SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Mount of Transfiguration...A Shifting of Redemotive History

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Mount of Transfiguration...A Shifting of Redemotive History

Luke 9:27-36

"But I say to you truthfully, there are some of those standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God." Some eight days after these sayings, He took along Peter and John and James, and went up on the mountain to pray. And while He was praying, the appearance of His face became different, and His clothing became white and gleaming. And behold, two men were talking with him, and they were Moses and Elijah, who appearing in glory were speaking about His departure which He was about to accomplish in Jerusalem. Now Peter and his companions had been overcome with sleep but when they were fully awake, they saw His glory and the two men standing with Him. And as these were leaving him, Peter said to Jesus, " Master, it is good for us to be here; let us make three tabernacles: one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah"--- not realizing what he was saying. While he was saying this, a cloud formed and begin to overshadow them; and they were afraid as they entered the cloud. Then a voice came out of the cloud saying, "This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him! And when the voice had spoken; Jesus was found alone.

Parallel accounts found in Matthew and Mark

Brothers and sisters we can read over the above account and skip over what God is saying because all of us are familiar with what is known as the Mount of Transfiguration. But I believe what is taking place here is a shifting of redemptive history. In Luke's account we see Jesus appearing with Moses and the Elijah. Moses represented the law. Elijah represented the prophet. Moses and Elijah were from the old covenant. Also they were discussing His departure which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem. I think it would be safe to extrapulate that they were talking about the upcoming death of Jesus on the cross. The death of Jesus would establish the new covenant. The center of the new covenant would be the cross of Jesus Christ. He would be the Lamb that would be slain for the sins of the world that would usher in the new covenant. The death of Jesus would be slain for us that we would be partakers of the new covenant.

The account continues with Moses and Elijah departing. Peter wanted to build three tabernacles for Jesus, Elijah, and Moses. Not realizing what he was saying. But then what is of great significance happens next. A voice from the cloud came from God the Father saying, this is My Son, My Chosen One, listen to Him! Thus took place a shifting a redemptive history. A shifting of redemptive history that came from God the Father Himself. A shifting of redemptive history that we under the new covenant are to listen to Jesus.

Notice that the Father does not say listen to Moses or listen to Elijah. He says this is My Son, My Chosen One, listen to Him! The shifting of redemptive history transitions into Christ being the final authority in the believer's life.

In Hebrews 1:1 we read,

... God, after he spoke long ago to the father's in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom also he made the world...

The book of Hebrews goes on to declare the superiority of Christ and the superiority of his covenant over that of the old covenant. Does Christ is the final Authority. He is the one we listen to. We do not listen to Moses or Elijah. Indeed we do not listen to the commands of the old Covenant.

The New Testament says that we are under a new law. And that is the law of Christ. By virtue of the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ and what he has done in redemptive history and the new covenant. We are compelled to listen to Him. His words carry greater weight than that of The shadow. As he is the substance. Even Moses and Elijah recognized the superiority of Jesus over their respective ministries. Just as a glory of the old covenant faded away as 2nd Corinthians 3 describes. So Moses and Elijah faded off the scene. It was Jesus that remained. It is Jesus that we listen to.

Again 2nd Corinthians 3 tells us that the glory of the old covenant passes away and the glory of the new covenant supersedes it. The Mount of Transfiguration is a pictorial representation of what Paul is describing in the third chapter of 2nd Corinthians 3.

The conclusion of all of this is that we are under a new covenant where Christ is a mediator. We are under a new covenant where we are governed by the Holy Spirit of Jesus. And not the law of Sinai. Jesus is our final authority and not Moses. Moses ministered in a shadow of the things to come. But the substance of the reality is found in Jesus. We are to listen to him as the final Authority in our walk with him.

These are my thoughts.

2016/5/30 20:45
TMK

NC, USA

Re: The Mount of Transfiguration...A Shifting of Redemotive History

Good thoughts Blaine.

When Moses and Elijah heard the Father's comments were they bummed out or overjoyed beyond imagination?

2016/5/30 21:01Profile

Re:

Can't really say Todd However, I choose to believe that they wereverjoyed beyond all comprehension. Remember they were in heaven. So they certainly got the revelation of who Jesus is. I imagine the response would be much like that of John the Baptist who said when the friend of the bridegroom hears The bridegroom's voice he is overjoyed.

Can't help but think a Holy Ghost party was taking place.

My thiughts bro.

2016/5/30 22:47

Re:

Todd I did some more reflecting on your question. I remember the verse out of John 8:56 where Jesus told the Jews that Abraham rejoiced to see his day. So my guess is that Moses and Elijah were rejoicing in the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Simply my thoughts bro.

2016/5/31 4:51

Re: The Greater Glory of Jesus

This morning I continued to reflect upon Luke's account of the Mount of Transfiguration. As I listened Luke 9, verse 32 resonated in my spirit,

... Now Peter and his companions had been overcome with sleep; but when they were fully awake, they saw His glory and the two men standing with him...

Peter, John, and Andrew sae The glory of Christ. Moses and Elijah were standing with Jesus in His glory. But Moses and Elijah were two men that had no glory. Other than the glory that they were standing in and that was Jesus. This is noteworthy as the glory of Christ surpasses even the glory of Moses and Elijah. For according to 2nd Corinthians 3 the glory of the Old Covenant has passed away in favor of the glory of the New Covenant which remains. Moses and Elijah were from the Old Covenant. That Covenant has passed away. It is the glory of Jesus in the New Covenant that remains.

Hebrews 3:3 says,

... For he has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses, by just so much as the builder of the house has more honor than the house...

John 1:14 says,

... And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw his glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth...

I can't help but wonder if John was thinking of that time on the holy mountain as Peter writes about. The time when John saw the glory of Christ on the Mount of transfiguration.

John 1:18 is a good commentary on John 1 14,

... For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ...

The greater revelation of Jesus Christ in the transition of redemptive history passes from law to grace. In this case grace and truth were incarnated in the person of Jesus Christ that He is the Son of God. He is the Word made flesh. He is the one that we listen to. Moses could make no such claim.

The third chapter of 2nd Corinthians shows the shifting of redemptive history from the Ild Covenant to the New Covenant. The New Covenant is that which remains as the Old Covenant has passed away. We as Believers in the Lord Jesus Christ under the New Covenant reflect His glory. For consider 2nd Corinthians 3 17-18,

... Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Brothers and sisters just as Moses and Elijah were reflecting the glory of Christ on the Mount of Transfiguration. So we also under the New Covenant are reflecting the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ through his Spirit transforming us as unto the image of Christ.

Our glory is not in the law of Moses. But our glory is in the Lord Jesus Christ and His new covenant. For this is the shifting of redemptive history. Indeed history is His story. It is His story of Jesus and His glory. Of Jesus and His cross. Against such things there is no law.

Simply my thoughts.

2016/5/31 5:20

Re: The Cross...the Center of Redemptive History

This morning I still continue to camp on the Mount of Transfiguration. Luke 9:30-31 records,

...And behold, two men were talking with Him; and they were Moses and Elijah, who appearing in glory, where speaking of His departure which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem...

As I continue to reflect upon this I can't help but think that the conversation was centering on Jesus going to the cross. Jesus who would be willing to take upon Himself the sins of mankind to affect their redemption. For this was the intended purpose of Jesus to come into the world to save sinners. He was coming to be the sacrifice for the sins of mankind. The gospel accounts open up with such statements as He will save His people from their sins and Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. All of Redemptive activity was focusing upon the cross of Calvary.

Further up in Luke 9 Jesus tells his disciples verse 22,

...The Son of man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and be raised on the third day...

All through his earthly ministry the cross was ever before Jesus. He knew that his ultimate destiny would be to die on a tree, on a Roman cross, to be the sacrifice for the sins of mankind. No wonder John declared,

... Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world...

Moses and Elijah, saw that coming fulfillment of everything to be accomplished. They saw that everything would be culminated on the cross of calvary. And no doubt in this they rejoiced as Abraham rejoiced to see the day of Christ.

All of the Old Testament law and Prophets and Psalms pointed to Jesus and his sacrifice on the cross. Jesus tells two of His disciples in Luke 24:44,

... These are my words which I spoke to you while I was with you, that all things which are written about me in the law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled...

A word that captures our attention in Luke 9:31 is "accomplish". As Jesus was talking with Moses and Elijah. The conversation centered on what Jesus was going to "accomplish" at Jerusalem. Another word that might be used us "fulfill". The text could easily be read what Jesus was going to "fulfill" at Jerusalem. Both "fulfill" and "accomplish" can be used interchangeably.

Knowing what Jesus was going to accomplish at Jerusalem will give clarification to the following verses in Matthew 5:17-18,

... Do not think that I come to abolish the law or the prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until Heaven and Earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the law until all is accomplished...

There are those who would apply these passages to teach the ongoing perpetuity of the law of Moses. I believe the text is better understood in light of the Redemptive activity of Christ. His ultimate redemptive activity of being the sacrifice on the cross. Thus Luke 24:44 can truly be understood to bring clarity to the verses out of Matthew. I will quote them again,

... Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill, but truly I say to you, until Heaven and Earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the law until all is accomplished...Matthew 5:17-18

... These are My words which I spoke to you while I was with you that all things which are written about me in the law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled...Luke 24:44

... He said, "It is finished!"...John 19:30

My brothers and sisters everything was finished! Everything was accomplished! Everything was fulfilled on the cross of Calvary! We can shout with the words of the hymn writer who said "Hallelujah! What a Savior! We can declare with the Apostle Paul who said may I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world" (Gal. 6:14)

Brothers and sisters let our boast be in Jesus Christ and Him crucified for us. For surely the law of Moses could not save us but only the cross of Christ. All of redemptive history focuses upon the cross of Jesus Christ. It does not focus on Sinai. But it focuses on Calvary. What our boast be in Jesus!

Simply my thoughts as gleaned from scripture.

2016/6/1 6:49
brothagary

Re:

I think there is a little more to the atonement then just the death of Christ on the cross,, and the bible actually teaches that the atonement continued after the resurrection, when Jesus enters the real holy place of god with his own blood and made atonement in heaven, the pains of death could not hold him in hell ,tho the eternal wrath of God was poured out on him , the perfect life he lived for us to impute perfect righteousness ,,

And also the death on the cross it had to be a bloody death ,,, so brother don't cheapen the atonement it's more then just the death on the cross that was only the beginning....

And brother please its geting stale that you think that some of us here have said the law of Moses saves us ,,,,,,can you post one sentence where anyone has said that , I never have seen any ever say that on sermon index ,, ,
Your preaching to the quire brother .......
I say this respectfully with a gentile tone ......

2016/6/1 7:07Profile

Re:

Dear Blaine

Where is your final authority?

If you say the scriptures, that was of the old covenant - to have commandmandments or the law which you would obey written down and which would be final authority.

The new covenant however has the law written on our hearts and the final authority is the revelation in our spirits from the Holy Spirit. The role of scripture is to confirm this authority within and to lead us to sanctification whereby we will know as we are known and need no man to teach us.

That is what is meant by having the living Christ with us rather than just writings.

Once we are in the Spirit, Christ Himself is acting within us and life pours out from Him alone with no mixture. It is the mixture that God condemns.

2016/6/1 7:30

Re: Brenda

--- "This is My Son, My Chosen One, listem to Him!...Luke 9:35

Dear sister my final Authority is Jesus. :-)

2016/6/1 7:55
brothagary

Re:

Sister with all respect ,blain andI will both say that the scripture is the final authority ,it is above and Beoned our personal revaluation ,, it is perfect and was expressed through gods chosen vessels, we are not chosen to express the perfect revaluation of gods teachings ,,we are not the pope ..

It's the other way around ,our witness in us confirms the scripture as the authority in all matters moral and spiritual,,,,,

God made that way that a root pride will not spring forth because of a abundance of revaluation , Paul had the messenger of satan to buffet him because he was the chosen one to bring this revaluation to the Gentiles ,,,,

Remember God said he is my chosen one , about Paul ,,,, not us ,and we should be content with that ,and seek prophecy and wisdom on the level below perfect revaluation .......

2016/6/1 8:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy