SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Something to Consider about "The Old Testament"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
docs

Re: questionmark continuing

Sounds like a good idea to me.

In closing, part of my point was that in reinterpreting many parts of the OT in favor of a more spirtual interpretation and application the original meaning and intent of the original author, both human and divine, is taken away which is in fact a demeaning and lessening of the authority of the Old Testament. The OT never saw the Kingdom of God as devoid of the land and the earth. It doesn't need a make over re-interpretation because its authority remains.

2016/6/27 7:07Profile
docs

Re: Here's a quote questionmark

Perhaps it will add a little to some of the excellent points you raised in your post.

Quoting,

"As long as people keep working and thinking within the construct that there is an "Old Testament" and a "New Testament" that are different and at odds with each other we shall have problems. The Bible, as Adolph Saphir beautifully wrote, is a divine unity. In my view there is no "testament" anywhere in the Scripture. There is an old covenant and a new covenant, both made with the house of Israel, but there are no testaments that form a disconnect, disunity or discontinuity in the flow and history of the Word of God." (Mark Klafter)

I like your post and the many points and aspects you covered. Thank you.

2016/6/27 7:17Profile

Re:

The "land and the earth" was used as shadows and types of a heavenly kingdom just as the Temple and the altar was used as a shadow and type of something greater.

I am interested in seeing where questionmark is going.

2016/6/27 7:37
docs

Re: What is a entirely heavenly spiritual only kingdom?

Meanwhile, I'm interested also in the OP by questionmark.

2016/6/27 7:41Profile

Re:

JUlius said:

Docs, we have been over this. Let's return the thread to questionmark and see where he wanted to go with it.

questionmark, please continue. - End Quote

Thanks for your consideration Julius (and Docs), However, all I wanted to say was said in my original post. I suppose that I could continue on and explain how this revelation establishes many doctrines and puts an end to many debates, but I think it is probably best to resist that urge :)

In regards to your first reply to my post Julius, I would like to say this:

Jesus certainly confirms the eternal truths of the early scripture, Jesus fulfills the eternal truths of scripture, Jesus illuminates, explains and establishes those truths. However, one thing Jesus will never do is say or do anything that clearly contradicts those truths.

Their has to be some kind of measuring rod to test the things that Jesus and the apostles are recorded to have said. Not because we are afraid that they have lied, but to ensure that things were not greatly misconstrued during translation, and to provide clarity and context for some of their hard to understand sayings. When we try to interpret some of their hard to understand sayings completely through the revelation of New Testament scripture, you end up with more of the same mess with have to day - thousands of doctrines and opinions and no real way to ever to settle the matter. However, once someone completely recognizes and understands the true authority and importance of the early scripture (aka "The Old Testament") most of those debates can be quickly settled.

2016/6/27 9:29

Re:

Quote:
by questionmark on 2016/6/27 9:29:09

Jesus certainly confirms the eternal truths of the early scripture, Jesus fulfills the eternal truths of scripture, Jesus illuminates, explains and establishes those truths. However, one thing Jesus will never do is say or do anything that clearly contradicts those truths.

Amen, Jesus certainly provided further illumination, exposition and explanation of OT scriptures.

John 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
John 5:47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

The NT explains the OT in many, many instances, not the other way around. Apart from what Jesus referenced in the OT, it must be remembered that He is the Word made flesh and the ultimate standard. He is the Word of God, so whatever He said that one cannot find in the OT, it is ok, since Christ is the Authority and we are to listen to Him as I previously noted in Heb 1:1-2. Christ is "our measuring stick, ruler."

I am assuming we are in agreement.

2016/6/27 10:29
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Something to Consider about "The Old Testament"

QUOTE:

"They are absolutely indispensable to understanding the full power of the gospel that is revealed in the last 27 books. The first 39 books are the foundation on which the glorious gospel stands. And if you don’t recognize the authority and importance of those first 39 books, you will never be able to understand the doctrines that are taught in the last 27 books."

AMEN!

I love studying the OT.

David says, "I love they testimonies.." As one considers the definition of testimony it is a report of what one has seen happening. What David is saying is he loves the reports of how God works in the lives of people. These OT stories are so rich in their demonstration of who God is - it is beyond awesome. It takes a lifetime to mine the depth as revealed therein.

One time I was reading Paul's writings and was exasperated with what I considered redundancy. Then I noticed one thing: he was a Jew writing to Jews so I must learn to think and understand like a Jew, like the audience the text was addressing. So, to address this issue, I made a serious study of the OT law. In so doing the windows of my understanding were opened and now I understood perfectly the point Paul was making and why he was so persistent with it.

Yes, I get weary when people discount the importance of the OT...

Thanks for posting.

Sandra

2016/6/29 23:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy