SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Time for a really good think.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Time for a really good think.

This may just be another one of my weird rambles that exposes my nutty way of thinking and that’s okay. Even if no one responds to this, I’m fine with that. I just hope to get folks to think because I have a tremendous sense of urgency in my spirit.

As time flies by, our senses take in so much information: news, world events, local events, politics, conversations, natural and other disasters, terrorism, all things government, social behaviors, financial matters, health threats, advertising, entertainment, etc., Our minds are constantly being bombarded with bad news and evils of every imaginable kind.

What’s more, it’s coming from every imaginable source from children, family members, and places we shop, to governments, terrorists, mainstream news, and social media. None of us are exempt. Even our own homes aren’t safe anymore.

With all of this going on, and with all of the demands for our time and attention, when was the last time you got alone to really think? Kind of a “step back, take a deep breath, and collect your thoughts” session about life, everything going on, and what’s really important. I find that most people rarely go beyond surface level thinking.

• Are you really aware of what’s going on spiritually or are your reactions all physical ones?
• How is all of this affecting you, consciously and unconsciously?
• How are you spending your time, money and thoughts?
• How much of what IS taking up our time and attention nothing more than a trap, misdirection, distraction, and of no eternal value?
• Given where we are in biblical history, are you content with where you’re at spiritually?
• Have you evaluated your priorities and examined your habits, thoughts, actions and daily routine?
• Are you living eternally-minded or for this life, here and now?
• Are you coasting through, making excuses and not wanting to be involved?

What we spend our time doing and thinking about is where our hearts are. I feel strongly that it’s (past) time for followers of Jesus to examine ourselves, refocus and finally be fully surrendered.

Me? I’m saved. There isn’t enough praise in the world to thank Him sufficiently for this! So, in my eyes, I have ALL I could ever want out of this world. I’m taken care of. But I can’t be content with that because God’s not.

Right now is the only time we have left to affect His kingdom and how we’ll spend eternity. It would be so easy to continue life as usual but, considering all that’s going on in the world, we need to make the most of this time.

I see other people in a completely different light now. My anger at internet trolls, wicked people, bullies and hypocrites is changing to genuine pity and compassion. They’re dying and speeding their way towards hell as though they’re heading for their dream vacation.

Someone has to jump in front of these speeding cars and warn the lost, regardless of the cost. Someone has to stand in the gap. WE are called to do that.

Someone has to remember those who are being tortured, persecuted and killed simply for loving Jesus. Millions of people risk their lives daily to meet and worship Jesus. Many have fled their homes, jobs, and all that they have - and have to continue living on the run - just to stay alive!

How can I NOT examine my life; the way I spend my time, the things I seek after, and how I spend money? Time and money are resources that God has entrusted to me and I will have to give an account for how I spent them. But, even if we put that aside, how can I justify living leisurely, safely in a bubble, and comfortably while evil is running rampant and the lives of other followers of Jesus are on the line daily? How callous and self-centered does that make me to ignore it all? The excuse that there isn’t enough time to pray, be in the Word, and worship is just that… an excuse.

The “old me” wants to make a plan and run full speed ahead with it! I want to throw away my computer and spend as much time as possible with Jesus so I can be fully prepared for whatever comes my way. I want to remain in His perfect peace no matter what happens, relying on Him for my strength, ability, actions, and words. (Giving up my TV 15 years ago was easy. If it weren’t for all the sermons and teachings available online, I could EASILY live without a computer. But, am I willing to give up my computer?)

But I don’t want to make my own plans and do it my own way anymore. So, I’m examining every area of my life through prayer, fasting, and repentance, in the light of the scriptures and asking for the Holy Spirit’s help and guidance. I’m recognizing the many traps and distractions of the enemy as well as my own self-centered thinking and desires. It’s time to die already.

There’s no avoiding the world, of course. I’m NOT talking about hiding away. It’s the exact opposite actually. If I weren’t a follower of Jesus, you can bet your bottom dollar I’d be living in the mountains of Montana, growing/storing my own food, water and supplies and maintaining a very invisible existence just to avoid this world!

But…

• I AM a follower of Jesus.
• I DO care about more than myself.
• I DO trust Jesus with, and in, everything.
• I’m NOT afraid of anything, anybody, any government, any corporation, or any terrorist.
• I KNOW that I can do ALL things through Him because it’s all by HIS strength and ability.
• I KNOW and TRUST God as my Provider for EVERY need, in EVERY situation.
• I not only believe the Bible is true, I KNOW from experience and that it IS trustworthy.
• I KNOW God has a plan for me!
• And I want to show my love for Him by being OBEDIENT.

So, what am I going to do about it? Will I count the cost and back away? Or am I willing to TRULY surrender E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. and put God and others first? If not now… when?

I want to be a pure, spotless, loving bride that is fully surrendered to, and greatly anticipating, my Bridegroom!

Has anyone else seen the way this world’s time is winding down and had it cause them to examine their lives and refocus on things that have eternal value? (Putting away everything that has NO eternal value?) Does anyone else feel a sense of urgency in their spirit?

2016/5/28 17:40Profile
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Re: Time for a really good think.

The first person to respond to this thread was the Holy Spirit Himself, with a true story! I didn't go seeking this story, or this subject, out. It fell into my lap, at His direction, for my confirmation and encouragement!

While listening to a sermon on the book of James, a pastor came out with the following illustration, which I've transcribed:

Quote:
"This is a true story in Maine. Listen to what these people did and what they were confronted with.

A man had recently spent some summers in Maine and was fascinated by his companions who told him of their experiences in a little town named Flagstaff (not Arizona, but in Maine). The town was to be flooded. It was part of a large lake for which a dam was being built.

Because of this, in the months before it was to be flooded, all improvements and repairs in the whole town were stopped. What was the use of painting a house if it were to be covered with water in six months? Why repair anything when the whole town was to be wiped out soon?

So, week after week, the whole town became more focused on their NEW location and began to invest their lives in that. Why? Because they clearly understood it was a complete waste of time and money to secure their lives in that which was soon to be destroyed.

How many of you think the townsfolk in Flagstaff, Maine made the right, logical decision?

Now let's flip it around. Let's say the DIDN'T do that. They ignored the news of what was coming in the future. Can you imagine how miserable these people would have been if they continued to pour in all their finances, all their time, into maintaining that town; into maintaining their homes? "I got two days before the flood water's coming. Hey honey! Let's spend $10,000 and repaint the house!" Can you imagine how foolish that would have been?!

It would have been their own fault! How many times do you have to be told? What are you doing spending all of your time and resources on that which is about to be destroyed?

Then why is it that so many Christians are likewise miserable when we don't do what the scripture says to do? Stop living for this world, don't you understand this world's going to blow up one day? Why waste all of our precious resources - not just money but time, our talents, our tongue, on something that's going to be blown up..."

This is exactly and precisely what's been in my heart! All this scary, horrible, wicked stuff is going on in the world and we're trying to make it all better in THIS world! But this world is going to blow up soon! So why waste our TIME, money, pursuits, our actions and our words FOCUSED on this world instead of preparing for the eternal future that's ahead of us; investing all of our resources, blessings, finances and talents on enriching our lives there instead?

I love when the Holy Spirit let's me know I'm NOT crazy and that I'm on the right path! I explode with worship!!!

2016/5/28 23:19Profile
savannah

Keith,

You ask, "Has anyone else seen the way this world’s time is winding down and had it cause them to examine their lives and refocus on things that have eternal value?"

I answer, I have! And so also did this man, Robert Murray M'Cheyne. He wrote this brief article entitled, "Time is Short!" You may read it at the following link.

http://www.gracegems.org/30/time_is_short.htm

Here is an excerpt from the article,

Sit loose to the GRIEFS of this world.

"Those who mourn, as if they did not." This world is the valley of tears. There are always some mourning. No sooner is the tear dried up on one cheek — that it trickles down another. No sooner does one widow lay aside her mourning clothes, than another takes them up. Those who are in Christ should weep as though they wept not, "for the time is short." Do you weep over those who died in the Lord? It is right to weep: "Jesus wept." Yet weep as though you wept not, "for the time is short!" They are not lost, but gone before. The sun, when it sets, is not lost; it is gone to shine in another hemisphere. Just so, have believers gone to shine in a brighter world. It is self-love that makes you mourn for them; for they are blissfully happy. You would not mourn if they were with a distant friend on earth — why do you mourn that they are with the sinner's Friend? "They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more, neither shall the sun light upon them, nor the heat; for the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto fountains of living waters; and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes!"
"The time is short" — and you will follow soon. A few days, and you may be leaning together on the bosom of Jesus! You are nearer them today than you were yesterday. "The time is short" — and you will meet with all the redeemed at the right hand of Christ — we shall mingle our voices in the new song, and wave together the eternal palm! "Weep as though you wept not!"
Do you weep over those that died out of the Lord? Ah! there is deeper cause for weeping here — and yet the time is short, when all this will be explained to you, and you will not be able to shed a tear over the lost. A little while, and you will see Jesus fully glorified, and you will not be able to wish anything different from what has happened. When Aaron lost his two sons, he remained silent.
Do you mourn over bodily pain, and poverty, and sickness, and the troubles of the world? Do not murmur. "The time is short!" If you have believed in Christ, these are all the Hell you will ever bear. Do you think that the dying thief would complain of his pains, when he was within a step of paradise? So it is with you. Your Hell is dried up, and you have only these two shallow brooks to pass through — sickness and death. And you have a promise that Christ shall go with you, foot for foot, and bear you in His arms. When we get to the presence of Jesus, all our griefs shall look like children's' griefs! A day in His presence will make you remember your miseries no more. Therefore take courage, and run with patience!

2016/5/29 6:28Profile
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Re:

savannah,

Thanks for the link! I love Robert Murray M'Cheyne and wish we had more from him in the short time he was alive. It's as if there isn't an idle word in all he wrote. I especially like how he compares the death of a Christian to the setting of the sun -- gone to shine elsewhere, but will return again. I'm studying James right now, so the idea of our mourning a Christian who's died being due to our self love makes a lot of sense.

The illustration in the first reply, about a town soon to be flooded so they ceased all work to improve and repair the town to make it better, and started focusing on the new location and investing their lives in that really hit home with me. It's the perfect analogy of Christians in this life, especially at this point in biblical history. It's something the Holy Spirit is really driving home with me.

And yet, with all the cares and demands this world puts on people and their time... it's so easy to get so busy that we don't even think about it, so we plod on working to improve and repair this world (the one that's going to blow up soon) instead of investing our lives in our eternal home.

2016/5/29 10:58Profile
savannah

Re: Time is Short

AlmostHome,

So glad you are blessed by his writings!

Here's another brief excerpt;

The time of this world's continuance is short. "The end of all things is at hand!" "The fashion of this world passes away!" A believer stands on a watch-tower — things present are below his feet — things eternal are before his eyes. A little while, brethren, and the day of grace will be over — preaching, praying will be done. Soon we shall give over wrestling with an unbelieving world — soon the number of believers shall be complete, and the sky open over our heads, and Christ shall come! His parting cry was: "Surely I am coming soon!" Then we shall see Him "whom, having not seen, we loved." A little while, and we shall stand before the great white throne! A little while, and the wicked shall not be — we shall see them going away into everlasting punishment! A little while, and the work of eternity shall be begun. We shall be like Him — we shall see Him day and night in His temple — we shall sing the new song, without sin and without weariness forever and ever. In a little moment, brethren, all this shall be reality!

2016/5/29 11:22Profile

Keith

In answer to your question, yes I do feel a sense of urgency in my spirit, and the prayer of my heart is that the Lord will cleanse me anew and enable me to walk again as He walked.

The urgency is the desperate state of the world (though I do not see much of it having no television like you) but I read what is going on and the situation is very bad as Christians are without the power they had in the past, to bring in revival and have their prayers answered because of their intimacy with Jesus.

I am not concerning myself with when Jesus will come back to the earth as it says that no man knows. But I am concerned with how things are going for Christians everywhere in the west and the threat upon us from Islam whhich will be playing out in the future.

The Lord wants to have those that are entirely submitted to Him so that their prayers will be effective as it says that only the pure in heart will see God and can approach Him on the holy hill with clean hands and heart.

It is my only desire and I am having to fight for my life at present so that God can use me and not have Satan take me out too soon. Please pray for me as I am praying for you.

2016/5/30 10:53
AlmostHome

U.S.A.

Re:

Brenda,

Thank you for your prayers. Prayer is my favorite blessing from my fellow followers of Jesus! I don't know what the "fight for your life" entails, but God does. You're in prayer.

That's a good way to describe what I'm going through. I hope your fight isn't a physical one over a serious, possibly fatal, illness. If it is, I hope my comparison doesn't come cliche or offensive. But, I can't help but feel that there is a spiritual battle RAGING unseen all around me because of my personal revival and ferocious determination to damage Satan's kingdom.

I wish I was a good communicator. (Then my posts wouldn't be so long!) I wish I could convey what's truly going on inside me. It's desperate and fierce! The urgency in my spirit is MORE than just concerning the short time we have left here. It's so much more.

I feel like I've awakened from a coma and lost YEARS of my life. And right now I'm in "physical therapy." When I realize that this spiritual coma was from falling into the traps and deception of the enemy, it makes me ANGRY! All the time and blessings I've been robbed of! Well, I'm awake now and the enemy better tremble!

I've repented and now I'm healing and training with only one goal in mind - To love God and others intimately and do some major damage to the enemy and His plans. I don't care about my comfort or well-being. I lay down my life completely, giving it to the Father to do as He pleases.

If it doesn't bear eternal fruit or bring God glory, I'm done with it. No distractions!

Acts 19:15 says, "But the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?”

The enemy is about to learn my name.

2016/5/30 15:28Profile

Re:

Hi Keith

Thanks for your prayers. I very much appreciate them. And l very much identify with your feelings about lost time. It was my first thought when l was revived. Very deep regret for what l could have achieved over the years.

Indeed, the enemy comes in like a flood when revival comes. I was fascinated by the attacks - a store assistant walking past me began to mock me. Christians l was talking to would suddenly turn and be extremely rude. It was way beyond anything l had experienced before and l just stood outside of myself and marvelled!

I think that you are a very good communicator but maybe you have so much to say at the moment that you struggle to get it all out .

I am so encouraged by what you are going through as it brings back my own experiences and makes it all feel more possible for me again if you can understand.

My health is on a knife edge for a few reasons. One, l have been scanned and a lot of gall stones were found despite years of very healthy organic eating, and the next one to be passed, if it gets stuck will require emergency surgery BUT l am highly sensitive to all chemicals due to pesticide poisoning
especially anaesthetics and can take zero medications so that would be a crisis situation.

Next, l have untreated Lyme disease at a very late stage due to misdiagnosis. The NHS don't treat it nor accept it. It is destroying my organs and now my brain and l am losing function and cognition. My thyroid is being destroyed by my immune system and l have four other autoimmune diseases.

I am on an extremely strict grain dairy sugar alcohol potato nuts legume free diet for autoimmunity in the hopes of stopping the damage and turn things around. And l have no help or support being isolated from family who abandoned me long ago. God is my rock though and He is keeping me.

2016/5/31 14:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy