SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Turkey and Erdogan Bear Watching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Turkey and Erdogan Bear Watching

One should not underestimate what took place in Turkey a few days ago. The news outlets (whose credibility is certainly questioned) reported an attempted military coup against the government of Turkey. Later it was reported that they were moderates in the military who were attempting to overthrow the Islamic keaning president of Turkey, Recep Tayip Erdogan (G is pronounced like a "w" in last name like Erdowan). The forces of Erdogan prevailed. The coup was crushed. Thus consolidating Erdogan's power. And as brother Frank wisely posted a few days ago. There will be hell to pay on the part of those that started the coup.

Some are already raising questions as to whether this coup might have been staged by Erdogan himself. A deliberate attempt on his part to consolidate his power. Whether Erdogan staged the coup himself or whether this was a last ditch effort on the part of secular moderates to prevent Turkey from drifting toward Islam, the fact remains Erdogan is in sole control of Turkey.

Articles reporting on the aftermath of the coup show large numbers of civil servants being fired, purges of the military, and the judicial system being brought under the control of Erdogan. Also several thousand have been arrested in connection with the coup. And Erdogan is calling for the execution of those involved with the coup.

Some of you reading this may be yawning and saying "well so what". That is over there. Why put this on the board. Before you blow me off please hear me. What may happen in Turkey may very well have prophetic overtones in the months to come.

Modern Turkey as we know it was birthed in 1923 after the fall of the Ottoman Empire. The father of modern turkey is Mustafa Kenal Ataturk. Up until 2002 he was revered as the George Washington of modern Turkey. Ataturk sought to establish turkey on secular democratic grounds. His intention was to separate the Islamic religion from a secular government in Turkey. He wanted Turkey to be a western aligned nation. Separating itself from its Ottoman history of several hundred years.

A safeguard was built in that the military would step in and overthrow the government if the government was leaning toward Islam. This worked three previous times in Turkish history. When the government was leaning towards an Islamic stance. The Turkish military loyal to the nation stepped in and deposed the current government. And put in place a more secular government to be established. So what took place a few days ago was actually a last-ditch effort of moderates to protect Turkey as a secular state.

European governments as well as the US are praising the crushing of the coup as the preservation of a democratically elected goveenment. How decieved they are.

I said earlier that Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was revered as the father of modern secular Turkey. But this changed in 2002 with the election of Recep Tayip Etdogan, a hard line Muslem, who apparently has ambitions re-establishing and Islamic Caliphate with Turkey as its head. And he himself being the next sultan of such a caliphate.

Erdogan has in the last 14 years undermined the secular leanings of Turkey by introducing Islam into the country's fabric. Whereas the government and the Islamic religion were separate. Erdogan has brought Islam into the mainstream of Turkish society. Time will not allow me to spell out the details. But one can Google to see how Erdogan has virtually transformed Turkey into an up-and-coming Islamic State. And the scary thing is this has the support of most of the Turkish people.

One of the things that Erdogan did was purged the military of secular commanding officers and appointed those who were Islamic and loyal to him in their place. This is one of the reasons I believe that the last coup failed. Those loyal to Erdogan in positions of command authority were able crush the coup.

By now you're probably yawning and saying "why the history lesson"? "Like who really cares?" Brother and sister we need to care. Because Turkey may very well become the Gog and Magog of the North that will invade Israel.

People such as Joel Richardson, who is an astute student of biblical prophecy, have written about the rise of Islamic caliphate in Turkey. They have written about Turkey being the gog of the north who will invade Israel. They have been laughed at. But I believe after the events of the last few days. Perhaps people such as Joel Richardson may be taking a little more seriously.

Even people such as Glenn Beck and George W Bush have spoken about the rise of an Islamic caliphate the mid 2000's. They were laughed at. After ISIS came on the scene and declared itself a caliphate. The laughter stopped.

ISIS will probably be history in a few months. But Turkey and Erdogan bear close watching.

These are strictly my thoughts. This is strictly my opinion. There is no thus says the Lord. Strictly the thoughts of one who is trying to watch and pray.

Posted by Blaine Scogin.

2016/7/19 13:59

Re: Turkey and Erdogan Bear Watching

Islam will certainly have a prominent place to play in the end times. Though to what degree I cannot tell. But I wonder if Turkey will be leading the Islamic charge?

Just pondering this.

2016/7/19 14:22
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I was more nervous when the USSR was Gog.

On what scriptural basis do you say Islam will play a part in the end times? Is it based on anything besides geography?

And no, I am not going to read any Joel Richardson, at least not today. Prophecy books have an uncanny ability of bring embarrassingly wrong.

2016/7/19 14:49Profile

Re: Todd

Just watch and pray brother. Simply watch and pray. I'm simply suggesting that Erdogan and Turkey bear watching.

My thoughts.

2016/7/19 14:56
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

It is a humble admonition. I am not worried, but I am watching.

You know, every year we get reports in April or so about the expected levels of hurricane activity. The climate change crowd construes the information toward global warming no matter if more or fewer hurricanes are predicted. It is a regular atmospheric oddity -- global warming no matter how warm or cool the air gets.

This believer [pointing at myself] believes that a cascade of prophecy chatter from so many people of so many varying and opposing views of Scripture is a tool of Satan to distract us from the centrality of the simple truth of the bible. I am quite confident, and becoming more so, in my own understanding of things concerning the return of Christ; I've been a Christian since 1987, and this is new for me. It is also with an urgency I've never known.

So, I share Blaine's heart about why to post something like this. It comes from a heart of wanting us to endure, to persevere, to get before God and let the Holy Spirit do things in our own spirits that we have resisted until now. Whatever you think about the time of the end -- and it does matter what we think, what we understand, the substantive details of it -- surely we can agree on this one theme until we all come to unity of in the knowledge of Jesus:

"Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus" and "walk worthy of the calling wherein you are called."

2016/7/19 16:28Profile

Re: Tim

Agreed my brother. We are not to worry but simply to be on the alert. Or as one translation says watch and pray.

For sure we are to be anxious for nothing. For His peace will guard our hearts and ninds in Jesus. But we are told through 1st Peter 4:7, the end of all things is near. Therefore be sound judgment and sober spirit for the purpose of prayer.

Brother Blaine

2016/7/19 16:37
docs

Re: Turkey to play a prominent role

It might be this or it might be that as many say so why worry just be ready. That works to a degree except that Jesus said you would be able to see certain chronological markers and events announced by him long before. Admist all this he also said, "Behold, I have told you in advance, "so His word and not the newspapers should be the central focus of analysis leading to insight. The entrance of Your words give light O Lord.

Meanwhile, Turkey will be one of the final invaders of Palestine when events are coming to a literal dramatic culmination. It's not wrong to show a little interest in what is occurring in Turkey.

"The Nations of Ezekiel 38-39" - one of the best articles I have found on the subject from a pre-mill view if that is where you are at.

http://www.biblicalstudies.com/bstudy/eschatology/ezekiel.htm

2016/7/19 17:21Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quoting the last line of one of one of my favorite movies: "Why don't we just wait here a little while and see what happens."

2016/7/19 20:11Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Blaine wrote:

"Islam will certainly have a prominent place to play in the end times."

I agree.

A few years ago as I was studying Revelation I had a growing unease that Islam will play an important role in the end times. Until this point I had never heard anyone express this idea...it came as I was reading, pondering the end times.

Years ago we thought communism will be a dominate player in the end times but then Glasnost happened and communism no longer was a threat to world peace. Then we wondered at our understanding of who the dominate players will be in the endtimes. Back then someone said communism did not disappear, it just went underground. Today I understand this point and believe it is resurfacing. If communism and Islam were to join forces we would have a system that is totally frightening. Dunno if it will happen but it not beyond the realm of possibility.

For once I am glad to be old..not young like most here on SI.

Sandra

2016/7/20 10:07Profile
docs

Re:

It may not be a blend of communism and Islam coming together but I hear what you are saying. One thing Islam hates in any form is what it sees as unbelief and communism is founded on atheism. Islam's off the charts hatred of the Jew in its midst is what is compelling this latest surge in jihadism. It's not hard to connect that to Satan's plan to thwart any kingdom purposes that involves the Jewish people and Israel. That coupled with its hatred of the west plus Islam carries on a constant civil war internally. That's why so many Muslims are killed by other Muslims. It's built into the fabric of the religion. In their view apostates can be found within Islam if they aren't toeing the line doctrinally so they must be eliminated and purged. It's a monster devouring itself even as it preaches jihad against outside forces mainly the Jew and the west. Superstition and violence are two of the main spirits driving Islam besides Hades itself. To think that they covet Jerusalem as a prize jewel because a myth was floated in the 6th century that Muhammed ascended from a rock in Jerusalem. Not so! Yet eliminating the carnal seed of Jewry remains at the top of their list. I believe Islam will be involved but whatever form it takes Daniel described the fourth and final beast as "different from all the others, exceedingly dreadful" (Dan 7:19) and "one which will devour the whole earth and tread it down and crush it" (Dan 7:23). Thank the good Lord that "the court will sit for judgment, and his dominion will be taken away, annihilated and destroyed forever. Then the sovereignty, the dominion, and the greatness of all the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be given to the saints of the Highest One; His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all the dominions will serve and obey Him" (Dan 7:26-27).

2016/7/20 10:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy