SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Am I In The Church Where God Wants Me To Be?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

As someone that has actually witnessed a church try and discourage people from having bible study groups at home, sometimes I wonder if all churches feel the same, but don't talk out loud about it. A lot of pastors don't want their sheep being taught by folks unless it's within the church walls, I know you stated prayer sessions, but my guess is they get the same support. I have seen church members go to church staff and ask about activities outside the church, that don't totally involve the church, they look down their noses at you.

2016/5/26 18:08Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re:

Quote:
by MrBillPro
sometimes I wonder if all churches feel the same, but don't talk out loud about it. A lot of pastors don't want their sheep being taught by folks unless it's within the church walls,

This isn't about nowhereelse's church but my experience has been that they do not talk out loud about it because they don't want to be seen as tearing you down among the people but boy do they talk among the pastors and leadership about it.

You didn't say this word but it's all about "control." And they can't control something about.

nowhereelse, years ago, I felt led to start a prayer meeting and I had it at the church, he gave me a key and everything but I can't remember him ever endorsing it from the pulpit and he never attended himself either. He let me put up signs and stand up and invite people but after 6 or 8 months the church folded and I stopped.

But I learned something (in the south), that people never go anywhere without talking to the pastor (covertly) first to get "his" opinion of what you're doing. And even if he is FOR your meeting, if it's not important enough for the pastor to attend, then not many others will attend either.

David Wilkerson said once (paraphrased of course), "If any pastor or person in leadership who doesn't attend our prayer meeting, they won't be in leadership long." He understood prayer and the importance of every person being there to pray.

Maybe you could change it to a "prayer" meeting where anyone with problems could come? Just a thought.

Many blessings with your prayer meeting and don't give up,
God bless,
Lisa

2016/5/27 7:15Profile

Re:

Unless it is the pastors idea, they often see independent actions of others as competition. The one time I was part of a church with the classic corporate structure of a pastor in charge of everything he had initiated home groups in his church as a response to home fellowships starting up in the area. But, there was no freedom for the Holy Spirit in the home groups as each group when they met had to go over the pastor's sermon last Sunday. So, it is about control and not letting the people discover that they don't have to look to a man for everything.

2016/5/27 8:05

Re: Am I In The Church Where God Wants Me To Be?

Dear No Where Else To Go,

I think that so many here have experienced what you are going through.
Always remember that wherever two or three are gathered in His Name,
He is in our midst.
In my forty years of being a born-again believer I've only found a few interested in corporate prayer, but don't let that keep you from praying alone or with just one or two. The danger is in just giving up.
That's what you feel like sometimes. But keep doing what Holy Spirit is calling you to do.
Sometimes you are standing in the gap and it's lonely! Be encouraged, the Lord is with you! You are encouraging me to keep on praying :-)

"Be patient unto the coming of the Lord. Behold the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh". (James 5:7-8)
Sis L

2016/5/27 8:50

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy