Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Pruning - A. B. Simpson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Pruning - A. B. Simpson

Days of Heaven on Earth
Thursday, May 19, 2016

Recently I passed a garden. The gardener had finished his pruning and the wounds of the knife and saw were just beginning to heal. The warm April sun was gently nourishing the stricken plant into fresh life and energy.

As I looked at that plant I thought how cruel it would be were the owner to begin next week to cut it down. The gardener's business now is to revive and nourish it into life. Its business is not to die, but to live.

So it is with the discipline of the soul. It, too, has its dying hour, but it must not always be dying. Rather we are to reckon ourselves to be dead unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Death is but a moment. We should live, then, as children of the resurrection, depending more and more on His glorious life. The fullness of our lives will then repel the intrusion of self and sin and overcome evil with good. Our existence will not then be the dreary repression of our own struggling but the springing tide of Christ's spontaneous overcoming and everlasting life.

Scripture
He purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit—John 15:2

2016/5/19 9:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy