SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : My Visit to a Church Last Night

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

What does "perfection" mean to everyone?

Does it mean that no one commits any sin or does it mean that everyone is holding fast to the Head and walking in love towards one another?

2016/6/20 10:29

Re:

HI Todd, you asked..........

"Is it better to be mile wide and an inch deep or zero miles wide and no depth? Because many people go to "mega-churches" that would not go otherwise."

Its a good topical question considering the days in which we live, for I am sure you agree, we do not live in a vacuum.
So, let me answer your question with a question. Is it better to be lukewarm than to be cold? That seems to be what you are suggesting, perhaps it is not, but how would you answer that question or better still, how would you imagine Jesus would answer that question?..........bro Frank

2016/6/20 10:46
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hey frank-

I guess it depends on how you define "lukewarm."

I would agree going to church on Sunday and forgetting about God the rest of the week is lukewarm at best. The problem is that there is a gradient.

EDIT: I understand Jesus hates lukewarmness and that he set the gradient at hot or cold. But even so there are varying degrees of "hot". Boiling water is hot but molten lava is hotter.

It would seem if a person is actively pursuing the Lord he would be on the right side of the gradient.

2016/6/20 11:52Profile

Re:

Todd,

I believe a lukewarm church would produce and attract lukewarm Christians. Not saying that yours is lukewarm, but just stating my opinion. Not going to get into the actual temperature of hot :)......... bro Frank

2016/6/20 13:29
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The matter of "lukewarmness" is pretty interesting.

Is a lukewarm believer a true believer? If so, is it better to be lukewarm than a non-believer?

I think the true import of what Jesus said in Rev is that lukewarm believers make him sick (i.e. vomit). I can certainly understand why he feels that way. The issue I suppose is whether a lukewarm Christian is really a Christian.

Perhaps that is a discussion for another thread.

2016/6/20 15:02Profile
Amastra

Re: My Visit to a Church Last Night

My wife and I had a similar experience two or three years ago while visiting family. My brother went to what is probably a megachurch in the making to which he had been invited and we went with him. It had the coffee shop, strobe lights, booming music, and theater seats (don't recall if there was smoke). As the music was booming the worship leader yelled, "Let's dance!" and everyone started jumping around like a bunch of jumping beans; very strange.
I do struggle with having a critical spirit so I don't want to sound as if I'm self-righteous, but it was tough to sit through.
My wife and I left quietly when everyone was doing their hippety hop but my brother's friend followed us in the parking lot and asked if anything was wrong. I may have been a bit ungracious in saying something like, "if I wanted this I would have gone to the disco last night."
It definitely seemed much more like an entertainment venue than a church. Admittedly, I didn't stay for the preaching.

Scott

2016/6/20 17:23Profile

Re:

Todd,

I believe there is only one reference to "lukewarm," in the Scriptures. If Jesus says He will vomit you out of His mouth, I think it can be safe to say that at best, this is a very precarious category to fall into. He goes on to counsel the same people to get treasure that is refined in the fire. They believe that they are rich but they are poor, they believe that they are blessed but they are wrethced. They believe that they are clothed but they are naked. They believe that they can see but they are blind.

And so, if they are rich in the material blessings of this world and they are focused upon it, it may be that they desire to be wealthy and are discontent. If the Lord says that the folks in Rev 3 from Laodicea required white rainment or white wedding clothes to cover their nakedness then He also says this in Matthew 20.........

And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen.
(Mat 22:11-14)

These are all the words and admonitions of the Lord. So I cannot say who fits into the categories of these words whether it is churches or individuals, but God knows. But they are His words and we should measure ourselves against what the Lord says and not against the lowest common denominator of behaviour in the lukewarm times in which we live. These words of Jesus carry danger with them, for the man in Matt 22 is taken away bound hand and foot and cast into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Jesus Himself says that many are called but few are chosen..........bro Frank

2016/6/20 17:32
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Indeed- it is exceedingly sobering.

2016/6/20 18:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy