieves were crucified at the same time. You do not doubt that they were crucified with Him, either, because the Scripture says so quite plainly.

You believe in the death of the Lord Jesus and you believe in the death of the thieves with Him. Now what about your own death? Your crucifixion is more intimate than theirs. They were crucified at the same time as the Lord but on different crosses, whereas you were crucified on the self same cross as He, for you were in Him when He died. How can you know? You can know for the one sufficient reason that God has said so. It does not depend on your feelings. If you feel that Christ has died, He has died; and if you do not feel that he died, He has died. If you feel that you have died, you have died; and if you do not feel that you have died, you have nevertheless just as surely died. These are Divine facts. That Christ has died is a fact, that the two thieves have died is a fact, and that you have died is a fact also. Let me tell you, You have died! You are done with! You are ruled out! The self you loathe is on the Cross in Christ. And "he that is dead is freed from sin" (Romans 6:7, A.V.)."

Just look at some things God has already done for you and in you.

This is the truth that sets you free.

1. You have deliverance from sin and its spiritual consequences.
2. You are attached to the body of Christ.
3. You have Jesus Christ actually dwelling, abiding and living within you.
4. You have been set free from the law of sin and death.
5. You have deliverance from the pollution of sin itself.
6. You are now one with Christ and in union with Him.
7. You are now a totally NEW creation.
8. You have been reconciled to God.
9. You have entered into a new spiritual life of righteousness, peace and joy
10. You are now seated in the heavily places in Christ.
11. You have been delivered from eternal death, sin, punishment and misery.
12. Jesus Christ Himself is now your Life. You are now a partaker of His divine nature.
13. You have been freed from the power and domain of sin.
14. You have now been justified by his blood,
15 You have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace "
16. The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made you free from the law of sin and death
17. You have been crucified with Christ.
18. Your body is now the Temple of God and you are holy.
19. You have been made the rightness of God in Christ.
20. He is your Sabbath rest.
21. And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
22. God has taken away your stony hard heart and REPLACED with a new heart that is full of His love, desires and faith. Please note that this was an exchange. He took away the old heart and then replaced it with a new one. You do NOT have two hearts!

2016/7/23 5:17

sorry - double post

2016/7/23 5:19
brothagary

Re:

Strangely enough , i never read this thread before i posted a thread just now , and read this thread and the coments i cant help but think that the spirit is wittinessing , becasue i read the same thing here As in the beginning of my thread ,that was an old thread from a few years ago ,
Which seems to be the main thrust prior to a prophecy about the holy spirit .....

Amen tto what iv read here !

2016/7/23 6:21Profile
brothagary

Re:

Its all through faith ,according to his grace ,may we grasp the truth through a spirtual and lively faith , ignited by the holy spirit , a faith that burns in our hearts as well as our minds , a faith in the truth ,that purifiers us , from all ungodlness!!

2016/7/23 6:27Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Amen brothers and sister!

This is a crucial message to believers and as Tuc quoted Watchman Nee, without understanding this, further spiritual progress is impossible!
Many believers are still babies because they have not gone on in grace!
They are still caught in the wilderness of sinning and asking for forgiveness as a habitual lifestyle when in fact the Normal Christian Life is that of Joshua and Caleb who entered the Promised Land of abundance and blessing, because they believed God and obeyed.

Thanks Tuc, for those scripture references. Every believer who desires this victorious life we speak of must read and meditate on Romans 5 through 8 and apply what is written there.

In His Love

William

2016/7/23 7:41Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Some wonderful things shared in this thread. It is very true that we are crucified with Christ, such is a key to victory in the Christian life.

The only addition I would say is that we are actually given a new heart and are not sinners in reality but saints now! Children of God.

--
God has made us who were sinners to become saints not just in word but in actual experience. Such is our standing now that we become holy because of the blood of Christ and His redeeming work. Our heart is made new as we grow into His likeness.274 Yet from this vantage point of being a redeemed saint of God we should never look down on or despise others who are still in the filth of sin being outside of Christ, for it is from hence we came!275 Thus the true work of Christ in us allows us to love all others because God in Christ loves all: “Who gave Himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.”276

from: https://ia600202.us.archive.org/28/items/principlesv4/11_Principle10.pdf

2016/7/23 9:52Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I agree with Greg. Awesome material here. These are all timeless truths, but the amazing thing is they are all "according to your faith" by appropriation. For those who do not "reckon" them to be such, to them it is not. And vice-versa. What an ingenious design! It precludes all boasting. And if anyone attempts to bring willpower merit to faith, we are reminded that even our faith itself is of the Son of God, the Author of it.

2016/7/23 12:28Profile

Re:

Amen! God does not regard His children, (those who have faith in His Son) as sinners.

1Jn 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

Isa 56:5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.

2016/7/23 15:12

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy