Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anger with God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Anger with God

Is it possible to be angry with God and not sin?

In other words, is it possible to be angry with God- perhaps even for a long season, and still not break fellowship with Him?

I am not talking about a situation where a person becomes angry with God and renounces Him and becomes an atheist.

2016/5/30 14:40Profile
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Re: Anger with God

Interesting question.

I've learned that if I get angry with God, I'm always the one in the wrong. That makes me immediately repent and pour my heart out to God instead. The anger goes away pretty quickly. Just like with lust, if you entertain it, even for a moment, instead of submitting it to God immediately, it crosses the line and becomes sin.

"Regular" anger teeters on the razor's edge of sin itself. It's unChristlike. It exposes sin in us, which is usually rooted in self-centeredness, self-importance, pride and idolatry. You'd have to be very sensitive, and immediately obedient, to the Holy Spirit promptings for it to NOT lead to sin because of the root of it.

However, there is a righteous anger (Jesus with the merchants and moneychangers in the temple) that isn't sinful. This kind of anger can be felt and not have it lead to sin.

2016/5/30 15:06Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Keith wrote:

"I've learned that if I get angry with God, I'm always the one in the wrong."

Hi Keith!

Why are you so quick to say that when you are angry with God, you are wrong? Are you saying you are wrong to be angry, or wrong about what you are mad about?

I am not so quick to say that it is wrong to be angry with God over certain situations. Obviously, God is God and does what He wants. I get that we must accept it. The issue on the table is whether we must always be happy with accepting it. Is God "big enough" to accept our anger without holding it against us?

2016/5/30 16:43Profile
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Re:

Hey Todd!

Quote:
Why are you so quick to say that when you are angry with God, you are wrong? Are you saying you are wrong to be angry, or wrong about what you are mad about?

Because, when I get angry with God, it's never a righteous anger. That would imply that God was unrighteous about something.

The other anger is an unrighteous anger. That kind of anger denotes self-centeredness, lack of humility and non-surrender in that area. It implies that my way, my way/preference/desire is better in the situation.

I want to always be submitted to God in all things; quick to repent and obey. If I'm angry with God about something, to me, that means I haven't surrendered that thing/area to Him. I don't care about "winning" or being right. I only care about being like Jesus so, if I find myself angry with God, in my eyes, I'm in the wrong. There's clearly something I don't understand, or can't see. I'm clearly not trusting His sovereignty or that He has my best interests at heart. I'm just plain old wrong.

DISCLAIMER: I'm never the last word on any subject. I don't know everything - or much of anything! I'm sure there are different situations or nuances to this subject that I'm not mentioning, but it's not my intention to. (Like being angry with God because your child dies, for example.) I'm speaking, in general, about the main two types of anger: righteous anger and every day, emotional anger.

2016/5/30 17:35Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I appreciate your statements. I really do. I suspect they are correct.

But the question still stands whether it is **wrong** to be angry with God.

I get the sterile theological standard Christian response. But I still ask whether it is wrong to be angry with God.

We often hear the story about how the author of the hymn "It is well with my soul" wrote this hymn after his wife and daughters went down in a sunken ship. We are amazed at his ability to right such words after such tragedy.

What we don't hear is how he went insane soon thereafter.

2016/5/30 19:12Profile
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Re:

Quote:
I appreciate your statements. I really do. I suspect they are correct.

But the question still stands whether it is **wrong** to be angry with God.

No problem. I like interesting questions, especially when folks aren't trying to debate them. I don't have time for the drama.

FOR ME, the blunt answer to the question above is simple: I don't care if it is or isn't. Anger is one letter away from Danger and I'm not buying any vowels. I just want to solve the puzzle, Pat.

I've said before that I'm a bottom line kind of guy. So, when I hear the question: "Is it possible to be angry with God and not sin?", my brain shoots right to the bottom line and skips all the in-between confusion and what-if'ing. It's a waste of time, in my opinion.

BOTTOM LINE: In the end, God is always right. Be angry and sin not. Ok. That tells me that getting angry is a natural, human emotion so it's not wrong. So, I'll acknowledge my anger instead of pretending I'm not angry. But, discernment tells me that there's no benefit, only danger, in hanging onto it. Punch a pillow a few times if need be, but be quick about it. Express it to God. He knows you're angry anyway and He's a big enough God to handle it. And then let it go.

Even then, the WAY we express it to God COULD become sin because with anger usually comes a lack of self-control. I refuse to take that chance. THAT'S why I refuse to let the anger play out, even in my expression of it to God. I don't want to be ruled by my emotions, especially anger. I won't nurse it or play with it because it's too big of a trap. Here's an example of the 60 seconds I choose to give the anger.

"God, I'm angry and I don't understand. I don't like this but I trust You and that's enough for me. I've surrendered all rights to myself over to You. One day I hope to understand but, at the end of all things, it's how I react that matters and develops my character so I choose to skip the drama and the mess altogether and go right to full surrender. I thank You for this opportunity to grow in maturity. Help me to learn what I'm supposed to learn from this so I don't have to take another lap and go through it again. I trust You to use this for Your glory and my benefit. Instead of focusing on the anger, I choose to look ahead for the blessing that comes out of this instead. You are God alone and I worship You!"

2016/5/30 20:02Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Haha! I actually chuckled out loud at your "wheel" comment. Well played.
The force is strong in you, young Skywalker.

2016/5/30 20:23Profile
dohzman

Re: Anger with God

If we are all honest I believe we have all misunderstood the Lord at times and that may have created certain emotions we would be required to work through as we draw closer to the Lord and strive to follow him. I do not believe that is at all uncommon.

2016/5/30 22:34Profile
brothagary

Re:

I think it is wrong and it is sin
God wouldn't give a law that says any who is angry with is brother with out a cause is in danger of judgment ,and then say but you can be angry with me ,with out a cause , some may say but I have cause to be angry with God ,but God say shall cup speak back to the maker and say why have you made me like this ...people hated Jesus with out a cause ,as it is written ,people were angry with God the son ,but kiss tho the son lest he be angry .....

2016/5/31 3:48Profile
brothagary

Re:

What is not of faith is sin ,Paul said it ,is anger of faith godly anger is but anything from the fleash is sin ,and common anger comes from the flesh..

2016/5/31 3:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy